wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/27/21 8:54 p.m.

Since selling the Grom I have really been going into withdrawals. I really have grown to love little bikes but I wanted one I actually fit on. Been borrowing sport bikes from friends but way to fast for the street and way to expensive. Been down that path with cars. Panigale V2 is cool but man do you hold back due to the speed and expensive repairs. I can always get one if I want but its not my cup of tea right now. 

So 4K + tax later this showed up today. 390 miles, tank grips, front screen, really really good levers and a few other farkles. Could not even touch one on Craiglist or Facebook for under 5K if even available even dropped. This came from the local Ducati dealer who knew I was looking for something small and fun and got it for a song on a scrambler trade in and passed it on to me. Kind of funny to see it next to a bunch of V4's and strada's. My Ducati did not pass inspection which is a drag but likely a good thing in the long run. 

Only really put 10 miles on it so far but its so much fun. You can wring the tar out of it just like the Grom and not get pulled over, at least for me compared to a 800lb Harley its easy to ride in the city. ABS is weird as this is the first bike I have really hammered on the brakes because I own it and if I drop it I don't care. Not going to do anything to it except ride it and maybe put a pipe on it. 

So far. I really like the riding position, I like the mirrors, the dash is  nice, the gear indicator is nice. The slipper clutch is amazing, at least I think it is the slipper clutch making me look better then I am. Rear ABS is aggressive you can actually hear it activate, front is nice. Not sure if I can disable it but not going to care about it. Grip pads are nice, CRG adjustable levers work well with my big hands. Red wheels are a little much but ehhh. Also its still under warranty. Also the headlight actually puts out light. I think my Harley has a few candles instead of bulbs.  

Things I don't like. Hard to shift in my boots but at 13/4E I have trouble with everything. The tank flairs out and hits my legs at the top which is annoying all the time but as long as I get my legs in the right position they get held in place with the grip pads. Red wheels are stupid but they are growing on me and the 660RS has red wheels.

Picture. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
10/27/21 9:33 p.m.

Congrats on the new purchase!

A friend has an MT-01.

It's big, stupid fun.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/27/21 11:16 p.m.

Aw yiss!

Its better to be naked.

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/28/21 10:46 p.m.

Awesome; I also love little bikes with real-person-sized ergonomics. Congrats on the purchase; looks like a ton of fun!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/9/21 12:05 p.m.

Ok so this is kind of sad. I love this bike but the flared tank just does not allow me to get comfortable anywhere that is flat. In the curves its wonderful to grab onto. Also my big old E36 M3 kicking feet in boots have a very hard time shifting. Also I cannot turn off the ABS. 

I have about 300 miles on it now and it is a joy up in the hills and surprisingly un-economical on gas so far. But a few very important things. Its slow, like really slow like modified Grom to 45 slow. Dangerously slow on a hill. Its decent on the freeway but it sits at 8000 pm the whole time. Passing on the freeway forget about it.Now it gets up and moves above say 8000 rpm but it takes its time getting there.  I am certain that 5/6th gear are just freeway gears and 4th is where the top end of the bike can be found. So I drop down to 4th to give it the beans and it just sits there. The gas tank is small, like 80 miles and then the light comes on. 

Now I would argue that this is the perfect city commuter bike if you are sub 5' 10. At 6 foot and 180lb's with size 13 feet its just not fitting me well. Given what I paid for it I can walk out just eating the 200$ in tax I paid which I likely am going to do. Test riding a MT07/09 at a Yamaha ride event later this week as well as a R7 and taking a friends 950S ducati supersport out to test as well. Both can be had cheap and cheerful. Wish I could find a used CBR650R to try as well. 

I wish California dealerships let you test ride stuff ut I can see the legal reasons they don't let you. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/9/21 3:52 p.m.

Thats disappointing to hear.  I'm 6' 180 also and this look like its about perfect.

I don't think the speed would bother me.  Sounds like my old 250R

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/9/21 4:17 p.m.

The R3 is supposed to be better on gas, better on fitment and the fairing makes it better up top.

Biggest thing is I am getting like 30mpg right now but I am riding it like banshee everywhere. My Harley gets 41 a gallon last time I did a long ride. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGMAsB3u4wYQmMYGiLtEmrbkKWCwzdBlxoGEAabm3WK7dDu2iJwWVNW1qbhCAynQ