dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/21/23 10:18 a.m.

Nice to see tan sidewall tires and bar end shifters!

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/5/23 8:31 a.m.

New (used) gravel bikes for me and SWMBO. First unpaved ride went well, if a bit slowly, yesterday.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
2/5/23 8:32 a.m.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
2/5/23 9:25 a.m.

I'm a sucker for a good project.  $200 xr100 with a possibly stuck motor.  I'll just keep eyeing that BBR 120 kit. laugh

Bought sight unseen, naturally.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/5/23 8:09 p.m.

Gravel bikes are the Subaru Outback of the bike world :)

My wife and I are going to do the Tour of the Moon (aka the Coors Classic) this year because it literally goes around our house. But she's not confident on her (vintage Klein) road bike. So I put her on a modified used Salsa gravel bike with chunky 650x2.0" tires. A bit of fettling on the ergonomics and she's dramatically more comfortable. 

I'm a stronger rider than she is and it didn't seem fair for me to be on an ultra efficient road bike. And besides, I'm tired of 23mm tires and all the pain they bring. So I decided to convert my hard tail to gravel-ish spec. I love riding it off-road but with the new Trek in the family, that's just not going to happen any more. 
 Drop bars, shifters for a 1x10 with hydraulic brakes (now that's a hard critter to find), 700x40 tires. I'm still tweaking it including a much bigger chainring to bring the gearing into range, but it's remarkably fun already. Weird looking, but fast enough to be enjoyable without the pain and the fragile tires. I'm running a fair bit of air pressure in the shock so it doesn't move around much but it does take the hit out of frost heaves and expansion joints.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/13/23 10:28 a.m.

Put a new stem on, regreased fork, adjusted rotor alignment and put a new seat/seat post on. 

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
2/13/23 12:24 p.m.

Absolutely picture perfect day of Dirt Squirting yesterday in Tillamook State Forest.

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick New Reader
2/13/23 12:48 p.m.

Here's a pic of my new travel/gravel/whatever bike.  Titanium Lynskey Cooper, chopped for S&S couplers by Bilenky in Philadelphia.  Packs into an airline legal size suitcase to go anywhere.  I finally spent some money and put SRAM AXS ETAP on this bike.  I have traveled all over the world with S&S coupled bikes, but this one has yet to go anywhere exotic.  Hope to fix that this year.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/13/23 9:52 p.m.

Picked up a new steed on Saturday. 

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/13/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

Awesome; looks like a great do-it-all bike, and Lynskey makes some nice stuff. Definitely post pictures when you take it somewhere exotic!

2/18/23 11:13 p.m.

Bittersweet day as I entered into an agreement to sell the Aprilia SXV today. I can't contain the awesomeness of three supermotos, so time to thin the herd a bit. It is going to a good home with a local enthusiast who has owned multiple examples of this bike. I'm really going to miss the soundtrack of that pure-race-tuned V-twin, though! As much as I do also love a good thumper, the soundtrack leaves a bit to be desired.

As much as I'll miss it, I wasn't riding it much, and more bandwidth and a few extra bucks for me to put towards other projects eases the pain a bit. IMO one of the best-looking supermotos ever, but you aren't looking at them while riding them, and don't need to own one to appreciate the styling.

Life's too short to not take a crack Italian exotic ownership at least once, but it isn't short enough to live happily with said exotic long term!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/19/23 12:31 p.m.

everything happily loving on the garage. I really like my new xr1200. It's a Harley Supermoto and I think with the right tires it would even be fun in the dirt and gravel. Heavy but fun. 

Jdh
Jdh
2/19/23 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Happy with the Luna Fixed?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/19/23 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Jdh :

I am. The battery level meter is more of a slightly delayed ammeter than state of charge - work it hard, SoC drops and then recovers - but no complaints. I did change out the grips for comfort and have added lights, otherwise it's stock. My only real wish list is for tubeless tires, I might look into that. I've had one ride ruined with a flat, despite having CO2 and patches.

Overall I'm quite enjoying it - E-bike speed and convenience without the dork factor :) Of course, I go and  put on my bright orange helmet to ride so it's not completely dork free. But the bike is cool and smooth and quick enough. It's got a natural cruising speed of about 18 mph.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/19/23 6:49 p.m.

The gravel converted hardtail mountain bike is basically done. I've swapped to a better set of brakes (inherited from the new mountain bike which got a set of XT brakes I had handy), installed a 40T chainring in place of the 32T to make the gearing more road friendly and tweaked the fit. Still looks weird (less so with the fork compressed when I'm on it) but I'm enjoying road riding again with a little more tire under me. Even better, this is a bike that was probably not going to get much future riding otherwise. I'd rather see my old road bike get dusty in the shed than the Bianchi. 

Just got back from going for a ride just because it was a nice day. That's what bikes are for!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/19/23 7:25 p.m.

Here's the gravel bike with more traditional tube routing but the same geometry and a bit of fork sag :) This is what it rides like if you don't get distracted by the looks. Very careful observers might notice the high level of care taken with the image manipulation.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/23/23 12:27 p.m.

The kids wanted something to learn to ride on and I didnt want them on dirt bikes right away so I'd been looking for a moped. I asked EvanB to keep an eye out and he found this right away. Runs great, needs tires and some little stuff.

all but the youngest have ridden it around the yard and driveway and enjoyed it

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/25/23 12:00 p.m.

new red pedals.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
2/25/23 3:39 p.m.

also these came today

2/25/23 7:57 p.m.

In reply to EricM :

Nice! Those are eye-popping in a good way; they look great! I've had several pairs of Specialized Pro/3.0 shoes (step below S-Works with carbon sole) and loved the style, lightweight, performance, and comfort.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
2/25/23 10:36 p.m.

Mine.....Official MINI Folding Bike. Great for toodling around the neighborhood, perfect for car shows or as a pit bike for race events. 8 speed shifter on the handle bars, easy to ride and very maneuverable. When folded it fits in either a MINI or a Mini!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
2/26/23 7:23 a.m.

Grom 

2/26/23 11:40 p.m.

Bittersweet farewell this morning to the sexiest, most-ridiculous, most-awesome, most-exhilarating (and slightly terrifying) supermoto ever. crying I struggled with either doing it right and making something of it, or else selling this bike for years, so I'm proud that I took action and reached a resolution.

The bike went to the best home possible with a local enthusiast, and will join a collection including an RC8, Superduke, another SXV, and more. We even managed to fit the handoff in between snowstorms. Now I have one less maintenance headache/expense, and some money in my pocket to pay for a supercharger kit for my FR-S! smiley

I'm going to miss the soundtrack, though! Example below; not my video, but gives a good sense how the little race-bred V-twin sounds very different from a typical thumper!

spandak
spandak Dork
3/4/23 12:42 a.m.

My old Moto Guzzi. It's a rad little bike

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
3/4/23 7:47 a.m.

I've ridden those. They are cool little bikes. Feel like they weigh about 100 lbs.

@foxtrapper on here has one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJ3cYT4C2x0oKEe9pttN0LamPZ6vs5yr9kWKBkm7pIprx6idWMQSxTuaqdFF7XB0