Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/17/21 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!  Currently looking at exhaust options that let me lean more.  It's kinda annoying not being able take corners like the left side, and rights are usually tighter.  Stupid Harley.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/18/21 12:37 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

The old Sporties I've had in the past would scrape the peg befort the tipes would hit, but that was back in the straight pipe days (why I'm deaf now!) and 1/34 tube tucks in better than those.

Def.l;ooking good.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/18/21 7:09 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I scraped the stock pegs until the curb feeler looking things are gone

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/18/21 8:19 a.m.

Those sportys are notoriously short on rear travel, I think Irons even moreso, so you're on the deck immediately when you lean it. Longer shocks aren't too expensive, maybe a possibility?

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/18/21 8:28 a.m.

In reply to fatallightning :

I'm saving for rear shocks now, and since the Harley tax is real I'm having to save a lot.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
3/18/21 12:53 p.m.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/19/21 6:38 p.m.

Out with the old, in with the new. Traded in the Rnine t for an S1000RR in Hockenheim silver with race and select package.

Unfortunately will not be able to take delivery for the next three weeks until a recall is taken care off. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/21/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Nice!  I stay away from those type bikes, I'm not mature enough yet to ride one for long and still have my license 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/21/21 11:31 a.m.

Nice! I think the RR's have enough electronics to keep death at bay. They look good, that's for sure. 

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
3/21/21 12:22 p.m.

Oo, those are both really compelling bikes...

3/23/21 10:24 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Nice! I think the RR's have enough electronics to keep death at bay. They look good, that's for sure. 

They would not even let me take it for a spin until the new calipers arrive!

So I got home and went for a ride in my 2000 Yamaha R1. "Only" 150 horse and its a bullet, just pulls and pulls and pulls. Can't imagine what the RR feels like with 205 surprise

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
3/24/21 5:43 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

I'm saving for rear shocks now, and since the Harley tax is real I'm having to save a lot.

When I was close to buying a sporty, I remember the Burly Stilettos being popular for the money, 270-300. I think Progressive has something around that price too.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/24/21 6:21 a.m.

I think that is exactly what he means by hd tax... before hd’s became a status symbol, you could buy progressive shocks for under 2 bills. Sure they cost a dollar or 2 more to make now, but not double!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/24/21 12:30 p.m.

I posted 2 screenshots of the HD tax but they were huge.

Bassani full exhaust for the Indian vtwin was $450, the same thing with slightly different bends (that look easier) for a Sportster are $800

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/24/21 12:40 p.m.

Bought it on the weekend, but first ride was yesterday. Forecast is barely above freezing for the next week, I'm itching to get comfortable on it.

Ordered a cheap set of adjustable pegs to help me fit until I can find someone willing to make me a taller seat

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/24/21 2:32 p.m.

^ That looks great. I wish they made the exact same thing with two extra cylinders and the same displacement.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/24/21 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

Those may be the best looking conventional forks I've ever seen. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
3/24/21 8:31 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

So I got home and went for a ride in my 2000 Yamaha R1. "Only" 150 horse and its a bullet, just pulls and pulls and pulls. Can't imagine what the RR feels like with 205 surprise

IMHO, the 1st gen R1 is right up there with the 916 Duc as one of the prettiest modern sportbikes.  Just a classic looker! yes

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/25/21 7:02 a.m.
Rodan said:

IMHO, the 1st gen R1 is right up there with the 916 Duc as one of the prettiest modern sportbikes.  Just a classic looker! yes

I wanted one of these so bad in my youth. I still want one, even tho I'd never ride one broken heart

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
3/25/21 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

That's hot, congrats

3/25/21 8:28 p.m.
Rodan said:

Mine is a second gen, '98-99 was the first. '00-01 was the second gen. 

I had a CBR 900RR and went to purchase a used CBR 929 back in 2002. As I was looking at the CBR the salesman asked why instead of a used CBR I got a new R1. I told him that I really liked it, but could not afford it, he replied "yes, you can". 

Long story short he had this left over 2000 and I ended up buying it for $7500, it ended up being $8017 out the door (I just checked the invoice :)). A new one was ~$10,700 back then and the used CBR 929 was $9200. 

Back then the new model had arrived and it was fuel injected vs the four carbs on the 2nd gen. 

This bike was revolutionary for a liter bike. ~380 lbs and with the stacked transmission it was as long as a 600. 

3/25/21 8:46 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

^ That looks great. I wish they made the exact same thing with two extra cylinders and the same displacement.

Growing up my dad had a CBX 1050. I will never forget him trying to set it on the center stand and bitching about how heavy it was laugh, I was probably 6 or so. 

Before that he had a CB900 Bol d'Or.

3/25/21 8:48 p.m.
Run_Away said:

Bought it on the weekend, but first ride was yesterday. Forecast is barely above freezing for the next week, I'm itching to get comfortable on it.

Ordered a cheap set of adjustable pegs to help me fit until I can find someone willing to make me a taller seat

This bike is beautiful. I considered buying one a few years ago. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
4/2/21 10:10 p.m.

Because everything Harley is unnecessarily heavy, I took some weight out of the front fender.  First I cut off several inches and drilled out the rivets.

Then I moved it back so I could keep the finished edge up front.

Then I hid the original rivet holes by drilling speed holes on either side, then Swiss cheesed the bracket too.

Finished product is noticeably lighter..

Next step is tires (thanks Brap!) then I can slot the mounting holes to get the fender closer to the tire

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/21 6:37 a.m.

Commuting at it's finest. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fsRncAivgLwuXWVGYUJs8qN1LA9EvXDBUhTKfB9KqVkTaTiPkABIXJNMCy7TTOnw