914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 6:39 a.m.

An impulse buy.  1975 one owner, 19,000 miles.  Hasn't run in 25 years.

Will add more pics later.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/24/20 7:28 a.m.

Very nice, especially as it has some (all?) of the unobtanium parts on it like the exhaust and the grab handle behind the seat.

You probably know this already, but if it's sat for this long I would not try to start it without changing the timing belts.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 7:45 a.m.

Oh yeah!  Timing belt first no matter what, very cheap insurance.  I'm in the middle of refinishing four front doors on my house, finishing a boat and painting the trailer, but I did find time to PB Blaster the cylinders.

Thanks.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/24/20 8:07 a.m.

So jealous!

Get some euro handlebars, clean up the chrome and leave the rest alone. 

8/24/20 8:11 a.m.

Get rid of that shelf thing and the horns. 

Can't stop looking at this bike. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 1:03 p.m.

What??      86 the horns? 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/24/20 5:55 p.m.

Hmmmm....  My boss texted me Happy Birthday wishes, "What are you doing to be busy?"

Well, resurfaced the 4 front doors, painted a boar trailer and bought a 45 year old motorcycle.

ohhh, what?

I sent her a pic of the red GWing.

"My Dad may be selling his Honda 750 because he's going in for heart surgery."

Hmmmmmm....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/25/20 3:49 p.m.

Got a chance to wipe it down a bit and took inventory.   Looks good, some anomalies-blemishes on the tank, but hell, I had some when I was 45 years old.  Looks like I will be heavily invested in 00 steel wool and chrome polish.

The lady had six keys but none fit this bike, so I can't open the tank yet.  Exhaust is toast.  The puddles & kitty litter is from PB Blaster and ATF I put in in the cylinders.  NY requires an annual safety inspection, tag on the fork is from 1989 so it hasn't been on the road since then.

Looking forward to this.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/25/20 3:57 p.m.

Is it just the downpipes that are crumbling or the mufflers as well?

You should be able to find some half decent used downpipes but as you know, the mufflers themselves are rarer than unicorn farts.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/25/20 5:55 p.m.

I will have to go for head pipes I will use aftermarket pipes.  Purists need not reply.

It will be a while before I can dig into it.

8/25/20 6:02 p.m.
914Driver said:

I will have to go for head pipes I will use aftermarket pipes.  Purists need not reply.

surprise

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/27/20 4:23 p.m.

OMG!  Removed the exhaust, had to weigh 60 lbs.!  Local mouse Food Bank.

APEowner
APEowner Dork
8/27/20 4:49 p.m.

Cool bike.  While you're checking things see how the steering head and swingarm bearings are.  The swingarm bearings are probably fine but the steering head bearings are likely shot.  Both can give you weird handling and the steering head bearings are part of NYS inspection.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] Dork
8/27/20 4:51 p.m.

Beautiful!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/20 10:15 a.m.

I should move this to the Build section.

The engine is free but not happy about it.  Disassembled everything, getting the carbs off is a witch!  Look at the headlight shot above and one now, my fingers are killing me from the 0000 steel wool. 

The gas tank is fake, it's really a glove box in the center and the side covers flip down to give access to electronics on the left and radiator tank on the right.  The red handle you see is an emergency kick starter.  The actual gas tank is under the seat.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/20 10:19 a.m.

The lady I bought this from also had a 1982 Aspencade with all the junk on it.  1100 cc for $500.  I've considered going back for it, but that would I do with it?  Naked Wing?  Get it running and flip it may almost be a break even deal.  Put the engine in the back seat of a tiny car?    Hmmmmm....

9/20/20 10:25 a.m.
914Driver said:

What??      86 the horns? 

They are gone laugh

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/20/20 1:48 p.m.

If you still don't have a key, check for a key number on the ignition lock cylinder. There are lots of new old Honda keys on eBay. You can probably find one there.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/20 6:59 a.m.

Thanks, got one from a supplier at Naked Goldwings.com   $15.

Yep, horns are off but still here and work.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/20 7:06 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

1. that's a pretty bike. clean-up with mild bolt-ons, or are you going full Lakewood on it?  ;-)

2. $15 seems like a really good price to not have to berkeley around with other key solutions / workarounds.

3. i hope there are still some barn find GW's available when MonZora is done. i think a GW build would be fun.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/21/20 7:50 a.m.

That is a heavy exhaust full of a family of mice! 

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/21/20 8:01 a.m.

I really like the looks of these bikes without all the fairings.  Cool project.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/23/20 2:32 p.m.

Gonna be dead stock Angry.  Perhaps aftermarket exhaust, cocktail shakers?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Opj0261LS43b14ICZoEA8BskyvPTIf13bHexiNyURYxexmgSKLARuZ0K3oN4pg4