1 2
mattm
mattm Reader
12/6/13 10:48 p.m.

I have a 1987? GT Pro Performer from my misspent youth. It is all white and all original with the exception of the brake levers if I remember correctly. It is a 4130 frame I am pretty sure. Are these things worth anything at all? I was trying to figure out what to do with this bike and checked eBay and saw some crazy asking prices.

Does anybody know if a market for these things exists?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/6/13 11:14 p.m.

Try The CABE.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/7/13 12:27 a.m.

With vintage BMX, it's worth whatever somebody's willing to pay.

If it's a Pro Performer, it's full cromo.

You seem unsure of the year. . . here's how to decode the s/n: GT serial numbers explained

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
12/7/13 7:57 a.m.

Values peaked several years ago, but there are some that still command a premium. Like everything else - condition, condition, condition. I don't remember offhand what the component group was on an '87 Pro Performer, but if it's all original other than the levers, and was barely ridden with minimal wear, it's probably worth a few hundred.

In general, the popular high-end factory bikes which are total garage-queens bring good money, while cheaper versions of the same bike are worth much less. The bikes that were most expensive new are generally still the most expensive ones. Also, custom builds using all high-end components bring some $$ too. That said, I know a guy with a pristine Zeronine that he built up when prices were at their peak, and he can't get $500 for it now. He has well over a grand into it. It's just too obscure for most people to remember.

Can you post some pictures? I'd be curious to see it.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
12/7/13 8:33 a.m.

Look here - http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/search.php?search_id=1602206668

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/7/13 8:34 a.m.

Yeah, and the WEIRD thing is, NOS builds seem to command more than minty survivors.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/9/13 7:30 p.m.

3 piece cranks?

I would give my left nut for a late 80s Dyno Slammer Team. Make mine chrome, please.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
12/9/13 8:27 p.m.

I hadna few Hutch bikes and a redline that I wish I still had. They were going for over $800 a few years ago.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/9/13 8:34 p.m.

I still want my mid-school (though it would be 20 years old next year) Dyno Comp. 4 piece knee savers, purple rain paint, 2" pegs on all 4 corners, SST when SST was newer... layback post......

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/10/13 1:37 a.m.

My screen name. Used to have a CW Phaze1. Race a little, but mostly bombed fire trails in my home town with my best friend at the time who had a Redline 600a. We were probably two of the only BMXers in my town at the time.

He was two years older and joined the Navy after graduation. I got more into flatland freestyle and went for what I thought was going to be the latest fad - scooters. . .

Made an even trade at the local bike shop (if 20 miles away is local). . . CW Phaze1 for a GT Zoot Scoot. . . soon after I got a Mongoose FS-1.

I cringe everytime the rare occasion a Phaze1 hits ebay and the prices they command.

Weird, sometimes what pulls the demand for vintage BMX. Usually it's what was in demand and hard to get back then. Part of (and only a small part) why Hutch collapsed was inability to keep up with demand. SE almost caved in on itself while still a young business for the same reason. Expensive and in demand back then - same today.

Now, on the other end of the spectrum you have anomalies like Hutch Aerospeed cranks. They are very rare for a very good reason. . . failure rate. They always broke so nobody bought them. End result, they are hen's teeth. But, if you're doing a Hutch build - gotta have 'em. BIG BUCKS!! There are repops but even they are WAY overvalued and turn the purists face red.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/18/13 9:09 p.m.

I remember the CW Phaze 1. Did you ever see the Kappa recreations from a couple of years ago?

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=476956&p=1

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 4:52 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Wanted one, but he was only making loop tails at the time. Phaze 1 was not a loop.

Instead, went with a K-24 black looptail cruiser with Supercross Bottema replica forks, rolling on 24" Tuffs. Will see if I have a pic I can post.

Retro Newschool like Kappa (now defunct) still has a market. SE and "The Wildman" were pushing it for a while, but seem to be backing off. CW started back up and was making a "Hollywood Miranda" signature frame but stopped. Now they're bringing out a "Mike Buff" replica in '14. Eddie Fiola, now a Hollywood stuntman, started up his own company and markets a Performer replica called the EF PROFormer. Skyway, celebrating their 50th anniversary, has again been manufacturing 20" and 24" frames in white and chrome and never stopped making Tuffs. For a while it was for industrial applications and only in black, but a guy named Ed convinced them to start doing colors again back around '04 which started his business coloredtuffs.com. Now Skyway even makes graphites again with gold anodized sealed hubs, but they're not Campy's.

You can now find Ed's retro BMX bikeshop, Planet BMX, about an hour north of GRM offices in Jacksonville. Ed runs the place when he's not cruising in his DeLorean.

Maybe you shouldn't go there, Dave. You may not be able to resist the temptation of leaving the shop without a full roller Skyway.

David S. Wallens
12/19/13 10:00 a.m.

Yeah, I have been trying to get up to Planet BMX. I was in Jax this past weekend but ran out of time. If things go right, I'll be back up there this coming weekend.

I bought my Floval Flyer from Ed as well as some graphite Tuffs for my Kappa project. Let's just say that Ed was a price to deal with and totally has my business.

And did you see this? http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/complete-bikes/24-bmx/2014-se-racing-floval-flyer-retro-looptail-bike/prod_1665.html

Oh that is so tempting.

David S. Wallens
12/19/13 10:07 a.m.

Although looks like they're closed on weekends. Well, one day I need to get up there. I want to see the place as well as Ed's DeLorean.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/19/13 10:09 a.m.

I need to quit reading this thread. eBay is expensive.

Lof8
Lof8 Reader
12/19/13 10:15 a.m.

I bought an SE "SoCal Flyer" cruiser last year and have been riding it around Siesta beach a lot. I went up to Brooklyn to visit a friend 2 weeks ago and he took me to a community "pump track." We had a blast and its a killer workout. I'm taking delivery of 30 cy of fill dirt Saturday morninig to build my own track in my back yard. Awesome!

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 10:27 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, I have been trying to get up to Planet BMX. I was in Jax this past weekend but ran out of time. If things go right, I'll be back up there this coming weekend. I bought my Floval Flyer from Ed as well as some graphite Tuffs for my Kappa project. Let's just say that Ed was a price to deal with and totally has my business. And did you see this? http://www.planetbmx.com/shop/complete-bikes/24-bmx/2014-se-racing-floval-flyer-retro-looptail-bike/prod_1665.html Oh that is so tempting.

Why are you pushing for my divorce? My wife told me if I brought home one more bike she will leave. . . that was five bikes ago. The retro '14 20" Quad hurts me more. . .

When he was still in the North East, Ed helped me out with my Maurice "Drob" Meyer tribute build which centered on the discovery of unpainted NOS Streetbeat frames found in the back of the Skyway warehouse around '06. Maurice was a team rider a recipient of one of the first two Streetbeats.

After contacting Drob on the parts breakdown for this bike, before I know it a box of original parts from the actual bike show up.

Here's as far as I took it.

Drob travels all the way to the east coast to check it out.

and inevitably, it winds up in his possesion and he completes it.

The full story

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 10:37 a.m.

P.S.

My DD when I'm home:

My DD when I was forward deployed to Bagdad:

Have I jacked a thread???

David S. Wallens
12/19/13 10:51 a.m.

Right now there's a 1979 Team Mongoose sitting in my living room.

David S. Wallens
12/19/13 10:52 a.m.

And I love the blue Ripper. It works just right with the black Landing Gear forks.

David S. Wallens
12/19/13 10:52 a.m.

You know, the $2014 Challenge won't be too far from Planet BMX. Maybe they'll come visit….

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 11:14 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Right now there's a 1979 Team Mongoose sitting in my living room.

Nickle plate, candy apple blue or candy apple red?

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 11:18 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And I love the blue Ripper. It works just right with the black Landing Gear forks.

Thanks, it's an '05 Team with repop decals. Originally bought to race the VintageBMX Rockford gathering for the "old school" race.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
12/19/13 11:19 a.m.

I know where a Mike Buff CW is, missing cranks iirc, but it's for sale.

I've purpously avoided checking it out.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
12/19/13 11:19 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: You know, the $2014 Challenge won't be too far from Planet BMX. Maybe they'll come visit….

Maybe. . . I might have a team there myself for $2014.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C3B4hm0oiJHkod3trIEu2LIKBhBLICnDOa62zu4zJ0NjOytyNPcLJ0OFjEXGfdPI