Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) Dork
7/20/20 12:27 p.m.

Hey guys, 

Yesterday SWMBO and I wrapped up our 20 hour motorcycle safety course and passed! 

So of course that means adding a street legal bike to the fleet.

Currently we have 

-1984 Honda Elite 125 scooter

-2004 CRF230F

-2000 XR400

So the scooter is the only road legal bike we have, and we want a second one to go riding together for the rest of this season. I'm 99% sure it's possible to convert one or both of the dirt bikes to legal status, but it's not an easy thing. Need all DOT lighting, speedometer, DOT tires, etc, then pass a safety inspection. 

I'm thinking of buying either a '93 XR250L  listed locally or a new CRF250L. Then possibly converting the XR400 to legal status when I've got time for another project over winter.

What would you chose? I'll probably use it for commuting to work on nice days (50mph road) as well as evenings rides. I'd like to keep it a Honda, I know a DRZ400 is probably the best fit for my wants.

I know the asking price of that XR is high, but street legal XRs are rare around here, same with legal CRF230s. I'm located in the middle of the Canadian Praries (Winnipeg) for reference - so that price is about $2350 USD. Insurance for >500cc bikes here is nuts, so XR650s are probably off the table. An XR650 is $1400 a year vs $800 for a plated XR400.

Basically is fuel injection and electric start plus newness worth double the money? The CRF250L is porky for it's size.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
7/20/20 1:45 p.m.

I made fun of friends with electric start dirt bikes, until I got my Beta 520RS............electric start is nice. Although kicking over a 250 shouldn't be to hard.

Unless you have to rejet the carb on a regular basis the fuel injection isn't a must have. Sounds like you're riding conditions will not be that varied.

As for the CRF being porky; how much off roading are you going to do on it? The XR250L, the XR-Ls are not light but they are solidly 40-50lb lighter. The CRF also has 8-10 less horsepower, not that the XR250 is a rocket but it will get out of it's own way in traffic.

The only possible drawback to plating an XR400 is the tires; the more street friendly tires suck off road and off road tires suck on the pavement. The 90/10 on more serious dual sport bikes are OK on pavement and passable as long as you are not in real loose rocky soil.

My vote is get a cheap XR250-350L ride it around a while then install the dual sport kit on your XR400 over the winter (I think the parts are around $400 US)

Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) Dork
7/20/20 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Not sure how much off-roading we'll be doing. Probably 20% of the time if I'm using it to commute? Nothing hardcore either, just exploring some trails.

40-50lbs is a fair bit for a bike. Not sure how they compare feel wise, or where they carry the weight. Horsepower is probably quite close from what I've read, the XR-L has less than an XR-R but that particular one gains some back with the exhaust. Wikipedia says just under 20hp for the XR and Honda claims 22hp for the CRF.

Thanks for the tip about the tires, I hadn't really thought of that. I've read the biggest negative to a plated XR400 is the gearing. You either end up screaming on the highway, or slipping the clutch a lot off-road since it's only got 5 gears and they're not that wide apart.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/21/20 8:03 a.m.

I had a dr650. It was really nice for short trips and logging roads.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
7/25/20 10:10 a.m.

A couple notes, I guess.  Plating the XR maybe be iffy on a couple fronts.  Firstly, you may do all the work and then find that when you go to register, they look at the VIN and just say no.  Then, there is the problem of insurance.  You may get it insured, but in case of an accident, again, vin says off road, and your insurance may go byebye.  Ponder carefully. 

XR250l's were cool bikes, but there are not many around, and parts may be an issue.  I'd be tempted to look it up on BikeBandit and see what their availability looks like for common parts. 

So, I'd be tempted toward the CRF or something of that type.  (xt250, klx250, klx230 - I think one of those could be really fun) 

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] Dork
8/8/20 10:26 a.m.

Brought home a new 250L last night, pretty happy so far!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/8/20 11:18 a.m.

Cool!  I was gonna say Africa Twin until I read about insurance. I think I'd get the Africa Twin anyway and sell one or 2 of the others to offset insurance 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/9/20 5:52 a.m.

Africa Twin is a massive, heavy machine.

fornetti14
fornetti14 Dork
8/28/20 8:42 p.m.

Nice purchase!!

I recently bought a '14 CRF 250L from my uncle who barely rode it.  Only 600 miles on a '14.  

Love the bike!  Lot's of fun, plenty of power for me.  I added a windscreen and rear rack from Amazon (like $70 ea) and I find it easier to ride now if I'm going 55 or 60 mph.

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
8/29/20 12:48 a.m.

Speaking of heavy, I have a BMW F-650 I could make ya a deal on...smiley

(ignore the old gray haired fat man sitting on it!)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/29/20 7:56 a.m.

Drz400. I loved all the ones I have owned.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z78TYo6DJunk8XSLfFLyVr2Mf5y3514q0oSj5I0GutsjlTU845x4N39DQMeRDEkU