1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/13/12 10:22 a.m.

In the interest of tourism mostly. I'll keep my gear just the same. atgatt

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/04/rick_snyder_signs_law_repealin.html#incart_river_default

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
4/13/12 10:26 a.m.

Finally, hopefully, Darwin will prevail!!!

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
4/13/12 10:35 a.m.

Helmetless riders should have to carry about a zillion dollars worth of disability/vegetable insurance, but I don't want Darwin to prevail.

Sometimes it would be nice to drive to a neighbor's house at bicycle speeds without a helmet.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/13/12 10:39 a.m.

Dumb ass move. I'll bet 90% of the idiots i see will be on Harley's and the other 10% on scooters

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/13/12 10:41 a.m.

I agree with the decision and would for all seat belt, air bag, and other personal safety legislation. I believe every man has a right to be a bloodstain on an otherwise boring stretch of asphalt. With upwards of 6 billion people on the orb - we gotta stop protecting people too stupid to live.

I am ATGATT by choice regardless.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
4/13/12 10:43 a.m.

In other news...

People waiting on the organ transplant list are throwing parties

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
4/13/12 11:00 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I agree with the decision and would for all seat belt, air bag, and other personal safety legislation. I believe every man has a right to be a bloodstain on an otherwise boring stretch of asphalt. With upwards of 6 billion people on the orb - we gotta stop protecting people too stupid to live. I am ATGATT by choice regardless.

+2 wife and myself

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/13/12 11:06 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Dumb ass move. I'll bet 90% of the idiots i see will be on Harley's and the other 10% on scooters

I'm wondering how long it's going to be till I see my 1st idiot. Bill was signed into at approx 9:45 and I'm working at an office with a view of a busy road

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
4/13/12 12:05 p.m.

I personally can't stand it when i see guys without helmets, I mean really is it so freaking hard to protect your most vital organ. I bitch about this all the time it just pisses me off. For example a few weeks ago i was in myrtle beach SC and watched a guy on a new gixxer crossing a intersection get t-boned by a inattentive driver at about 10-15mph bike went down and i saw his head split wide open on the asphalt. He was killed instantly all because he wasn't wearing a helmet...like i said it just pisses me off

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
4/13/12 1:15 p.m.

yup sad for sure. I caught my Nieces in-law riding with a brain bucket. Gave her an ear full in front of her Mom who was happy i said something. Even told her who to talk to at her dealer for proper fitting and ask for my discount..

I have a saying "Dress for disaster" I'm loving my new tour-master pants. Hopefully i can take out the insulated liner soon...

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
4/13/12 1:23 p.m.

I think I have seen...maybe 10% of the motorcyclists in Ohio wearing headgear.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/13/12 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

True! I am shocked again every spring to see so many 40-60 yr. old men AND WOMEN cruising around without a helmet!

I mean, 20 yr. old dudes don't wear helmets because they're trying to get laid, but why is a 47 yr. old lunch-lady type eschewing a helmet?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/13/12 1:50 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to Maroon92: True! I am shocked again every spring to see so many 40-60 yr. old men AND WOMEN cruising around without a helmet! I mean, 20 yr. old dudes don't wear helmets because they're trying to get laid, but why is a 47 yr. old lunch-lady type eschewing a helmet?

Look on the bright side, those 47 year olds will have paid in to SS for longer but hopefully wont get to collect on it so helping the rest of us.

How about amending the bike test so that to if you wish to ride without a helmet you have to have a practice crash by being T boned at 35 miles an hour so they know what they are getting into. As it's so safe no form of health insurance should be needed so they should have to pay any minor medical costs out of pocket. Life insurance should also be invalid.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
4/13/12 2:17 p.m.

Hypothetical question. If you get in a crash and you weren't wearing a helmet does could it stop your insurance from paying your medical (or more likely) or life insurance?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/13/12 2:18 p.m.

From what I understand (probably wrong), you pay an extra insurance fee to ride without. If you ride without & don't pay that fee, you are not covered. Pillions included

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
4/13/12 2:32 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to Maroon92: True! I am shocked again every spring to see so many 40-60 yr. old men AND WOMEN cruising around without a helmet! I mean, 20 yr. old dudes don't wear helmets because they're trying to get laid, but why is a 47 yr. old lunch-lady type eschewing a helmet?

Come on now, don't stereotype, I've been wearing a full face helmet since i bought my first bike at 19 lol

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/13/12 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Caleb:

I wasn't stereotyping so much as pointing out a motive for not wearing a helmet that applies broadly across that demographic group.

Of course, these guys that ride their Hayabusas in flip-flops, wife beaters, and backwards baseball caps don't get questions from girls who see you carrying the helmet around!

Edit: And I got a full face helmet when I got my first bike to, probably around 20 or 21...

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
4/13/12 2:48 p.m.

I'm only poking fun at you because you make a valid point, when i ride in my jacket,fullface,gloves and boots i get the oddest looks from the guys in there wife beaters and flip flops

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
4/13/12 5:10 p.m.

<------ My helmet and jacket that is on 75% of the time I'm on the bike.

the other 25% I have my winter riding kevlar coat on.

Helmet is always on.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/13/12 8:27 p.m.

I wear a skidlid all the time. Yeah I get strange looks from the Hoggers and aforementioned backwards cap crotch rocketeers. That's fine; I will outlast them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UberDork
4/13/12 8:40 p.m.
Caleb wrote: I'm only poking fun at you because you make a valid point, when i ride in my jacket,fullface,gloves and boots i get the oddest looks from the guys in there wife beaters and flip flops

That pretty much describes most of the Harley guys around here, but a lot of them don't ride much further than the nearest bar. I get funny looks in summer for wearing full gear all the time.

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/13/12 9:47 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Finally, hopefully, Darwin will prevail!!!

QFT

I wish Tennessee would repeal theirs. Too many jerks around here trying to re-enact "biker boyz". We need to thin the herd.

drmike
drmike Reader
4/14/12 9:19 a.m.
Caleb wrote: I personally can't stand it when i see guys without helmets, I mean really is it so freaking hard to protect your most vital organ. I bitch about this all the time it just pisses me off. For example a few weeks ago i was in myrtle beach SC and watched a guy on a new gixxer crossing a intersection get t-boned by a inattentive driver at about 10-15mph bike went down and i saw his head split wide open on the asphalt. He was killed instantly all because he wasn't wearing a helmet...like i said it just pisses me off

Gross, you witnessed that? I am totally ATGATT, but after seeing a guy crack his egg like that, I'd be trying to wear TWO helmets. Dang.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/14/12 11:37 a.m.
drmike wrote: Gross, you witnessed that? I am totally ATGATT, but after seeing a guy crack his egg like that, I'd be trying to wear TWO helmets. Dang.

Excuse my Internet abbreviation disorder, but what is ATGATT??

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/14/12 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

All the gear all the time

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h50isOYkhl8IzlZkh0hELU1KCh58k8ugHISr3IG2aNzKvI1s0MCf3gR1xZFYzb72