Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
8/25/18 5:11 p.m.

Got to thank the Swedish engineers for designing this machine. It always manages to haul my untalented ass through the woods.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/25/18 5:43 p.m.

spandak
spandak Reader
8/25/18 6:04 p.m.

The weather has been surprisingly nice in LA this week, just right for a morning ride in Malibu.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/8/18 9:53 a.m.

Just picked up another ride, a 2004 Honda VTX1300S. It sat up for a while and the owner decided to sell it instead of fixing it. The shop it was at had done some work to it. Fuel tank was a bit of a mess inside, but it cleaned up pretty good. The issue now is the vent line inside the tank is partially plugged, so you can only go a short distance before it runs out of fuel. Leave the cap off and you can ride more, but not a safe thing to do. Hopefully I can get the vent cleared, I have run a wire up the line and it is clear most of the way, just can't tell what is at the end high up in the tank.

I will admit, it is completely different riding it vs the Katana, the two couldn't be much more different. Both do what they are intended to do well. But at 700 lbs wet, the VTX is a beast.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/21/18 5:01 a.m.

Bought this in the spring. Almost sold it in the summer, but decided to keep it for a long term project. It's a gl1100 Interstate but it looks a lot nicer nekkid. I have turn signals from a HD and a headlight from a V-Rod to go on, but the short term plan is make it safe and rideable and do the Lake Superior Circle. 1000 miles for $1000US is the goal. Then I will paint it and do something about that seat.

Bike the 2nd is a new aquisition. My brother's abandoned 2001 KLR650. It came to him looking like a beat up version of this.

And he started "improving" it. Now it looks more like this

On the bright side, It's coming with a larger IMS gas tank and a bunch of other new parts. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/21/18 9:25 a.m.

Does it have a milk crate?  Every KLR is supposed to have a milk crate strapped to it!  cheeky

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
10/21/18 3:30 p.m.
Rodan said:

Does it have a milk crate?  Every KLR is supposed to have a milk crate strapped to it!  cheeky

It might. I'll have to check the pile when I have a chance.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
10/22/18 4:06 p.m.

when out and took what I think are some pretty good pics of the bikes -

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
10/22/18 7:19 p.m.

I was big time into 80's superbikes for a while - here's my hotrodded 82 CB900F;

photo DSCN0330_zpskgdbujjo.jpg

photo DSCN0332_zps4eamu5xn.jpg

photo DSCN0324_zpshejm53sw.jpg

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
10/22/18 7:30 p.m.

Been very rainy here recently. 

Unfortunately I got some very nasty noises from it this morning. I'm hoping it is the can chain tensioner. I'll be calling the dealer when they open in the morning.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/22/18 8:41 p.m.
pontiacstogo said:

I was big time into 80's superbikes for a while - here's my hotrodded 82 CB900F;

photo DSCN0330_zpskgdbujjo.jpg

That is just super sexy!  yeslaugh 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/22/18 8:42 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I saw your post over on ADV... hope it isn't as serious as it sounds... 

AAZCD
AAZCD Reader
10/22/18 9:34 p.m.

My first (probably 1975):

My last (2015):

I didn't really like riding the Vulcan. It just didn't feel right sitting like that. The only one I truly loved was a 1973 Norton 850 Commando. Sold in the '80s when I married my first wife (regrettable on both counts). I have no pictures, but just like this:

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
10/27/18 12:38 p.m.
Rodan said:

That is just super sexy!  yeslaugh 

Thanks. I still have that bike and a 1981 CB900F Supersport with more 'period' mods;

photo 75B80953-1FC6-4471-84C9-BD01151F7D12_zpsiusmyyap.jpg

Here's my 1982 Katana that I sold on eBay recently - it was a fun ride and a great conversation starter!

photo 028_zpsc4sdloa4.jpg

photo 033_zpsermq6spp.jpg

photo 042_zpsqfznxnxe.jpg

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/27/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to pontiacstogo :

How is that CB900F to ride? I have a stupid fondness for that superbike era/style, but suspect I shouldn't meet my heroes, so to speak.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/27/18 3:23 p.m.

I wasn't really a fan of the Katana styling when they first came out, but that one looks great!  I don't remember them coming with wire wheels, though... are those original?

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
10/27/18 8:10 p.m.

Ransom said:

How is that CB900F to ride? I have a stupid fondness for that superbike era/style, but suspect I shouldn't meet my heroes, so to speak.

Any newer bike is going to be faster, more nimble and easier to live with in general.  But the older superbikes still have more than enough power to get you into trouble and I much prefer the upright riding position of this style of bike.

Rodan said:

I wasn't really a fan of the Katana styling when they first came out, but that one looks great!  I don't remember them coming with wire wheels, though... are those original?

Yep - they were definitely polarizing.  I didn't leave much stock on that example - including swapping out the original cast wheels for the spoked wheels.  It was my 'nod' to the Aussie and NZ race special Katanas.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/27/18 10:04 p.m.

I have an '82 Katana as well, I think there's a picture of it here someplace.  

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/4/18 9:17 a.m.

Sad day, she's put away for the winter. At least she has good company for the next 6 months.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
11/4/18 5:07 p.m.
Rusnak_322 said:

when out and took what I think are some pretty good pics of the bikes -

That is so sexy!

EDT
EDT New Reader
11/4/18 5:13 p.m.

Sometimes browsing FB Marketplace pays off, now I have a sub Challenge priced Triumph to ride with my dad. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/4/18 10:45 p.m.

In reply to EDT :

I wasn't drinking coffee, and managed to materialize some out of the ether to spit-take at my screen... $2k?! Oh... wait... You mean not a (2300cc) Rocket III? Still confusing, as the Rocket still seems like a better companion to the Harley.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
11/5/18 12:23 a.m.
AAZCD said:

The only one I truly loved was a 1973 Norton 850 Commando. Sold in the '80s when I married my first wife (regrettable on both counts). I have no pictures, but just like this:

So...go get her back! I mean the bike, not the wife! laugh

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
11/5/18 3:33 p.m.

This year's DGR in Kansas City. Got to be the centerfold for the group photo at the WWI memorial. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/5/18 5:48 p.m.

Rode yesterday to see the leaves, 34-degrees was not fun. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNkfU2oc6cFWwsI3y5uW0tCoriTgygULCQGCtFfVxWHsXL0fDhdyOXqjiLttGOYk