1 2
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/2/12 8:16 a.m.

What happened? I've been trying to figure out how to start the conversation, without starting WWIII. The price of casts and bandages will be considered. No health insurance.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
7/2/12 8:54 a.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: What happened? I've been trying to figure out how to start the conversation, without starting WWIII. The price of casts and bandages will be considered. No health insurance.

"No health insurance." = stay off a bike she'll never let you do it.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
7/2/12 9:00 a.m.

I would pick up short and long term disability, good for non-motorcycle events in life. About three years ago my gallbladder checked out and checked me out of work for almost a month, kept the money rolling in .

Paul B

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
7/3/12 6:22 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: What happened? I've been trying to figure out how to start the conversation, without starting WWIII. The price of casts and bandages will be considered. No health insurance.
"No health insurance." = stay off a bike she'll never let you do it.

On a motorcycle, when you get into a fender bender, you are the fender. If the budget is too tight for insurance, just wait for your first medical bill!

She probably sees a motorcycle as a direct threat to your marriage contract, not completely unlike flirting a little too hard with the waitress at dinner.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/5/12 9:29 a.m.

Motorcycles are a lot of fun, but the fun is quickly burdened by the risk and the amount of gear required to mitigate that risk.

A 50cc scooter require far less gear, but that doesn't mean you can't get plastered by a Explorer who doesn't see you. A 50cc scooter also confines you to certain roads that a motorcycle does not.

If I had the income I wish I had, I'd sell the motorcycle, buy a Miata, and insert a turbo...or a V8.

If I had the money I could only dream of, I'd have a Locust.

My girlfriend enjoys riding on the back of my motorcycle, but hates wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, jeans, and all that other stuff. She'd rather just hop in a convertible let her hair down. She doesn't care if the convertible has a great power-to-weight ratio and some awesome handling characteristics.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/14/12 8:44 p.m.

I don't like the word "let" in a relationship. I think it's bullE36 M3, and should never be used, just as "yes dear" should never be uttered by anyone, man or woman. There needs to be a frank, honest discussion about the subject, and a good, reasonable answer reached. That answer is more complicated if you don't have health or life insurance and you want a motorcycle, but it should be had anyway.

But more than anything else, spare the "yes dear" crap, and spare the whining about being beaten down by your female partner (the term SWMBO should be banned as a matter of course), and talk to her. Be her best friend like you promised, and she will be yours. If you make what is important to her important to you, she will make what is important to you important to her. Including motorcycles.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/14/12 9:08 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Get some of these first: Then get the bike.

Whichever he orders, he's getting the blue ones.

akamcfly
akamcfly HalfDork
7/15/12 8:52 a.m.
4eyes wrote: A friend of mine used to say the proper answer to a woman's tirade was ,"SHUT UP BITCH, YOU ONLY MAKE IT WORSE!". I asked if it ever worked. He said at least it ends the suspense.

I've learned there's a time and place for everything. Even this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OUXH8leYjAKsJucYKLeJM1hsZIeMapnOkSse8Wv0qdGk6YWxoyeINGXB7rs3ULlZ