imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/22/20 5:13 p.m.

My grand kids are old enough to start riding with me. We are all getting new helmets, me and 2 kids. Presently I have a built in comm system (autocom) and it works well enough. It's biggest draw back is the wiring, the cables are hard for the kids to plug in properly by themselves and they get tangled getting on and off. All the helmets will be modular, to make installation a little trickier.

We want wireless, easy right?? Too many choices. This will be primarily used for rider to passenger communication, music for both rider and passenger, comm to another motorcycle and maybe phone calls.

I'm getting a Shoei NeoTec2 helmet and Sena makes a "built in" system for the helmet, the SRL model. It has wildly mixed reviews. Has anyone used these? I'm thinking based on the reviews and the cost I need to make sure I will like it. I would really love something I could plug my molded earplugs into, the SRL does not seem to offer this. I have not seen that any other comm system offers a headphone jack, so I may be out of luck with that option. Cardo seems to have a good reputation. Anyone heard of Fodsports?

What works?

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/22/20 6:30 p.m.

I'm sorry I can't speak not the communication question but I do have a Shoei Neotec 2 and LOVE it!

imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/22/20 9:29 p.m.

Glad to hear, I'm up grading from a 10 year old Nolan, can't wait.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
4/23/20 9:28 a.m.

I know that some SENA headsets (20s, 20s EVO, 30K) have a headphone port on the mount that clamps on to the side of your helmet. So you wire in the speakers, mic, and then if you want you can plug in headphones to use instead.

They're not cheap, but they're great.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/23/20 11:09 a.m.

Thanks for the tip, it looks like the 20S Evo comes with an adapter if I can't plug the headphones right in.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/23/20 11:15 a.m.

I have an earlier sena. It's held up great for the past 5-7 years and when not communicating with buddies it's a great way to bluetooth in navigation or riding music. At some points during my cross country ride it was the only thing that kept me sane.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/23/20 11:19 a.m.

I've used the Senna system that clamps onto the side of the helmet. We had a little trouble getting three of them to communicate at the same time, but I think that was mostly because we didn't read the instructions. They have impressive range and we could talk from the pits to the other side of the track. The guy who bought them says they grab his phone for music and calls seamlessly and he like them for that. 

Median
Median New Reader
4/23/20 11:27 a.m.

I've used the older Sena system. No issues having 4 connected at the same time. Group chat was easy, it was just tricky to connect to one person and reach the one you wanted to speak to, but that was mostly due to not remembering the number of button pushes it took for each. They worked perfectly in all kinds of weather. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
4/23/20 4:45 p.m.

Thanks for all the input. Looking at probably getting the 20s if still available or the 20s evo as either one has an earbud option and good overall reviews. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WbaWPfJqnMcGzSiqMn8vhNw6T1lSCPKZcZQkhdTA6YC3sLdcj5BO7f73asKbtE8F