1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/3/21 8:59 p.m.

1500 miles, has a really nice aftermarket seat, adjustable levers, both keys, better pegs, upright KLX110 bars  and one previous owner. Now its in my garage. Pretty sure I went full tuck/throttle in the first 60 seconds of ownership. Tires are garbage and hard as a rock but its so much fun. 

Not sure what I am going to do with the thing. But chunky tires and a skid plates are likely. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
9/3/21 9:07 p.m.

I live on a 2 lane country road that is 55 mph... I don't think I'll be buying one...

They do look a hoot, though.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/4/21 12:00 a.m.

From a billion horsepower Viper GTS to this. You goofy bastard.  I love you.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/4/21 12:05 a.m.

I'd look like a circus bear on one of those.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 12:12 a.m.
Appleseed said:

From a billion horsepower Viper GTS to this. You goofy bastard.  I love you.

I am bored and worked 18 months through Covid with no time off. I have some time to travel off and wanted cheap adventure that I could take locally. IE up the coast for 80 miles to get lunch and then back on some good roads. 

I am trying to keep myself from spending monster money on another exotic I have my eye on and bikes are keeping me sane right now. 

Plan is wheels, tires, pipe, and a few other things. Grom parts are so cheap its kind of hilarious. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/4/21 9:01 a.m.

Pssst... they make turbo kits...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 9:16 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Pssst... they make turbo kits...

They also make a 4 valve 190cc kit which makes the same power. Totally thinking about it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/4/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Ha! Or just go straight to DEFCON 1 and 4 valve 190 and turbo kit. What could possibly go wrong?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/4/21 12:22 p.m.

You know...  The top speeds for those seem similar to what my moped will be if I succumb to the impulse to throw a kit.

Though I bet the Grom has way better suspension and brakes.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 12:45 p.m.

Suspension is iffy. Rear seams fine front dives like a soccer player. 

I could cbr300r swap it with a kit but honestly I think it will be fine with another 3-4hp. Anything beyond that is mission creep. Going to start ordering parts tonight may do a bike thread if people are interested. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
9/4/21 1:02 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Yeah, do a bike thread. Groms are rad

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/4/21 1:16 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

You know...  The top speeds for those seem similar to what my moped will be if I succumb to the impulse to throw a kit.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/4/21 1:29 p.m.

Thanks a lot. I've spent the entire morning looking for Groms. Heard anything/ridden a 390 Duke/Svartpilen? Theres a shartpilen 401 in town for $5k, and I *love* the look and size.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 1:42 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Thanks a lot. I've spent the entire morning looking for Groms. Heard anything/ridden a 390 Duke/Svartpilen? Theres a shartpilen 401 in town for $5k, and I *love* the look and size.

I have ridden one, if you can get a used Svart 401 at or under MSRP right now you can ride if for three years and sell if for what you paid. Out here there is a year long waiting list for them. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/4/21 1:56 p.m.

O RLY? | Know Your Meme

That makes me happy!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 3:13 p.m.

So yeah I have an two brothers exhaust coming from a friend. I have a set of race tires in the trunk of the flex right now that I got with my cycle gear cash. Another guy that I know has fancy aftermarket wheels that I am getting for pennies.  Ordered some bark busters and new front springs and oil. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/4/21 5:57 p.m.

You just get after it. I admire that. Went to email the guy and the post is deleted for the $5k Svartpilen. Dammit!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/4/21 8:34 p.m.

So quick update. 

• Power Pure Michelins installed. 
    • 120 front 140 rear. 
    • Did it manually with tire spoons. (Do not do this pay someone)
  • Better brake pads. 
  • Oil change
  • Clutch adjusted.

So going to scrub the tires in tomorrow and see how it does. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/7/21 4:52 p.m.

Ok more parts here this week. 

Exhaust shipped. 

Bark Busters shipped. 

Frame sliders shipped. 

Bar mirrors shipped. 

Shark mouth battleship sticker for who bike (Backordered will be here in a few weeks)

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
9/7/21 8:53 p.m.

I really want the new Trail 125. Strap it on the motorhome & go anywhere on or off-road.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/9/21 9:15 a.m.

Damn it!  Why did I open this thread?

My wife is not going to be happy about my current browseer history....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/21 10:22 a.m.

In reply to EricM :

Wait about another 2-3-4 months. Bikes get cheap around us because riding season around here is only 6 months long, 8 or 9 if you're hard core.

People come to their senses and realize they'd rather have room in the garage for a snow blower and money to buy their kids the GI Joe with the Kung Foo grip for Christmas. 

That's when we strike.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/15/21 3:41 p.m.

Exhaust is on the bike, I also swapped the front springs and oil for something a little more suited for my weight. 

Couple things. 

The new tires are nice, but the 140 rear is slightly bigger then stock and it feels harder to get into a turn. not sure if its my imagination or the sticker rubber or the width. 

Adding 20wt oil to the front even with stock springs kept me from bottoming out, but it also makes the bike really harsh on the road. Its fun but not something I would do without the springs. Its like all dampening and stock rebound. It feels weird. Also the factory lists 220mL's for the oil. I let mine drain overnight and put 220 in and could not fully compress them. Took about 20 ml's out and much better. 

Exhaust is subjective but I got one with three different setups. Baffle + Plug, baffle and Open. Baffle only is pretty good. With a helmet on its great. Open exhaust sounds like you put bee's in a megaphone its terrible. But man do you get noticed on the road better. I can rev up and people actually hear the bike, its whisper quiet with the stock pipe. 

More fun to come. Going to use it to commute a few days as long as the weather stays cool, its ben 90+ around here even by the coast and I am roasting. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/16/21 9:17 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to EricM :

People come to their senses and realize they'd rather have room in the garage for a snow blower and money to buy their kids the GI Joe with the Kung Foo grip for Christmas. 

That's crazy talk. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/16/21 6:17 p.m.

Grom is gone. Friends wife test rode it and she had to have it. She is upgrading from a 100cc scooter to this. She is 5 foot even and maybe 100lb's. Her husband is an old stunt rider who has a GSXR1000 and he took it out for the "test ride" and came back with the biggest grin in the world. 

So I love the Grom style of riding just want bigger wheels as the potholes around here are insane. So DRZ400sm is next or something like that. I spent some time on a friends V2 Panigale and yeah in the dumb down wet mode with all the nannies on it was a lot of fun. Wish they made a 70hp give or take fully faired bike for fun and not track speed. Want to try his 660RS as well he thinks that is fantastic and likes it better then the duc.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2slpjDlK7k8sWUCUt2XWnPuboIJkiZ7hTsNCinQykcNUKQON1jB8TX5ogu8uRBI9