1 2
crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 11:56 a.m.

I'm cancelling all international and domestic  travel this year and I'm planning on entertaining myself with more motorcycle trips and camping away from civilization here in Alaska. Looking for a good small footprint light duty dual sport that I can commute in as well. I do NOT care about power or top speed. I'm a minimalist. I've pulled up to spots on my gsxr that guys with their $30k BMW glamping setup were  confused about because Overland magazine told them they needed to buy all that stuff to look the part. 

Looking for A bike that is street legal, lightweight, preferably fuel injected but I'll settle for carb if used and a good deal, good economy, and has a lowish seat height. I currently have a GSXR 750,, turbo Yamaha Seca, and a 73 Bonneville. All do very different things but none handle the gravel/ dirt all around AK terrain I face most of the time.

I've been unsuccessful finding a bike comparison site for multiple manufacturers but so far I'm thinking the Kawasaki KLX230 checks my boxes.

Some are close but don't check all the boxes. (Dr200, TW200, etc)

Are  there any I'm forgetting or should consider? 5k max new but used 2500-3000 is a possibility. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/28/20 12:55 p.m.

Kawasaki Versys X300

Royal Enfield Himalayan

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 1:08 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

Kawasaki Versys X300

I looked at them but it's 100 lbs heavier than the KLX 230. I want as lightweight as possible. Royal Enfield Himalayan has the same issue as well at 400+ lbs.

Ideally 300 lbs or less. No water cooling helps.

zilla916
zilla916 New Reader
3/28/20 2:03 p.m.

CRF250L or the CRF250l Rally. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/28/20 2:16 p.m.

DR400 maybe?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/28/20 2:19 p.m.

Yamaha WR250?

I checked the weight on the BMW G310GS and that one is also pretty close to 400lbs. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/28/20 2:21 p.m.
crankwalk said:
FSP_ZX2 said:

Kawasaki Versys X300

I looked at them but it's 100 lbs heavier than the KLX 230. I want as lightweight as possible. Royal Enfield Himalayan has the same issue as well at 400+ lbs.

Noted.  I was thinking "ADV bike" based on the thread title--not "Dual Sport" which sounds like what you really want...

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 2:54 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:
crankwalk said:
FSP_ZX2 said:

Kawasaki Versys X300

Noted.  I was thinking "ADV bike" based on the thread title--not "Dual Sport" which sounds like what you really want...

I guess dual sport is what I meant and what most people call that category. In my head, ADV just means adventure which just means dual sport as well.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 2:56 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Yamaha WR250?

I checked the weight on the BMW G310GS and that one is also pretty close to 400lbs. 

The Yamaha is very close to everything im looking for on the KLX 230 except price. EFI, weight, suspension, narrow track but its $2k higher on MSRP from what I'm seeing. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/28/20 4:05 p.m.

I had a DRZ400 that I really liked, but I was always a little nervous about kicking up a rock and letting all the water out. I think in Alaska, I'd really want something air cooled.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/28/20 4:29 p.m.
crankwalk said:
FSP_ZX2 said:

Kawasaki Versys X300

Out of curiosity, why'd you strike the TW? Otherwise, if you're looking used, maybe a KL250 Super Sherpa? The current Yamaha XT250 is fuel injected and air cooled and sub 300lbs. I'm sure plenty of year old NOS for under $5000 now.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 4:33 p.m.
fatallightning said:
crankwalk said:
FSP_ZX2 said:

Kawasaki Versys X300

Out of curiosity, why'd you strike the TW? Otherwise, if you're looking used, maybe a KL250 Super Sherpa? The current Yamaha XT250 is fuel injected and air cooled and sub 300lbs. I'm sure plenty of year old NOS for under $5000 now.

I haven't striked the tw200 completely if I can find a cheaper good used one. Since they are carbureted they aren't checking all my wants. I currently don't have any EFI bikes and I'd like a good turn key commuter/camp/trail bike I won't have to mess with for a long time.

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/28/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

They do seem to hold value pretty well. I'd move the XT250 to the top of the list. Most companies seem to just be dropping the older air cooled stuff instead of bothering to update them with EFI. The current Suzuki Vanvan 200 is EFI now I believe, and it's basically a TW. Even takes the same size (unique) tire. 

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/28/20 5:05 p.m.
fatallightning said:

In reply to crankwalk :

They do seem to hold value pretty well. I'd move the XT250 to the top of the list. Most companies seem to just be dropping the older air cooled stuff instead of bothering to update them with EFI. The current Suzuki Vanvan 200 is EFI now I believe, and it's basically a TW. Even takes the same size (unique) tire. 

Thanks for reminding me about the xt250

Kawasaki KLX230 : 

MSRP: $4,599

Seat height: 34.8″

Curb weight: 293.2 lbs

Fuel tank capacity: 2.008 gal

Ground clearance: 10.4″

Yamaha XT250

MSRP: $5,199

Seat height: 31.9″

Curb weight: 291 lbs

Fuel tank capacity: 2.589 gal

Ground clearance: 11.2″

It looks like the XT is $500-$600 more expensive but it's lighter, lower seat height, more ground clearance, and a bigger tank.

It's probably going to be easier to find a year or two old model at a dealer with the Yamaha and get it comparable to the Kawasaki since they are new for this season. 

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
3/28/20 5:22 p.m.

WR250R is kind of the gold standard in the market you're shopping.  They're fuel injected, have stupid long service intervals, and offer good economy.  They're nearly unchanged since 2008, except for some first year fuel pump issues.  I've got a 2009 that I've put many trouble free miles on, but I don't ride it much anymore.  You might be able to scrounge one up for 3k, but expect to spend more like $3500-4000 on the low end.

We also have a fuel injected XT250 that is my wife's bike.  It's fun to tool around on, but it's definitely lower rent than the WR.  Definitely lacking in the suspension department and handles more like a pit bike than an adventure ready bike.  Wide ratio 5 speed gearbox will have you either screaming on the interstate or always cursing the too-tall first gear on the trail in my experience, although the WR isn't that much better in that regard.  A lot of the round-the-world WRR riders will swap countershaft sprockets from 13 to 14 depending on what kind of riding a particular part of their trip calls for to get around the transmission gearing shortcomings.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
3/29/20 10:32 a.m.

You seem to be looking at new, and in that case I think you're on the right track with the KLX 230.  The air cooled simplicity combined with fuel injection and 6 speed should make a nice combination. 

I presently have an 07 klx250 and an Xt225, and i think the klx 230 will split the difference quite nicely.  It should be a great little exploration rig that can handle some trails and commuting as well. 

Just make sure to route plan to use the back roads as much as possible.  Small dual sports are absolutely fantastic up to 90 kms/hr, then get a lot less fun really quickly. Especially when you're trying to pull a hill with a full size pickup riding your butt.  

However, on that note, I used to have the KLX and a nicely set up KLR 650, and decided to keep the KLX over the KLR, mostly because on the KLX every ride is a bit of an adventure. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
3/30/20 8:07 p.m.

I live in Ohio, where gas tank size is something we almost never think about, but I'd think in Alaska I'd want the biggest tank I can get -- unless you don't mind carrying gas. I know the class of bikes being discussed get 70+ mpg but still.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
3/30/20 10:00 p.m.
GCrites80s said:

I live in Ohio, where gas tank size is something we almost never think about, but I'd think in Alaska I'd want the biggest tank I can get -- unless you don't mind carrying gas. I know the class of bikes being discussed get 70+ mpg but still.

This isn't going to be a long distance off-road  tourer. No matter what I get it's just commuting and 15-20 miles in trails. I'd never ride something in further than I could hike out.  The lighter the better for throwing it in the bed of the truck for trips on trails way out of town and if I'm taking the truck, I'm bringing more fuel

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/1/20 8:52 a.m.

Those are all great glamping options for overlanders. You want minimalist, there is only one option:

Room to strap down the basics, you can carry it across crevasses, its the perfect Alaska bike.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
4/1/20 9:09 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Those are all great glamping options for overlanders. You want minimalist, there is only one option:

Room to strap down the basics, you can carry it across crevasses, its the perfect Alaska bike.

Too minimalist.  laugh I want EFI and 60 mph at least. I think climbing the mountain to get to my house, I'd have to go down to first gear. 

Although there an 82 Trail 110 with 800 miles near me but the lady wants $3200! While I agree some bikes appreciate in value, I really don't know why somebody would pay that for a Trail anything. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/1/20 9:43 a.m.

Get the 2021 model:

I'm sure it will do 60, ish.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/1/20 9:44 a.m.

Uhhhh

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
4/1/20 10:05 a.m.

A Ninja 650 dual sport project might be great although it satisfies almost none of the requirements which I think is fine because I don't like them.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
4/1/20 1:36 p.m.

KLX250 is the midrange bike between the stuff you're looking at ad the WR250. It will be a lot more capable and nicer to ride than a 230

They are not air cooled, but they're as reliable as a hammer, and FI.  There's no shortage of KLX's with really high mileage on them in Asia where they're used as daily drivers. You can generally get really good deals on them. I've owned two

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
4/1/20 2:56 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Get the 2021 model:

I'm sure it will do 60, ish.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-honda-ct125-hunter-cub-is-the-scrambler-scoote-1842495900

The new ones look cool Looks like around $4k and I'm assuming EFi but I don't think it would have the gearing to get me out of town on the highway. For the cost I just think a little more money would go a long way. 

To me it's looking like the bare minimum to do that would be a tw200 and up size/motor,/gearing equivalent. 

Peabody here said:

KLX250 is the midrange bike between the stuff you're looking at ad the WR250. It will be a lot more capable and nicer to ride than a 230

You can generally get really good deals on them. I've owned two

My used market is likely way different than yours. I don't have a ton of options. 

Just curious what exactly is so good about water cooling? It's added weight and cost and I'm just not seeing what would make the 250 that much better than the 230.

Thanks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQS9Iyt5M6y1HWUdzOHNdYkNCZ0HoUMXByvj1SeY1u2PNoofUKm93IbirIqe2hGV