wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/6/23 12:00 a.m.

Got stupid question, sold the WR250x to a older friend in the vintage motorcycle club so he could keep riding in retirement. Got a space in the garage for a fun runaround. I have the daily glide and the vintage stuff is so much fun and I have not lost a dollar yet still having fun. I want something for rainy days and weekend hilly slow speed fun. The Panigale may not be street legals soon.

I have been looking at XR1200 does anybody have any experience with the oil cooled head Sportsters. This looks like a fun bike, its a Harley which I love and they seem to have a good following of people turning them into duel sports, full cafe rares and actual track bikes. They seem to hold value well and sell decently so even if I lose a 1500-2K this over a year on this its not going to eat me up. 

Locally there is one that had the entire freaking kitchen sink work of parts from a single company put on it that I am looking at tomorrow. Another up north that is actually been used on the track. Just not sure if its a cool build and I am getting swept up in that or if I should just go out and get a MT07 and be boring. 

This is the actual bike being sold. Its a shop bike that was built for showing at booths but it's got enough mileage to 

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2010/february/feb1510-storz-harley-davidson-xr1200/

Harley XR1200 gets Storz Performance make-over | MCN

myf16n
myf16n New Reader
2/6/23 3:04 a.m.

I bought one 7 months ago (8K miles on it). I like it, but it needed work to be comfortable for a full day of riding. In stock form the suspension is absolutely terrible. The forks would top-out with the slightest bit of acceleration, and then bottom out with the slightest roll off of the throttle. The rear shocks would be better used as screen door openers. They sent every bump right into the chassis. Mid turn bumps would have it wallowing to the outside of the turn. I dropped $4k, yes $4k into the suspension and now it rides very well. The forks have been converted to cartridges and installed 2in longer Ohlins shocks. Now it handles pretty well. I need to replace the swingarm rubber(!) bushings next. They are known to be thrashed by a few thousand miles. Yes, the swingarm is mounted to the engine cases with rubber!

All that being said, it is a freaking TANK. It has 90hp and weighs an honest 570lbs and you feel every pound. I've only owned sportbikes since 1983, and had a DRZ 400 motard for a few years too. The XR was a bit of an impluse buy, and I don't regret it, but holy E36 M3 is it heavy.

The bike in the pic is cool, but with those narrow bars it's going to be very high effort to get it to turn. Big v-twins are tough on chains, stock XR's are belt driven.

Go to the XR1200 Owners Group Forum. They are smart, mature, and not shiny happy people. Thye'll tell you the good scoop.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 SuperDork
2/6/23 8:40 a.m.

I have a 2011. XR1200X.  The 08-10 XR suspensions left a lot to be desired.  The trick is to get the "X" suspension (OE on 2011-12)--I believe it's still in the catalog .  It's top level Showa from the day.  Or...go Ohlin$.  That Storz bike is pretty legendary and should be an excellent ride. 

I came over from a Buell M2 and then a XB12STT.  The XR is much heavier than the Buells but the build quality a also better--and I enjoy it every bit as much.   It has a tremendous amount of personality and you're never more than one gear away from the right gear.  The XR engines are very similar to the Buell motors and are much more sporty than XL motors, and are generally very reliable--just keep the oil clean.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/6/23 8:51 p.m.

Well loading up the car and driving out tonight around 7:00 to go take a look and drop a deposit if it passes. Basically getting the bike for free if I paid for the mods without installation. Just the wheels are 2500 used now. Hopefully it passes, if not I found a 5K mile one up in LA that has a bad fuel pump for 4900$ that is sitting in a collection and I know is 100% OEM and clean. 

Thanks for all the help guys 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/6/23 9:22 p.m.

I stumbled across them before I bought my Ducati GT1000 with similar HP/TQ but a lot less weight.  I think they're cool as hell along with the Indian FTR1200S, and would love to ride one or both.  I'm looking forward to your thoughts if you buy it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/6/23 11:09 p.m.

Well this was a disappointing end to a disappointing day. 

bike had every single part from them on it. Was clearly their shop bike and the one from the magazine. 

Looked like it had been left in the ocean for a few weeks. Every single nut, bolt, fastener and well everything metal had deep corrosion. 

going to get the stock one up north that I know the owner and calling it a day. I can live with cast wheels. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/9/23 10:46 p.m.

So I own the Storz bike. Price came down 50%, yikes, give or take and it was worth the risk. Picking it up tomorrow after work on the trailer has not run for a while. 

Going to send it out for dry ice blasting to remove all the corrosion and polish it all out. Going to get a over to powdercoat at home the stuff I cannot save with polish. Not sending out anything for chrome. Paint will be polished and sealed. Exhaust will need to be wrapped to hide the rust and those pipes are unobtanium. May send them out for coating if the price is decent to do so. Needs fluids and a battery which I have already in house. 

Should have it up and running around in the next week or so hopefully it's a decent fun weekend toy. 

Product photo of 2010 Harley-Davidson Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200

myf16n
myf16n New Reader
2/10/23 12:48 a.m.

Wow. 50% discount. Congratulations.

Saw you joined the XR Owners Group. Cool.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/11/23 1:15 a.m.

Home with the bike. Much better shape then I thought when I first looked at in the dark. Should have it on the road late tomorrow after a serious bath and a quick ride to AAA. For registration. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ULKjKHhWuIbc8D4YZjEjPwhrNhOZmjzR47OkbtyuX3oHjmpICnOAvcPj9LGyyjpw