1 2 3
Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/1/09 9:24 p.m.

I got one of those little motor kits for my birthday, so I now need some recommendations for a bike. I was thinking about a beach cruiser turned into a cafe racer thing, painted flat black (still have paint left over from the fixie). Does anybody have any tips or tricks for installing these little engines?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/2/09 5:50 a.m.

There is a company out there making copies of a Harley Grey Ghost using that engine, I couldn't find it. But I would take a hard look at one of these:

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/2/09 4:57 p.m.

Wow, leaf spring front end.

I would definitely go for more of a board-track look, it would be really hard to get a cafe style with the tall skinny tires.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/2/09 7:42 p.m.

is it bad that I am thinking about taking one of my 2 mopeds apart and using the motor and bike parts to make something akin to

stock the moped eeks out 35mph, wonder what I can do without really digging into the motor...

sundancevette
sundancevette New Reader
12/2/09 8:02 p.m.

Is it this place?

http://www.derringercycles.com/index.html

These are pretty bad-ass. I'd build my own if I could find those tires and drum brakes.

...especially since they want $3500 for theirs...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/2/09 8:37 p.m.

Nah, it's an ebay special.

And the idea has changed slightly. I found a 1966 Raleigh beach cruiser for $25 today, so I'm gonna go for this look: (blatantly stolen from another thread)

I picked up ultra flat army green today, as well as ultra flat army beige for trim. Should be interesting. The kit should arrive Monday, so I'm aiming for Tuesday completion.

It should make it out to the Rolex in a few montths, so you all can admire it in person!

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/2/09 9:27 p.m.

Now THAT'S a MoPed!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
12/2/09 9:29 p.m.

Sooooooo jealous.

You'll let me ride it, right?

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/2/09 9:41 p.m.

You'll let me drive the WRX, right?

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/2/09 9:43 p.m.

Oh, this has convinced two of my friends and a teacher to build them, too. An epic race is sure to come.

Tom Heath
12/2/09 9:52 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: You'll let me drive the WRX, right?

Hell, for that level of danger I'll let you drive the Miata. I'm sure we can work something out...

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/2/09 10:10 p.m.

Sounds good, just don't tell my mom I talked to you (You're supposedly a bad influence).

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/2/09 11:48 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200411330284

also check out SRAM parts.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/3/09 5:58 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: I picked up ultra flat army green today, as well as ultra flat army beige for trim. Should be interesting. The kit should arrive Monday, so I'm aiming for Tuesday completion.

You know everything is tan camo now right? Green is so last war.

I might be able to come up with some tan CARC paint. (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating.

Dan

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/3/09 7:08 p.m.

Ok, so I picked up the bike this afternoon. It isn't a beach cruiser, it is even better. A Raleigh Tourist. Complete with rod brakes.

Even though it looks bad, it is good underneath. No deep rust, the wheels are true, the brakes work, and the bottom bracket has no play whatsoever. The hubs are also great, and the internal 3 speed rear hub shifts smoothly. I bought it from a one armed man, even! And although the tires are dry-rotted and the tubes leak, I managed to go for a ride on it. All it needs is paint, tires, tubes, and pads, and it will be ready to go. I even ordered the tubes and tires already, as the 28" size isn't usually in stock.

Pics in a few moments.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
12/3/09 7:12 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: The kit should arrive Monday, so I'm aiming for Tuesday completion.

Hahahaha that's pretty epic.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/3/09 7:26 p.m.

Last one was a friend helping to get it rideable.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
12/3/09 10:27 p.m.

looks like you found an excellent candidate.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/4/09 1:49 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Sounds good, just don't tell my mom I talked to you (You're supposedly a bad influence).

Um, I think you misunderstood. I didn't say Tom was a bad influence, I said that all of the staffers (and, by extension, all of the folks on the message board) were a bad influence.

The baddest bad influence of them all, however, is your father. I can't believe he green-lighted this skull-breaker.

So, someone break this down for me: What are the odds that my firstborn and only son will crack his noggin in a severe manner with this contraption?

Margie

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/4/09 1:53 p.m.

Tommy,

Be sure to let us know when it's fully assembled and post some photos, so that we can brainstorm and help you figure out how to make it faster.

Tom Heath
12/4/09 1:54 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: So, someone break this down for me: What are the odds that my firstborn and only son will crack his noggin in a severe manner with this contraption? Margie

Pretty high. You should have him keep it at my house once it's done.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/4/09 1:58 p.m.

I can go faster on my fixie. This is merely more convienient.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
12/4/09 1:59 p.m.

Did you buy that?

zong
zong New Reader
12/4/09 2:25 p.m.

There are so many bikes!

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
12/4/09 2:29 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Um, I think you misunderstood. I didn't say Tom was a bad influence, I said that all of the staffers (and, by extension, all of the folks on the message board) were a bad influence. The baddest bad influence of them all, however, is your father. I can't believe he green-lighted this skull-breaker. So, someone break this down for me: What are the odds that my firstborn and only son will crack his noggin in a severe manner with this contraption? Margie

Margie,

He'll be fine as long as you require him to don the appropriate gear. Here is an example:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DhSepBMLtgpI0vIYfiDhHkYTKWw4EheFHMPa40Qie2RqGajn9nGgCBL34ZeltMyu