AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/22/22 4:27 p.m.

Cars were surely my first love but bikes were my first hands on experience with it. Many of my core memories from childhood involve a bicycle. My friends and I were constantly on our bikes. Exploring, making jumps, skid contests... I'm sure many here had the same experience. By the end of middle school I had moved from mountain bikes to road bikes and we would go on long rides racing cars, acting like idiots. I worked at a bike shop in college and rode literally every single day on either my Miyata Three Ten or my Grandfathers Panasonic that I built into a fixie. My aunt asked me this week to clear some stuff out of her garage including some old bikes. Because I can't let a nice lugged steel road bike go to the dump (the other two were dump worthy), I adopted this One Hundred.

It was my uncles bike. I don't remember ever seeing him on it and it shows. The tires look pretty fresh, I actually may have put them on there but other than that it seems totally original.

I'm not sure yet what I plan to do with it. Maybe just clean it, tune it up and enjoy it? Get rid of the drop bars, throw some fenders on it and make it more of a cruiser/commuter?

First things first. I'm going to get some air into the tires, ride it around and then put it in the basement to prep for its winter overhaul, whatever that turns out to be.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/22/22 5:09 p.m.

Watching with interest, because believe it or not, I've got one too!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/23/22 10:21 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Nice! The test ride showed that, as expected, everything is way out of adjustment but also that the cassette seems to be worn out.

I'm now thinking simple single speed commuter style with polished fenders maybe I'll go crazy and put a chain guard on it(?). One question is do I stick with the 27 x 1 1/4 wheels or move to 700c? I suppose that will mostly depend on the style I want as I think I've only ever seen just bare aluminum 27s.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/28/22 10:18 a.m.

It's coming apart. I thought maybe I could get the cranks off with my puller but can't get it to work so I've got a crank puller on the way. I love the clear cable housings on these and re-used them on the other Miyata but I'm not sure these are in good enough shape. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
10/28/22 7:56 p.m.

Why change a bicycle when it is in great shape?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/124245197329

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/31/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I don't know, fun? What a strange question from a GRMer. 

Frame totally stripped down. Time for a good cleaning. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LXHYNhqHvkYgIhItpi7HHrAamighOfofvYiqYH65iJFPm3JxF1F8OkaTEWA46cv3