1 2
wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/4/21 3:13 p.m.

Good to hear that fixed the problem 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/8/21 8:26 p.m.

Well, unfortunately the fix for the fuel gauge was temporary. Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the bike since the repairs, and the fuel strip gave up the ghost before I even left the driveway.

It's under warranty, but that is another 4h round trip to Baltimore to get it fixed again.

Forgot to mention - this is already the second fuel strip that the dealer put on the bike, the first one failed during their test ride...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/4/21 8:36 p.m.

Been a while since there have been any updates and there still isn't really one. But as it's another BMW bike update I figured I'll put it in here rather than start yet another thread:

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
2/17/22 8:46 p.m.

Well, the fuel smell is back. It actually never completely went away, it just became less noticeable.

"Research" on the Internet suggests it's either an issue with the car-like evap system these bikes have, or some other seals around the filler neck leaking. Either way it looks like there is a bunch of disassembly to be one, and it's similar disassembly to replacing the fuel strip so I guess I'll add that to the to-do list for the dealer. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/7/22 8:34 p.m.

Not about the R1200GS, but about the white R100RS in the video above. If you haven't seen the video, while the bike is not exactly what its colour scheme implies, it sports a Krauser 4V head/piston conversion that really wakes up this old aircooled lump. The conversions are pretty rare and parts are really hard to find, which is why I don't use the bike much. Especially as the very much dwindling spares stash resides in the Netherlands these days and the company doesn't ship abroad anymore.

Anyway, as with everything else, there is an FB group for people who own bikes with this engine conversion, and as I was casually browsing this evening, I see a few photos that have me go "hey, that looks like my bike". Turns out that the long time owner who had had all the work done had posted a few photos of what now is my bike, and he was surprised to hear that it's still around.

Say about social media what you want, but it's cool when they enable things like this.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
WD9A2Kfk57taqOvwtNijaY73QAOCOz8HxRJLqYIEGR9SCGe7toJ39h2EQYluFksz