1 2 3
lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/19/13 8:00 p.m.

its cyclenet parts out in hasting but they also have an ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/Cyclenet-Parts

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
3/20/13 10:59 p.m.

Thanks! Know they're open on weekends?

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/20/13 11:47 p.m.

i believe so

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
4/5/13 2:48 a.m.

ok so i should get my carbs in the mail today got a set for parts off ebay so i dont have to fab a choke flap. i also ordered a new agm battery yesterday that should be here in a day or 2. i found a brake master cylinder off a ninja im need to pick up along with a shorter brake line. then an oil change and i should be set to get her fired. and will be able to ride her after i figure out how i want to mount the front turn signals.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
4/9/13 10:15 p.m.

Gene, they have a VW Caddy that's in the middle of a TDI swap. It was odd seeing so many TDIs in the middle of Hastings at a motorcycle junk yard.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
6/11/13 11:02 p.m.

ok so a little bit of an update got dyna coils mounted new spark wires waiting on the oil seal for around the shift rod bought a 18 tooth front sprocket and 38 tooth rear stock is 16/38 new o-ring chain need to pick up some oil and gas and i might make a pvc air intake so i dont have to f with the pita airbox before seat cut [URL=http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/joeg730/media/kz%20550/CAM00500-1.jpg.html][/URL]

after seat cut [URL=http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/joeg730/media/kz%20550/CAM00505.jpg.html][/URL]

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
9/14/13 1:43 a.m.

wow its really been some time since i updated this so here goes what ive done so far. new chain and sprocket installed check replaced brake cover plate screws and fill with brake fluid check paint headlight bucket check (i used plasti dip barley and prep work needed) installed new carb boots and carbs check (only took me 20 mins after i ordered the new ones old ones wore rock hard and wouldnt go) sidecover gasket replaced check need to finish up the wiring and getting every buttoned up and hopefully after these long few months i will have a bike that runs. here are some pictures

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
9/15/13 9:16 p.m.

Holy crap you're way more patient than me! My first bike was a kz440. I bought it because it was the first running bike I found for under a grand, and wanted to get as much riding as I could in immediately following my MSF class/license. I couldn't have cared less what the bike looked like, I was just happy to be on two wheels.

Good luck, can't wait to see this one on the road.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
9/17/13 4:57 a.m.

it ran when i bought it but not soon after my coils went on me it also need tires chain sprokets and all that stuff to be safe. but being a broke mofo that i am its taking me awhile to get every thing done because i want to do it right. i should hear it roar soon and its fl so its not like its the end of the riding season.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/13/14 11:44 p.m.

ok so heres a quick little update on the bike i was able to get it up and running i got to ride it for about 15 miles. got home a day later i go out to ride it around the block not checking the air in the front tire. ended up riding it flat to the point the bead broke and that was a pain to get to re bead. now im dealing with a starter clutch issue. every time i get something done on this bike some thing else happens. at least i got to ride it for a good 15 miles.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
3/14/14 6:56 a.m.

STOP! If your dealing with starter clutch problems do not keep trying it. Check the battery and all the connections. KZ's have a Very Weak starter clutch and there a PAIN to repair and normally don't last once repaired unless to replace the whole unit, and the parts are more then the bike is worth BTDT 20 years ago.. The clutch uses 3 rollers and if the battery is low they don't lock up but skid and wear the roller and drum and the eccentric.

Get the battery load tested or buy the digital HF unit (surprise it works well!)

also check this article out. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0611_kawasaki_kz550_ltd/viewall.html

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/14/14 3:21 p.m.

44Dwarf, Kudos for helping the kid out

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/14/14 3:34 p.m.

That link was a great read

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/16/14 2:37 p.m.

this is what it sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HxK2vz15lo

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
3/16/14 7:44 p.m.

Sadly that's Classic worn rollers in the starter clutch... and being an 81 you have no kicker you can not add the earlier kicker with out a real pain as the cases are not bored at the factory for the shaft. Kawi did away with the kicker when they added the CDI ignition due to if the battery is dead they will not spark period.

It might be worth it to try a new battery and clean all the connections.

For what its worth after replacing my rollers the 1st time and having them fail again I bump started the bike for three years then replaced the whole unit and it failed the next year. Theses bike will bump start easy if the carb tuning is good. you only need about 10 foot run.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
3/16/14 11:29 p.m.

when u were bump starting it what speed/ gear combo was go for u

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/17/14 7:25 a.m.

Never owned this type of bike, But I default to 3rd gear for bump start

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
3/17/14 4:18 p.m.

Normally 2nd gear cause my clutch dragged a bit so push in Neutral and pop in to 2nd. It became second nature after a while. You learn to find the parking spaces with slight inclines and how to pull in to then making a loop so you can get out.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/17/14 10:32 p.m.

Holy smokin thighs Batman.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
4/21/14 3:39 p.m.

so i rebuild the starter not the starter clutch and put in new spark plugs now my issue is the fuel delivery i have a new petcock in the mail so i hope that fixes it. but i was able to get out and about town a few times these past few days

i have a video of it running will post later when i get it on my computer

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/22/14 12:21 a.m.

Man, you have perseverance. Lesser people would have given it up. So many of these bikes were junked because no one wanted to tinker with them.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
4/23/14 1:26 a.m.

it only took me 14 months(bought the bike feb 2013) to get 30 miles on it under my belt. lets list everything i can remember what i did to it.

new tires, dyna coils, new spark leads, new spark plugs, starter rebuild kit, battery, chain & sprockets, oil change with new filter, cut the seat down in the back a little, new bars, carbs clean/ rebuild kits,new airbox boots, por15 the tank, brakes front and rear, little bit of wire work to clean up the rats nest, new petcock in the mail.

i still need to tweek a few things here and there i also want to make my own custom fairing and tail for her. i also need to finish plastidiping the chrome parts. (plastidip peels right off and wont hurt the chrome i just dont like chrome so it needs to go.

if you want to watch a video of it running go here warning bad cell phone video better one coming soon

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
4/23/14 1:29 p.m.

Plain KZ 650's had a nice tail section and seat should be bolt on.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
4/23/14 2:36 p.m.

i like my seat right now, what i did was cut the queen part of it down about an inch.

lightitup
lightitup New Reader
4/26/14 5:51 p.m.

here is a better video of her running enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBQJWB79jZ8

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BgNOrRlYWnqxvsn53dqWJaPNeA1nB3jvHdD5FZgVl50Rmq94Ig7Q62RM8U8osa3y