1 2
jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/10/09 4:38 p.m.

I came across a cheap 1982 Sportster. I was wondering if anyone on here has owned one and what their opinion of it is.

I've always wanted to own a Harley but I'm not a huge fan of the prices.

If I were to buy it the ultimate plan would be to build a hardtail bobber out of it. I looked at a Sucker Punch Sally bobber not to long ago and like everything about it but the $26,000 price tag. From some shopping around I think I could build the Sportster I found into a similar bike for under $5000.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/10/09 6:02 p.m.

Run. Run fast, run hard, don't look back. The very last bike you want is an iron head Sportster.

Then for just a little bit more green, find you one made 1986 or later, the "883" "Evolution Sportster." It is as reliable as a Toyota Truck. Sizes came in 883 CC (same displacement as the old 900 Sportster), 1100, 1200. You can convert an 883 to 1200 for just new pistons and jugs. The 4 speeds seem to sell for less than the 5 speeds, but 4 speeds is plenty when your torque curve is as flat as Paris Hilton.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/10/09 8:36 p.m.

I've noticed that iron heads seem to be cheap. What makes then so bad?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
7/10/09 9:14 p.m.

Were they from the AMF era? I have heard that was the low point for Harleys.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/10/09 9:36 p.m.

'79 was HD's very worst year of all time, and the end of the AMF era. '82 was better than '79, but still quite problematic.

Iron head Sportsters are the worst of all things HD. They shake themselves apart, everything breaks or falls off, weak transmissions, clutches, top ends, generator electrical systems, I could go on. They were fast, though, for the times. A friend of mine built a small aftermarket shop into a HD dealership on iron head Sportsters. He raced an iron head Sportster in top fuel, so he knew how to work on them. No one else would touch them. He always said you need 4 cams if you want to go fast. We counted over 20 of them in his shop one day, in a shop of about 1500 sq ft or less. They were lined up around the walls, parked in front, everywhere.

Compounding all the design, material and build quality problems is the fact that they were mostly owned by people who couldn't afford to keep them running. So, complete shade tree DPO issues are on any that you will find.

Anyway, as I said, you can get a decent Evo Sportster for maybe $500 more than an iron head, and that five bills will go into the iron head to try to get it running if it isn't when you get it, or it will go into the iron head in your first week of ownership when it breaks. The Evo Sportster is bulletproof.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
7/10/09 9:59 p.m.

All this talk about iron head Sportsters got me thinking about the old XLCR Cafe Racer.

A quick Google search shows that they only made 3123 of them. I never would have thought that they were that rare.

I must have seen every one of them.

alex
alex HalfDork
7/10/09 11:45 p.m.

Cafe it. If you do a Brit-inspired bike, the lack of reliability (or the presence of negative reliability) will fit right into the concept.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/11/09 2:34 p.m.

Would there be any point that one would be cheap enough to ride for one season and sell the next at a profit or would you profit go into keeping the bike running?

The only reason I ask is that this is a running bike and I may be able to pick it up for the $1800 range if I were to show up with cash.

From what I seen that pretty cheap even for an unreliable Harley.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/11/09 3:47 p.m.

Profit and Iron Head Sportster are not terms that go together. At least not very often. Now, if you just want something to look at in the garage as it rusts and leaks oil while you wait for parts that cost you more and more every week, then by all means, jump on that. Also keep in mind that a top end only lasts about 15-20K miles.

Take your $1800 and look for an 883. I've seen them in that range on CL.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/11/09 4:20 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Take your $1800 and look for an 883. I've seen them in that range on CL.

Really? They don't sell for that around here. Bikes (in my opinion) can be pricey around here.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/11/09 5:19 p.m.

If you put another five bills or so with that, which you'll spend on parts shortly with an iron head, as I said, you can get one on eBay. Or shop CL. Or go buy that thing, but don't come biatching to me when it won't start or something falls off every time you ride it. Here's a hint: a generator in 1982!!

Woody
Woody SuperDork
7/11/09 5:53 p.m.

A friend had an iron head Sportster that had been completely built up, including twin plug heads. I refused to follow him when we rode together, as I was struck by falling parts on two occasions. Eventually, our problem resolved itself, as he was no longer able to get the bike to start.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/11/09 6:52 p.m.

Here's one for $2500, punched out to 1200 already with a bunch of other stuff:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1260444413.html 93 HD Sportster 883 punched out to a 1200. Color Black. Lowered in the rear, 21 inch tire in the front, S&S Carberator, Hyper Charger Intake, LOTS of EXTRAS! Clean bike ready to Ride Today! Location: land o lakes

People I used to ride with said that the 1200 Sportsters never lost a stoplight drag.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
7/11/09 7:01 p.m.
It is as reliable as a Toyota Truck.

And only marginally slower...

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/11/09 9:15 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Take your $1800 and look for an 883. I've seen them in that range on CL.
Really? They don't sell for that around here. Bikes (in my opinion) can be pricey around here.

cause you're looking during the wrong time of year. Bike sales in general tank in the winter, February is my favorite month to bike shop.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/11/09 9:31 p.m.

They don't tank as much here in the south. It's warm 10+ months of the year?

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords Reader
7/11/09 9:45 p.m.

Although I can't say for sure, but with the economy in the tank, it can't be easy to sell a 30 year old sporster right now, regardless of season. I'm a harley fan, but I would never search out an ironhead as my only bike.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
7/11/09 10:56 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: They don't tank as much here in the south. It's warm 10+ months of the year?

Then look a few states north and have a road trip!!!

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
7/12/09 8:58 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Here's one for $2500, punched out to 1200 already with a bunch of other stuff:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1260444413.html 93 HD Sportster 883 punched out to a 1200. Color Black. Lowered in the rear, 21 inch tire in the front, S&S Carberator, Hyper Charger Intake, LOTS of EXTRAS! Clean bike ready to Ride Today! Location: land o lakes
People I used to ride with said that the 1200 Sportsters never lost a stoplight drag.

Little far from me but real nice bike for the money. Need to increase the money in my account but looks like you've sold me. I'm going to keep an eye out for one maybe this winter.

Shooterj2003
Shooterj2003 New Reader
9/2/13 11:24 p.m.

In reply to jwdmotorsports: yeah,I have one and can't wait to have more,they are great machines,I take care of mine,it takes care of me,starts everytime,the guy before made a mess out of it ,but I straightened things out quickly,I love ironheads,I actually like all motorcycles,but lean toward those that are precomputer,I think we've come to rely on electronics a bit much,I do like the electronic ign.but I could live with points easily.if your not sure look around other places and ask,there's guys out there that hate 'em- like Dr.Hess(he burnt his finger on the exhaust or something!)and there is guys like me that love them,swear by them and have sworn at them before we learned thier language.check out the XLFORUMS,they are experts in all things Sportster.I like coming here because it sometimes needs somebody to stick up for these great bikes,mine is a 77. Good luck man

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/3/13 5:26 a.m.

Zombie thread...

...but thanks, I couldn't remember Tony's username.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/3/13 6:11 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/sprockets/nice-little-project-or-trip-into-hell/69514/page1/

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/3/13 10:22 a.m.

Was there a canoe here?

Or did Shooter really go back four years to convince people old sporty's are good bikes?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/3/13 10:27 a.m.

Twice.

Shooterj2003
Shooterj2003 New Reader
9/3/13 11:09 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver: sorry,in my haste to support my chosen favorite I did not note the date but better late than never.I'm not perfect ,if that's the worst thing I ever did I 'd sure sleep easier.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3hJSEgYSLANNtX4ri2lVtHN0MwfpssKg7jG3O2fTrBqox6ICBpzjhww5MxxPrhz7