1 2
Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/21/12 11:34 a.m.

Just bought a 71 T250 with a GT250 engine. Needs ignition coil (one cylinder lost spark) and tires. Compression is 136 psi left and 140 psi right. No rust and just minor paint scratches. This is a resto and resell project. Paid just $600.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/21/12 12:42 p.m.

Nice....

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/21/12 1:35 p.m.

I have an ignition coil sitting in the garage for a GT250. I can't remember if it is good but should be. Yours for shipping if you want.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/21/12 9:10 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

sure. I am zip 18058.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/27/12 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Moparman:

OK, got the coils in hooked everything up, but I have no electric. No lights, horn, ignition nothing. Battery has a charge. No key position give me power. I do not see a kill switch anywhere either. Any help would be appreciated.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/27/12 2:53 p.m.

Can you jump a couple wires together before the ignition switch to see if that will give you power? I forget which ones you need to connect.

Also check the fuse on the positive battery lead. It will have a glass fuse in a plastic case that twists apart. When I had electrical problems on one of mine the fuse looked fine but I had no power. I cut it out and soldered in an inline blade fuse holder and it worked fine.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/27/12 3:57 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Forgot about the fuse. Fuse was fine, but the wire from the fuse to the bike was severed. Fixed it and now have spark!!!

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/27/12 4:26 p.m.

Still not running. I have fuel goinbg to carbs. Hmm?

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/27/12 11:46 p.m.

Got it it running on the left cylinder. Right has spark and float bowls are full. bout no dice. Must be a carb problem.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/28/12 1:22 a.m.

At least you are getting somewhere! Unfortunately I'm not much help with carb issues.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/28/12 8:27 p.m.

Goint to take them off, strip them down and soak them for a few days. I will be homebound for the next two days anyway.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/28/12 8:56 p.m.

My headlight is out. I have the headlight without a bucket. Can the bulb be replaced? I have not been able to locate another unit.

EvanB
EvanB PowerDork
10/29/12 12:53 a.m.

I think it takes a sealed beam headlight, you can't replace just the bulb.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/29/12 6:41 a.m.

That is the way it looks to me.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/29/12 3:53 p.m.

Anotther problem is that it needs a right rear turn signal. I cannot find one. I am not against after market lights, but they are are all two wire and my lights are all single wire.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
10/30/12 11:37 a.m.

don't you just ground one of the wires to the frame?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/30/12 12:20 p.m.

You can probably get a correct turn signal from Paul Miller in Connecticut, Suzuki used the same style for many years and on many models. http://www.millersvintage.com/ Paul is the main guy for NOS Suzuki parts in the US. If aftermarket is okay, as mentioned you just need to connect the ground wire to the frame. There's someone on eBay who sells a lot of vintage Suzuki parts from Bangkok or somewhere in the far east who may have NORS turn signals, their stuff is actually not bad and they ship promptly.

Hotlinked because of the awesome fashion:

Moparman
Moparman Dork
10/31/12 4:27 p.m.

He is out and out of the headlight I need too.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
11/1/12 1:58 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I think it takes a sealed beam headlight, you can't replace just the bulb.

Oh really? bulb-swap

About the middle of the page, the bulb swap starts.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
11/1/12 8:03 p.m.

Damn I just orderd a unit from Dime City. If I can replace the bulb, back it goes.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
11/1/12 8:06 p.m.

Having another problem. The bike needed a right turn signal. I installed one from a GT250 (did not quite match, but it worked). I then installed some cheap "cafe racer" lights. They worked and then teh relay stopped flashing. I found that if I move the relay, especially in a verticl position, it will flash with any of the aforementioned lights. As soon as I return it to its horizontal position, it just buzzes. I have never had that happen before. I checked all the wire connections and they seem ok. Maybe a bad wire? I don't know.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
11/2/12 6:16 p.m.

fixed the problem. Now I have loose handlebar moungts that wount snug up. It almost seems likem there are loose rubber bushings around the bolts thet hold the bar clamps to the fork. What does the handlebar damper knob do?

Moparman
Moparman Dork
11/11/12 9:15 a.m.

OK. No aftermarket headlight setup will fit between my narrow forks. Cannot find the appropraite Stanley 61088 D-Shaped headlamp to fit the soct mounting brackest (no bucket on this version of the T250. Paul Miller is out of them. I am open to any and all ideas.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/11/12 11:07 a.m.

Is this a 6 volt or 12 volt system? Is it a separate headlight, or is the speedometer cluster built into the headlight shell? If the speedo is integral to the headlight is it round or square-ish?

I have a couple Stanley 60732 D-shaped 6 volt headlights, and another one made by Koito that's from a Suzuki (it has the S molded into the glass) that is 12 volt and somewhat larger than the first ones - it's also D-shaped but the bottom edge is slightly curved and not straight. Post a photo if you can, and let me know the voltage and approximate dimensions and I'll see if it matches any of my spares.

Suzuki used a bunch of different headlights back then, they all looked similar but were different - 6v or 12v, sealed beam or separate bulb, slightly different sizes and shapes.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
11/11/12 11:38 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

It is a 6 volt. It is not as drastic a D as some 60s Suzukis. I will go out and take a picture and post it. The flat "D part is not quite flat.

It is sealed beak and uses a brack system with a retaining ring that holds the healight to a nackimg plate which attaches to a barket with two screws. The bracket attaches to the fork ears.

Bike Bandit has a good diagram.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eMCoJjaWCKNxJOqXfqCKEzhQJ8mTiEJRPsUNPnlIMC1r3MwRZIzIGdUbWy4qbCY5