1 2
StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
1/12/22 3:20 a.m.

So assembled the last pieces last night, but with the other headset bearing installed it has a slight knock backwards and forwards when the front brake is applied, so will be finishing it up and the take it to the LBS where my BIL services his bikes for them to have a look

Don't mind the white frame. That is a 90's Nishiki 2er that  I will be repairing for my daughter 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/7/22 9:09 a.m.

So during the weekend, while struggling to get the Nishiki's seatpost loose, I decided to throw a wheel on my old bastardized 26er mix and match bicycle for the little one to ride. 

And she really enjoyed it 

Especially with al the rain we were having 

And she learned what will happen when you misjudge your turn in the mud 

While she was riding that bicycle, I spend some time on the Kona, and realized that I still need some parts

Kona Headset Knock

My BIL send me a photo what is still needed

Also my bottom bracket is to narrow, and my cranks are hitting my chainstays, so order a wider bottom bracket and Race Face cranks

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/10/22 12:29 p.m.

Got my Race Face Xtype Dues XC 104bcd cranks and a Shimano SM-BB70 bottom bracket today. 

Can't wait to install, but first need to do some cleaning and get the non drive side crank loose from the BB

Although the the cartridge says "Do not dissamble", there's a lot of videos around that shows how to remove the grease seal and regrease the bearings, so that will also happen. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
2/13/22 5:34 a.m.

So I just did a how to on the bottom bracket HeRe, were I did a rebuild on it.  After totaling my purchase price, postage and new bearings, I have almost a third into it of the price of the lower spectrum of a combined bottom bracket and cranks, and almost four times less than the highe spectrum. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/18/22 12:54 p.m.

So did the bottom bracket install a couple of weekends after the rebuild, but I need a spacer for the headset, and with al that being close to start of the cold season, I decided to take it to a LBS during the winter to have them do that, and an inspection on the front fork. 

Then this will be ready for when the warmer weather starts coming around

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
5/18/22 12:56 p.m.

Also, finally after thinking the local Postal service had lost my Wish order, my 32 T Narrow/Wide crankgear arrived today. 

I will install this just before it goes to the LBS, so they can set up everything to it's spec

Trix
Trix New Reader
6/27/22 7:12 p.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

Make sure to align the pin on the chainring with the crankarm (pin should be in the space between the chainring and the crankarm).  It is there to keep the chain from getting stuck (captured) between the ring and the arm if the chain comes off.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Trix :

I'm not sure I've ever seen a narrow-wide chain ring with that pin. Those are more common on double and triple front outer chain rings where that ring is typically mounted closer to the crank arm than a narrow-wide ring usually is.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
7/1/22 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I am in the garage this weekend to rebuild/service the FOX's starter, and the chainring is lying on the workbench, so I have to move it out of the way, so I will check for the pin, but I also recall no pin, as the narrow-wide was designed with the intention not to drop the chain of, as I have understood all the explanations out there

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
7/5/22 12:21 a.m.
StripesSA1 said:

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I am in the garage this weekend to rebuild/service the FOX's starter, and the chainring is lying on the workbench, so I have to move it out of the way, so I will check for the pin, but I also recall no pin, as the narrow-wide was designed with the intention not to drop the chain of, as I have understood all the explanations out there

Had a look this weekend and the narrow-wide definitely doesn't have that pin. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
3/23/23 5:06 a.m.

Stil have this bicycle, just a long time not working on it. With the sale of the FOX almost ready to proceed, I need to concentrate on some old projects and give them new love.

So this will move to the front.

The Kona came with a slim line Scot downhill saddle, but my old ass doesn't like it. In the box of spares was a Spank DJ/FR Saddle like the one below

The fake tweed was faded to almost white, and the black cloth sides was also dulled to and almost red sheen

So I wipped out some leather dye we use here in the factory, and died the seat black

Came out looking good

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HtpY2o76dWtSImKuryF3N7wh3RadBGVJqnDmZmIFkj7LglhOIerb2g0O76HaqsqY