1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
6/25/12 9:42 p.m.

For good reason though, her uncle was killed on one in 1977. Lil history on that, her mom grew up in West Virginia, and one time on a twisty mountain road, a coal truck ran him off the road, and he hit his head on the handlebars. His friends were afraid they would get in trouble for some reason, and ran off leaving him in the ditch. He wasn't doing anything stupid (that we know of) just an unfortunate accident.

I'm way too young to be having a mid life crisis, but lately I've been reaaaaally wanting a bike. I blame the Ride Apart shows on Drive, because ever since I discovered that, I've been wanting something BAD. Just a small cafe racer or street legal dirt bike, whatever the proper term for that is.

How can I find a way to buy a bike without doing the "Look what I bought, honey!" Or the begging on my knees approach.

For the record, the only time I've even came close to riding a motorcycle was a sport quad. I can handle the hand clutch, I've just never done it on two wheels.

This wasn't intended to be a what car (what bike?) thread, but what would you recommend for a new rider? I dig the cafe racer look, and I'm not crazy about street bikes or cruisers. I guess that doesn't leave me much, haha.

EvanB
EvanB UberDork
6/25/12 9:46 p.m.

Would your wife hate cars and not let you have one if her uncle was killed in one?

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
6/25/12 9:54 p.m.

My mom was killed in a car accident. I don't hate cars.

Find a (used) Triumph Thruxton; shouldnt be that expensive. About as authentic "Cafe" as they come.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/25/12 11:21 p.m.

The only way to go about this is to buy one. She'll probably still dislike them, but won't freak out so much after you survive for a while. Also, don't fool yourself into thinking that a "slow" bike is safer.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/25/12 11:36 p.m.

I got the big "No" on the idea on getting a bike as well, so i decided that I would settle for 20 cars, so far that has kept us both happy.

Now I'm thinking inboard V8 boats...

nocones
nocones Dork
6/25/12 11:39 p.m.

Meh build a Lotus 7 clone and be done with it. It'd be one thing if you rode motorcycles when you met her and your wife told you to stop. It's another thing for her to say I don't want you doing this activity you don't do now and want to start doing that I don't like because my uncle died doing it.
Ask yourself this If she will never be ok with it and will be worried that you will DIE everytime you ride is any amount of joy for you worth knowingly putting her in that place?
If you don't respect her feelings enough to not buy a bike just buy one. She'll either be ok with it eventually or won't.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/26/12 5:26 a.m.

I would take the basic Motorcycle Safety Couse in your area. It's about $120. Small bore motorcycles are supplied so you don't get to dump something you own.

This will let you know if riding is something you want to continue and show if you have an aptitude for it. Some people really don't belong on motorcycles.

Dan

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/26/12 6:36 a.m.

Go to your local Harley dealer check out the "Riders Edge" school. They'll give you class room time then on the bike time back and forth until you can handle it. My local dealer uses Buel Blast 500cc singles. If you pass the class you get your Lic. at the end. Having taught a dozen or so people how to ride i now just send them to the Riders Edge as the lessons learned truly provide you insight on how to handle things on the road. I even sent my wife to one, She just completed 2000 mile 8 day road trip.

http://www.sheldons.com/default.asp?page=riders-edge

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
6/26/12 6:38 a.m.

The MSF course in my home state of PA is actually free. They supply everything; all you have to do is show up. I had experience riding dirt bikes for many years but still found it very educational and even fun.

I am unable to understand a spouse that tells me I can't do something; it's simply a foreign concept in our marriage, so can't much help you there. I simply told her one day I was buying a bike; heck, she even loaned me some of the cash to pick it up! Probably helped that her brother rides, but mostly she knows what a safety nazi I am when it comes to such things. I never ride without proper gear and always get whatever training is available to me.

As for what bike to start with...it doesn't sound like even you know what you want. You're tossing out terms like 'cafe racer' and 'street legal dirt bike' (which would be an enduro or dual-sport) but saying you don't want a 'street bike', so I remain puzzled. A lot of the modern 250cc bikes are perfect beginner rides, capable of keeping up with most traffic, are light and nimble, and are easy to find cheap as used bikes because people tend to 'outgrow' them and think they need more power/size/style. I'm a big fan of the Suzuki TU250X which is a classic 'standard' bike but with fuel injection and disc brakes:

The Honda 250 Nighthawk is another standard, though it has a drum brake on the front:

Most everyone offers some sort of small displacement dual-sport; here's a Kawasaki:

And what preceded them was the 'enduro'; these would be vintage bikes from the 70s-80s:

You'd first want to decide on the type of riding you want to do, and then drill down to size and brand from there. If you're not going to hit dirt or trails, no need for the enduro/dual-sport. A small street bike can ride on improved gravel roads decently provided the rider has decent skills.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
6/26/12 8:09 a.m.

You have to first decide if the marital strife is worth it. There are probably other ways to have fun that won't result in a divorce.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
6/26/12 8:20 a.m.

I wonder if you could get her interested in something like off-road minibiking as a "together activity".

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
6/26/12 12:26 p.m.

I've always loved the idea of a bike, but have never owned one. A couple of years ago I had the itch pretty bad, and so did her sister. A few weeks after getting her license, the sister had a bad accident (airlift, coma, etc) and a bike was off the table, as far as my wife was concerned. Then a family friend crashed his Harley and couldn't work for over a year. Now with kid #2 on the way, its just not an option.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
6/26/12 12:30 p.m.

I used the Gas Mileage argument once the kids reached an agreed upon age. Then she upped my life insurance.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
6/26/12 12:48 p.m.

Get some of these first:

Then get the bike.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
6/26/12 3:48 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I would take the basic Motorcycle Safety Couse in your area. It's about $120. Small bore motorcycles are supplied so you don't get to dump something you own. This will let you know if riding is something you want to continue and show if you have an aptitude for it. Some people really don't belong on motorcycles. Dan

Quoted because everyone who has "the itch" should do this. My wife is taking her's next weekend, she has always been interested and seeing me enjoying mine since October (returning rider) has added fuel to the spark.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
6/26/12 4:13 p.m.
nderwater wrote: A couple of years ago I had the itch pretty bad, and so did her sister

Taken out of context, this sentence could lead to a Penthouse Forum letter.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
6/26/12 5:23 p.m.

Another vote for riders edge, good course. Then just buy a cheap motorcycle and drive it home, and have at it.

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
6/26/12 5:34 p.m.

Thanks RMD, i about choked on my drink

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
6/26/12 8:24 p.m.

My wife hate motorcycles and cars

Just today she asked why I'm always looking at something I'll never be able to get. So far this year she has vetoed at least three attempts of me trying to drag home a bike or another car.

"HELL NO!" on the bike and "why do you need another car you already have one it's not like you'll be happy with this one the grass isn't always greener on the other side you know blah blah blah"

Someday soon I'm just going to do it and let the chips fall where they may. She doesn't get it, I mean she has absolutely no concept of it. I've tried to explain but she lives on a different planet than me.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
6/26/12 8:58 p.m.

A friend of mine used to say the proper answer to a woman's tirade was ,"SHUT UP BITCH, YOU ONLY MAKE IT WORSE!".

I asked if it ever worked. He said at least it ends the suspense.

rotard
rotard Dork
6/26/12 11:31 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: My wife hate motorcycles and cars Someday soon I'm just going to do it and let the chips fall where they may. She doesn't get it, I mean she has absolutely no concept of it. I've tried to explain but she lives on a different planet than me.

Why are you married to this person?

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/1/12 12:28 p.m.

Demonstrate to your wife you are willing to do it right and minimize the risks. Take the MSF course since they provide a bike for you. And be willing to buy and wear proper gear. No Jeans and just a jacket etc. Wearing all the gear and showing your dedication to safety goes a long way I feel in assuaging their fears

BAMF
BAMF Reader
7/1/12 8:27 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: How can I find a way to buy a bike without doing the "Look what I bought, honey!" Or the begging on my knees approach.

To drag back into the fore an old (and maybe banned) phrase: PIIHB.

In all seriousness though, it's rough being with someone who is unsupportive of your interests. People die in cars all the time, but everyone on this board loves them, and nearly everyone in the US still uses them. So what I'm saying is that if this is something you want to do, you should do it, and your spouse should come around unless she's just totally irrational.

I'd second taking the MSF course. It should give you an idea of how much you'll really enjoy riding.

For me, I am lucky. My wife doesn't love bikes, but she knows I do. She has been incredibly supportive, and I try to do likewise with her interests.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
7/2/12 6:05 a.m.

So what happened to the OP?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/2/12 6:55 a.m.

Maybe he took 4eyes' advice and can't type because of the casts and bandages.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zeVoUzwSbo3qy3yNHcArzqHYHkksWKTBBePFWBYhJjVoabTs4IlKRApe6qyoSAJr