1 2 3 4 5
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/17/21 8:03 a.m.

Well, the valve gnomes with their little hammers operating the valves sound pretty healthy . I would check valve clearance but I wouldn't be surprised if they're within or close to being within spec. The valvetrain on airheads from the /5 onwards is pretty noisy, and the early ones like the /5s and /6s have especially noisy valve trains. I'll see if I can dig up the info about retrofitting the later valvetrain setup that quiets them down somewhat.

That wiring harness looks like it's may have been replaced - I don't think I've seen one that clean and new looking for a while. Although seeing my favourite domestic connector blocks in there suggests that there might be additional work waiting for you.

Good news is that you should be able to find most of the parts for it fairly easily, at least fairly easily compared to a lot of Japanese bikes of similar vintage. I'm not that up to speed on US suppliers for Airhead parts (need to look, because R100RS needs some parts) but the UK suppliers I've used in the past (Motorworks - http://www.motorworks.co.uk/ and Motobins - https://www.motobins.co.uk - both supposedly ship to the US and sometimes have parts you can get in the US) and IME ship parts quicker or at least at the same speed as US suppliers.

I'd start soaking the two exhaust nuts and thread in your favourite penetrating oil for a few weeks and try to get them off after that. You really don't want to end up with damaged threads on the exhaust stub that goes in the head.

Overall it does look like a good basis for a restoration. Looks like all the special /5 parts are there, which is a bonus.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/18/21 9:20 a.m.

At first when I clicked onto this page I didn't see any tech articles: https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm   I was looking for some wiring diagrams for the R60/5 and arrived at the page from a search. I was in a hurry and didn't take time to scroll. Another search led me back to the same page. Then I realized that Timo had sent me a link to the page already for info about exhaust nuts. There was a lot of great, detailed info there. Soon, I was no longer looking at the tech info, but reading the stories, enjoying the pictures, and sharing it with my wife. If you have time for some web-page reading and enjoy machines, history, and sage advice; Click, scroll, and enjoy. There's a lot there: https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/ 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 1:45 p.m.

I just bought the BMW special tools he had for sale: dogbone wrenches, point gap tool, exhaust nut wrench, and torque adapter. https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/sale.htm#

One of you may be interested in this:

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/18/21 3:45 p.m.

Before you tear into your new bike, you can build this.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 4:00 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That is so awesome!

• Includes museum issued collector's manual. Official BMW licensed product.
  • 200 part kit. No glue or special tools necessary; build it yourself in about 3 hours
  • 1:2 scale transparent working model; see all parts move through the high quality plastic casing
  • Working five-speed gearbox; flip through the legendary BMW gearbox and witness the engineering
  • Original engine sound; recorded from an actual r90 airhead flat six. Once built, press the button and experience the engine's sights and sounds

I'm going to have to leave that open on my browser for a few days and hope that Mrs AAZCD or one of my kids sees it and thinks it would be a great gift. I'm picking up a bunch of parts tomorrow and already feel guilty about overspending on myself.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/18/21 11:24 p.m.

Looked at the carb bowls after not having good progress with adjustment. Right side looks great, left side was nasty/crusty/gummy sealant/bad with an old JB Weld repair. Found and bought one on eBay Motors Clean, missing slide and main nozzle. For parts”, along with a carb gasket set. Should be an easy fix between the two.

I did verify that it is the correct side & part (Bing 1/26/111).

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 11:34 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

That is WAY cool. But even with the parts being clear, I still can't see all the parts that must be gold plated....

3/19/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

See if you can get Ethanol compatible floats for these if they don't have brass floats. At least for the Bing CV carbs that are on the R75 and later models, that's generally a good thing to have and sometimes a necessity.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/19/21 5:52 p.m.

Local CL shows an R75/5 toaster for sale at $6500.  Coppery colored and looks pretty good.  

3/19/21 5:57 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

If it's in good shape and doesn't have interstellar miles on it, that's close to what I think market value for a 75/5 is atm. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/19/21 7:36 p.m.

1973 LWB w/46k and on review looks really nice.  Some mods-Mikuni carbs, Corbin seat, replacement mufflers, Siebenrock valve covers, Ikon rear shocks.

Are these appreciating?  I'm not familiar with them or the BMW nomenclature at all.  I get the 50, 60, 75, etc but what does the /5, /6 refer to?

3/19/21 7:58 p.m.

That's the generation. The /5 was the first generation with the cam below the crankshaft and was the foundation for the airheads until the mid 90s when they were superseded by the R850 and R1100 oilheads. There are basically 3.5 generations- the /5, /6 and /7s, plus the monolever bikes at the end of the run.

They all share the same architecture but improved between generations - the /6 got disk brakes and capacities up to 900cc, the /7 got an improved frame and begat the RS, RT and GS models. 

/5 LWB is nice because it's a bit more stable at higher speeds. The rest of the mods may make it a better rider (although I find the Bing CV carbs that this bike should have come with very nice and useable if they have been maintained), but make it less attractive to the rivet counter set. Plus, usually you don't need a Corbin seat on these, the OEM seat is one of the best BMW ever fitted. They money that's asked for this one is more or less what you'd pay for a nice original one, so it boils down to if you want these mods specifically or not  

If you're looking for something that may appreciate you want one of the halo models like an R90S or an early R100RS (ideally the Motorsport model, but they're really hard to find), or as the best bet, an unmolested R80 G/S or R100GS. Good luck finding one of those, though.

if you want one to use regularly, the best choices are usually the mid-80s R80s and R100s. At that point they had worked out most of the bugs, they have the later disk brakes with better calipers and are better on fuel and have more power than the monolevers. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 8:24 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) :

Great explanation. As a "K" fan (ever since they first hit the showrooms) I knew enough beemer data to get the gist of it, but that filled in a lot of gaps. I almost bought a 82 R80 with aftermarket shocks, in the mid 80's to ride while I redid my chopper (again), but settled for a $500 UJM. I'll prolly try one one day, if my finances every recover, alas, that ain't lookin' too good.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/19/21 8:39 p.m.

I gotta get the Shovelhead sold first then maybe look at another bike.  

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/19/21 10:55 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I gotta ask about the shovel... doubt I could work anything out, but I just can't not ask!

I remember as I was first getting into HD's, all the die hard panhead guys (most didn't even want a "honda button" on their bikes) swearing shovelheads suck / pan's rule! I never understood, since the shovel is a more advanced design, with a number of improvements. I became a shovelhead fan, and then the evo came out. Now I'm not a guy closed minded enough to yell at ya that shovel's are better, but I never did warm up to the evo's. Still prefer a shovel myself.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/19/21 11:23 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to wawazat :

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I gotta ask about the shovel... doubt I could work anything out, but I just can't not ask!

I remember as I was first getting into HD's, all the die hard panhead guys (most didn't even want a "honda button" on their bikes) swearing shovelheads suck / pan's rule! I never understood, since the shovel is a more advanced design, with a number of improvements. I became a shovelhead fan, and then the evo came out. Now I'm not a guy closed minded enough to yell at ya that shovel's are better, but I never did warm up to the evo's. Still prefer a shovel myself.

Just bumped my Shovelhead thread.   Sorry for clogging up your thread AAZCD!blush

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/22/21 2:36 p.m.

I'm about to look at an R75/7. Mrs AAZCD saw me looking at it on Facebook Market and said, "That looks like a nice one. You can buy it for me." ...how could I say no. It looks like it has sat for at least a year after not selling in a previous ad. I am ready to walk this time, but hoping for a good buy.

3/22/21 2:40 p.m.

Those have the "fun" ATE calipers. Check carefully for brake operation as they're a tad of a PITA to set up and maintain.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/22/21 4:10 p.m.

I think I'm going to sell one of the Boxsters soon...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/22/21 5:32 p.m.

Did you buy TWO of them now?

3/22/21 6:44 p.m.

That looks quite nice. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/22/21 7:14 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Did you buy TWO of them now?

As I remember it, you told me that I should buy SIX for every car I move:

mazdeuce - Seth said:

So did you buy it then? You know you can park approximately six motorcycles in the space of one car.....

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/22/21 7:28 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

That looks quite nice. 

It's a lot prettier than the R60/5 and I can ride it on the road as soon as I get the registration done. It needs a good refreshing though, new fluids, replace some cracking rubber, etc...

I was just looking for parts when I saw it. ...and this does come with some parts. Ad from last year and fresh ad from a couple days ago:

He stopped riding it 1-1/2 years ago and it has sat outside or under a car port ever since.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/22/21 10:26 p.m.

Honestly, I like the R75/7, but to me the R60/5 is much cooler. The biggest benefit in buying the second one is that it takes the time-pressure off getting the other one rideable. Mrs AAZCD rode dirt bikes plenty in the past, but does not have her street license. I'll probably have her start out on the XT225, because it's so light and easy and she is barely 5' tall. For now, they are all mine to ride.

I was just trying to pull the add back up on FB, but can't get it. Although here's a very clean early R75 JUST LISTED in Tn for anyone looking:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/141100014507665

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
3/23/21 10:04 a.m.

Just bought a few new rubber parts. This looks like a good eBay store for Airhead stuff: EuroMotorElectrics

Lots of new parts to keep these bikes in shape.

At the moment, my only challenge with the R75 is getting the gas cap open. The seller told me it was stuck before I went to see it. So far it has not yielded to penetrating oil. Hopefully tonight after work it will be freed up.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gTFcX3lerjhicklPV1xHCiuTVYJQqwuDSTRrzrs83Xx1kqUp5YWC0qP6rcss4wGf