1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/11/11 7:59 p.m.

Edit: that should say cheap. Der...

I know cheap and good don't usually run together but I'm looking for a new helmet. Looking to spend around a hundo. Full faced.

Before you say it, I know, I know, " a $100 helmet for a $100 head." It's the best I can do, and I won't buy used. That's for every thing else as far as gear goes. I might go for a 3/4, but that's a stretch.

Been looking at E-Bay and craigslist. Any favorite companies that make inexpensive buckets? Particular models?

Morbid
Morbid Reader
9/11/11 8:03 p.m.

My Fulmer isn't too bad and was just under $100.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/11/11 8:09 p.m.

Try gforceoutlet.com or even better, seller gforceoutlet on ebay.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/11/11 8:18 p.m.

Price does not equate to quality when it comes to helmets. As long as it carries the required approval, it should be fine. I have a $400 Fox helmet and wear a $69 GMAX. They're my helmet of choice.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
9/11/11 8:18 p.m.

GMAX68. Do it. Any other helmet, and you're berkeleyin' retarded.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/11/11 8:32 p.m.

I saw some really nice HJC's in that budget line when I was looking at autox helmets this winter. make sure it carries a Snell 2010, so it's the most up to date.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
9/11/11 9:05 p.m.

I tend to recommend HJC because they are SNELL and DOT certified, cheap, good quality, and comfortable/fit well. A helmet only carrying DOT certification (like the GMAX) isn't going on my head. If GMAX helmets were SNELL certified I would pick one up in an instant.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/11/11 9:24 p.m.

I've been eyeballing HJCs, but busy graphics are hard to look past. Wishing for nuclear yellow.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/11/11 10:00 p.m.

DOT only=Dead On Tarmac.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/11/11 10:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote: DOT only=Dead On Tarmac.

...or not. It depends what you are doing with it

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
9/11/11 10:21 p.m.

You guys should learn about Snell. I don't wear a Snell approved helmet unless it mandatory. DOT = the better choice.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
9/11/11 10:35 p.m.

I buy SNELL + DOT helmets because they work for motorsports events as well as with a motorcycle.

I have never tried on a GMAX, but I will say of the helmets I've had, my HJC gets used the most. The fact that you can remove all of the [sweaty] padding inside it and wash it is awesome. Can't do that with the other 2 helmets I have.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/11/11 10:41 p.m.

Cripes. That's the second time I've felt like an idiot in the light of you sage information-givers in the last hour. That was a very interesting helmet article. Seriously.

asterisk
asterisk New Reader
9/11/11 11:38 p.m.

Also, this usually goes without saying but try them on before purchasing. You want the helmet to be tight enough that someone can't pull it off your head when strapped down. If it can be slid off chances are it won't stay on in a crash.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/11/11 11:54 p.m.

That's why I really hesitate to buy one online. Unless I was low down and used a retail store for recon for an online buy.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/12/11 5:37 a.m.

I like to try them on. When I bough my Bieffe the cheek pads were so tight it gave me headaches for the first few weeks, broke in nicely however. Buying on line = shipping back and forth.

Dan

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
9/12/11 6:03 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Cripes. That's the second time I've felt like an idiot in the light of you sage information-givers in the last hour. That was a very interesting helmet article. Seriously.

No issues. I would have said the same thing until I had read it....and it was someone else here on the GRM forum who clued me in a while back

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
9/12/11 7:18 a.m.

Been using a Scorpion EXO the past couple years - very comfortable and a decent price.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
9/12/11 7:22 a.m.

Scorpion EXO

Take your pick . . .

I'm been using a Scorpion EXO 700 .. .nice helmet

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
9/12/11 7:51 a.m.

"Dealer News" about 8 years ago had a great how to fit and select a helmet article. They used to up-date and re-run it but since I'm no longer a dealer i can't get it anymore. As I don't have current data all i will say is. 1)Take your time and shop local. 2) go to several dealerships they all carry same Major brands but most carry one different line then the other guy in town. 3) Ask to be fitted for it, If they don't have someone who is trained to fit ask why not! Most factory's will send a trainer for the sales staff for free!! 4) Make sure they stock Shields for it.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
9/12/11 8:19 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Scorpion EXO Take your pick . . . I'm been using a Scorpion EXO 700 .. .nice helmet

I love my EXO700, in the hi-viz. I don't consider it a cheap helmet, though. Had the GMAX come in hi-viz however, I would have bought it. and pocketed the rest.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/12/11 8:44 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
mndsm wrote: DOT only=Dead On Tarmac.
...or not. It depends what you are doing with it

I don't know what to think about all these ratings now.

alex
alex SuperDork
9/12/11 1:18 p.m.

Glad somebody beat me to the Blowing The Lid Off link. In my mind, that is Gospel on helmet safety. Looks like Motorcyclist online is no longer hosting the piece, which is a shame.

My recommendation for a cheap helmet is the cheapest you can find/stand that wears DOT and ECE certification. At least a few years ago, Tucker Rocky (one of the big parts/accessories distributors) had an in-house line of helmets called SparX that thoroughly impressed me at their entry-level price point - $100 or less. It's been a few years since I've had one in my hands, but they were very nice helmets when they first came out. I wear a not-inexpensive Shark that I LOVE, but I bought a SparX as a backup when our shop started carrying them.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
9/12/11 2:47 p.m.

My only reason for wearing an expensive (well, $350) helmet is comfort. I must have tried on 50 different helmets and none of them fit like my Shoei. The Shoei is comfy but still snug. Compared to my AFX it doesn't buffet my head on the freeway, and I can do an over the shoulder check without the visor flipping up.

Try on the helmet before buying. If you're lucky, a cheap helmet will fit. If you're a freak of nature like me, only one helmet in a hundred will fit. I went from dreading long rides to liking them, so don't scrimp by buying a helmet that doesn't fit. [but also don't spend money just to spend it...]

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/12/11 3:07 p.m.

^ that was requirement 1 for me. Autox requires Snell, which put most of the HJC's in my size out of contention. The Shoei I have (like 450$ worth of the damn thing) was the only one that fit my fat head and carried the necessary specs. I would probably wear an HJC for a bike if I had one, I found those more comfortable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Eet7kK1kBaxyfb5h04JbNTSOtaVmAIbeB7vVrPx6BoSqxr743dEGOLBwdQLBoASb