Spitsix
Spitsix HalfDork
8/10/15 9:01 p.m.

Anyone happen to have one of these sitting around for sale?

Link

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/10/15 9:42 p.m.

I don't think they sold the 750 Katana in the US. We got the 1000 in 1982-1983, and there was a 550 Katana but it was styled differently. I have a 1982 Katana 1000 myself.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/11/15 12:10 a.m.

I'll sell you 750 cans of tuna to attract the squids......

Spitsix
Spitsix HalfDork
8/11/15 8:29 p.m.

I didn't remember the 750 either. Saw the link and thought I would give it a try. I would also go for the 1000. Charlie told me not to take the Tuna!

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/12/15 12:49 a.m.

Wasn't there a gsx 1100 here in the US prior to the Busa arriving?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
8/12/15 9:51 a.m.
yamaha wrote: Wasn't there a gsx 1100 here in the US prior to the Busa arriving?

There was this model Katana 1100 in the early nineties, it was a sport tourer, and a Bob Costascat compared to a 'busa.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/12/15 10:51 a.m.

In reply to HappyAndy:

Well of course, then again, busas aren't as "big & bad" as people lead idiots to believe.....they're a sport tourer as well.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/12/15 12:58 p.m.

There were a lot of variants on the original Katana sold overseas. In Japan they had a 250 and a 400 that were essentially miniature versions of the big bike (I'd love to have one of those 250s, I'd put it on my fireplace mantel just to look at. They also reintroduced the full size Katana as an 1100 in Japan in the late 90s that was virtually identical to the original, with minor changes. I have a new old stock seat for my bike that is apparently from the reissued later version; it looks the same and fits the same but the vinyl upholstery is different.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/12/15 1:08 p.m.

Please take that horrible fairing off an otherwise solid looking bike.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
8/12/15 1:59 p.m.

The Katana was a polarizing bike, people either like it or they don't. The fairing is probably the most important part of the whole design.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/13/15 7:10 p.m.

I always liked the Katana. In all it's versions. I met a guy who was completely enthralled with his. I don' remember the year but I liked to hang out with him and assisted in prepping his bodywork for paint. He was very meticulous about it and it turned out amazing. I think his stories are part of the reason I have been so enamored by the sport touring segment.

I really don't know why they got such a bad reputation.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cRQfGCMwscMF9kddZzFrTo8yjV4z7WUraaaffn80sXpcorVJb6xcpUjPKt2GIIHn