BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/19/22 10:41 a.m.

Some ideas around what I'd want to get as a replacement for the GS are forming, and as usual they seem to be not that easy to find using the usual local resources like FB or CL. For cars there are meta search engines like Autotempest, is there anything similar for motorcycles or am I stuck with trawling eBay, Cycletrader, FB, CL and forums manually?

Yes, I realise I'll end up trawling the forums manually, but something meta for the rest would be nice.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/19/22 10:46 a.m.

This is highly relevant to my interests. I have yet to see something like this.  

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/20/22 8:52 p.m.

Not that I've found and I've been looking. you can add rumble on to your list though. It's clunky and somewhat counter intuitive to use but it has some bikes I'm not seeing anywhere else.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/20/22 10:45 p.m.

Use SearchTempest. Narrow the search down to motorcycles in the fine tuning boxes. That's the best I got.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/21/22 12:12 a.m.

Short version of suggestion I made for frenchy :

After opening local Craig's, and selecting motorcycles (or searching for specific) look for where the local Craig's is looking (name of town) . There is a drop down (or at bottom of list) that says "use map"

When ya check that, you can zoom the map out to 250 mile radius circle, and move it around different regions. 
My favorite. 
Can give clearer instructions if needed

Clear as mud, so far?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/21/22 3:08 p.m.

I'll give SearchTempest a try, thanks for the suggestion.

Searching CL with a larger radius isn't really going to be that useful as some of the stuff I'm keeping an eye out for at the moment is pretty rare (like between zero and low single digit numbers of the model currently for sale in the US). It's enough of a pain to keep up with the various forums that manually checking CL is just too much of a time sink and then I still haven't checked FBlah...

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/21/22 4:43 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Searching CL with a larger radius isn't really going to be that useful as some of the stuff I'm keeping an eye out for at the moment is pretty rare (like between zero and low single digit numbers of the model currently for sale in the US). 

OK, now I'm curious. What's on the list, if you don't mind sharing?

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/22/22 1:20 a.m.

If there are only a couple in the us, Craig's wouldn't seem to be the place to look, then. But I have no suggestions, never coming across "rare" and "cheap enough I can afford", except by accident!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/22/22 10:45 a.m.
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) said:
BoxheadTim said:

Searching CL with a larger radius isn't really going to be that useful as some of the stuff I'm keeping an eye out for at the moment is pretty rare (like between zero and low single digit numbers of the model currently for sale in the US). 

OK, now I'm curious. What's on the list, if you don't mind sharing?

I certainly don't mind, although some people might be wondering if my brain is firing on all synapses. But then again, people have apparently been asking that question for a long time .

Here's the (abridged) list:

• BMW K1100LT (in good condition with working ABS - the latter is usually the deal killer), so far I've found less than 10 advertised in the US
  • BMW K100RS 16V (same issue with the ABS and condition) - I'm aware of two for sale atm, one of them might be an outdated ad
  • Moto Guzzi SPII or SPIII - not aware of any for sale right now in the US
  • Moto Guzzi Norge - probably the easiest to find out of the bunch as I think there are probably 10-15 for sale atm that I'm aware of
  • Buell XB12XT Ulysess - again, only a handful for sale, and condition/neglect seems to be a bit of an issue with these

None of the bikes above are that expensive, the Norge probably being the most expensive and even those are about $5k-$6k in good condition.

Then there are the "can you hang on for 30s while I pawn grandma" bikes, not that these would make a usable semi-daily, but there's always space in the garage for one of these even if I have to sell off another bike:

• Krauser MKM1000
  • 80s & 90s Bimota - with few exceptions there actually not that expensive for handbuilt Italian exotica
  • Magni MB1/MB2 - I doubt that there are any in the US at all, and I haven't kept an eye on the European market in the last few years
03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
10/22/22 12:16 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

The first half of your list is all stuff I've looked at in the last few years. With the large radius, I can put in "motorcycles" "bmw" $125 to  $5555 and search  the entre US in about 15 min. Then change to moto guzzi, do it again. The price limit weeds out the ones I can't afford. (I limit to $3333)

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/1/22 2:46 a.m.

Here's a Ulysses posted recently:

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/867870791322504/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mLVrDwX5lG2RRLNOyBogBHcA2l9UnkSfWkvsY5K4XJ5VObYfplwLWZo0h1KB2v9p