revhard
revhard New Reader
1/23/11 6:57 p.m.

Ok im looking at sv650's right now. Why in the middle of winter i dont know.

So far ive found 2

a 2004 sv650 with 40k miles. Its on the original clutch, but the brakes and chain have been replaced. it will need new tires in 3k miles. It looks minty aside from having a street fighter fairing im not fond of. the asking price is $1700 which seems like a steal to me.

the other is a 2005 sv650 with 6k miles. The tank is dented in a few spots and has surface rust on the tank. it was dropped in a gravel driveway. The asking price is $2500 which is ehh to me because of the tank.

should the miles scare me on the 2004 bike? Is body damage on the 2005 too much to deal with?

Are either of these bikes worth buying?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/23/11 7:16 p.m.
alex
alex SuperDork
1/23/11 8:06 p.m.

That high mileage wouldn't scare me off if the maintenance has been kept up. And the price is very right. The clutch job is a pretty easy DIY.

And winter's a great time to buy - lower prices.

former520
former520 New Reader
1/23/11 9:23 p.m.

That really is nothing (coming from someone trying to trade one in another thread). Brakes were probably done because your used to having to change them. I changed min just under 30 and their wasn't much wear, I wouldn't worry about the clutch either. There are a bunch over 100k on svrider.com a pretty good resource as well. Chains and tires you will get familiar with changing, just part of having bikes.

revhard
revhard New Reader
1/24/11 6:57 a.m.

so i feel like more people are leaning to the 2004 with more miles but in better shape. Thats how i feel. The 2004 looks better and the PO seemed to have used it as a commuter. the miles worried me tho.

the 2005 is closer to me but the banged up tank worries me and the price does not seem killer.

I just saw the sv on the $2010 classifieds and were it on the east coast, id be talking to the owner.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
1/24/11 1:06 p.m.

The miles wouldn't worry me. Mine had 27-28k on it when I sold it and still ran great.

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
1/24/11 4:08 p.m.

I bought my 2005 SV650 with about 32,000 miles on it for $1800, and I haven't had a problem with it in the 3,000 miles since. I have changed the oil and the front tire, which was completely shot, and that's about it. It has been dropped twice, once by me. I had to replace the bars ($20 for a generic bar that needed to be trimmed) and mirrors ($20 for cheap bar-ends), and that's about it. The clutch and brake levers both have the tips broken off, so those are next on the list.

alex
alex SuperDork
1/24/11 7:51 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: The clutch and brake levers both have the tips broken off, so those are next on the list.

Just cut those off and grind 'em down to a nice edge. One less thing to worry about next time it falls over. And the next time you bend the bars, buy a ProTaper or similar MX bar, and that'll be the last time you bend those, too.

Add frame sliders and folding pedals for your gearshift and brake levers, and the damn thing's almost spill-proof.

Bikes are a lot of weight balanced up high. Might as well build them to handle the fall, because gravity's going to have it's way with them eventually.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dTlLX87D0vuDJLhYuRB6uwkI6vzK1kGErKWnRU9QNkkHehsI6ShjYxn3MljEJkBq