Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/14/21 9:26 p.m.

I've been shopping for a new bike. Still a beginner at riding, have some dirt experience and most a season on a CRF250L.

I have a tendency to never let a vehicle go, well past when I've outgrown it. I've only sold 2 vehicles in my life, everything else has been sent to the scrapyard or I still have it, which is a problem. So I'm sort of looking at getting something that I can grow into.

Looking for a bike to commute to work and back. Currently it's a short 10-15 minute ride at 50mph, but will likely grow to a 30-45 minute at 65+mph in 2-3 years.

I want fuel injection and ABS. Something that requires very little maintenance, I have enough car projects. 

I'm 6'2" so fitment on lots of bikes is tight.

I'm a bit of a Honda fanboy.

Insurance rates where I live are pretty nuts, and rates are all over the map for bikes in the same category.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Husqvarna Svartpilen 701, a Moto Guzzi V7 (or V9 bobber with a repaint), or a Honda CB1100. There's also the option of stepping up to a new CRF300L which fixes basically all the little complaints I have about my 250L. I'm planning on keeping the 250L, and SWMBO also likes riding it.

​​​​​​Locally a 2018 CB1100 RS came up for sale and I went to take a look. I feel the owner is asking a fair price, and it ticks pretty much all the boxes. It's quite a rare bike, as the RS trim level was only offered in 2018 and only in Canada (never in the US). I wasn't able to take it for a ride as it wasn't insured. It's due for its first valve adjustment, and should get the rear tire replaced. I am a little cramped on it, especially with the RS bars. Looking around the internet, I think I could make it work with bars/pegs and maybe a seat.

Do I pull the trigger? Wait and try the others, hope it doesn't sell before then? Talk me out of it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/14/21 10:14 p.m.

To me, it looks like it fits you pretty well as is...that's a nice bike, and it looks like a UJM (universal Japanese motorcycle) is supposed to look.  I think it will be more reliable than the Husky or Guzzi, and if needed parts and service should be much more readily available for a Honda.  If I was in the market and the price was right I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it.  

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/14/21 10:51 p.m.

Wrong place to come if you want to be talked out of something.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/14/21 10:53 p.m.

Looks like a heck of a bike. I would grab it.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/14/21 10:54 p.m.

I could not attempt to talk you out of that, and keep a straight face...

That's an awesome bike 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/15/21 5:02 a.m.

You don't look cramped at all in that photo.  Honda seats seem to be kind of bleh so a seat swap gets my thumbs up and perhaps you can get a slightly taller seat.  If your commute or general use of the bike starts to include much 65+ mph time you will probably want to look into a windshield and such.

The CB1100 seems to have slowly transitioned into being the bike it should have been from the beginning.  But I think one of the biggest reasons to not get one is because the Z900rs also exists.  Probably better deals on the CB1100 vs the Z900rs, and I'm biased as I own a Z900rs, but I think the Z is the better bike.  More power, bit more tech, bit cooler look, I think the Z has a bit more range (barely). 

The Husky 701 seems very cool but also really expensive for what you get.  V7 also cool but kind of small and underpowered although I think there's a new version of that bike which brought the power up.  SV650 still looks good from a distance but I have no direct experience with them; most recent versions with trellis frame seem to pick up right where Ducati decided to drop off.  I really think I'd look at an SV650 over either of these bikes.  I do not understand the V9 at all.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/15/21 5:56 a.m.

I really like those bikes. 

Just know that a naked bike gets tiring at 65 mph for a while. 

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/15/21 6:25 a.m.

That bike is a good fit for you. Please don't fall into the 'I need a huge bike' thing that some novice/ill advised riders do. Also plan on taking it easy on the CB for at least a season so. I too would consider a windshield or small cafe style fairing (as others have wisely mentioned). You'll also want to spend some time setting the suspension to match your weight and riding style.

Good luck and ride safe.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/15/21 7:41 a.m.

Thanks for the replies! It helps to write down my thoughts.

The above photo is a little receiving as my foot is sitting way up on the peg. Downshifting makes a pretty tight angle. It's possible there's a bunch of adjustment in the shifter that would help, I didn't notice. A small screen is definitely something in looking into, Dart makes one and there are a couple bikini fairings out of Japan.

Z900 I'd totally be interested in, but the insurance is way more expensive where I live. SV650 as well. Insurance here basically goes in tiers based on displacement and perceived "sportiness" from what I can tell. It doesn't make sense at all - for example a Svartpilen 701 is 50% cheaper to insure than a Vitpilen 701 despite being pretty much the same bike. That's the just the rules I have to play within. Government run public insurance company.

The huskys price has been dropping over the years - one of the dealers has a brand new 2019 701 advertised for less than this CB. I like the spokes wheels on the 2020s better though.

The Guzzis are just cool. The V7 is a little small, the V9 is a bit better fit based on cycle-ergo. I've seen V9s with V7 tanks online, seems like the best of both worlds. Cycle-ergo does list the Guzzis as having the best fit for me vs a CB. The more relaxed power is probably a good thing for me.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/15/21 7:54 a.m.

I have been looking at the CB110 for a while and hope to swap my touring rig for one soon. Thanks for alerting me that there is a hotter version, may be looking to upgrade to that suspension someday! There are arguments for and against it all day long, like any bike. If it fits your needs and you connect with it, then I'd say go for it.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/16/21 1:08 a.m.
FMB42 said:

That bike is a good fit for you. Please don't fall into the 'I need a huge bike' thing that some novice/ill advised riders do. Also plan on taking it easy on the CB for at least a season so. I too would consider a windshield or small cafe style fairing (as others have wisely mentioned). You'll also want to spend some time setting the suspension to match your weight and riding style.

Good luck and ride safe.

I may be missing something, but the 1100 he is looking at is one of the "I need a huge bike" sizes... He is also tall enough to not fit on the smaller stuff too well.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/16/21 1:46 p.m.

It sounded to me that the OP wasn't sure that the CB1100 was big enough for him. I, and others, think that it fits him just fine.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
3/21/21 9:50 a.m.

I made it mine yesterday

Still haven't ridden it properly since safety inspections are all booked up into the 2nd week of April around here and the longest temp permit I can get is 15 days. So I have to contend with just looking at it for the next 3 days. Which is still pretty satisfying to do...

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/21/21 9:56 a.m.

Looks like riding weather is upon you.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
3/21/21 9:57 a.m.

Cool deal!  Hope it's a good bike for you.

demnted
demnted New Reader
3/21/21 10:57 a.m.

Should be years of useful FUN! Just remember that noone sees you and ride with several "escape" options cued up in your mind. Also most bikes handle best with some throttle opening as opposed to braking while trying to throw them into a corner that is tighter than you thought. The spines on the shift lever should allow you to raise the angle on it to help you with excessive ankle downwardness but will usually cause you to have to raise the lever even further to upshift. Be smooth with clutch and throttle, shift early for a little while and always respect the mount you are riding.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
3/21/21 11:06 a.m.

Congratulations to you!  I really like that bike and was looking at the EX version with wire wheels before I bought my Ducati.  

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 8:09 a.m.

Cant wait to hear your impressions of it!

drobc
drobc
5/6/21 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away : That's a nice bike, please let me know if you plan on selling it. I can't seem to find an RS locally. Thanks!

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
5/6/21 3:51 p.m.

Yeah, there's no way I could have talked you out of it. There's a 2014 near me that has been waving it's for sale sign at me every time I go by it.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
5/7/21 12:47 a.m.

I am absolutely loving the bike. I don't have much to compare against, but it's so smooth. Power everywhere, suspension that is firm but never harsh, light clutch with smooth engagement and that slipper clutch that makes you nail downshifts without upsetting the bike at all, progressive brakes that always feel like they have more to give if needed. I'm so happy I bought it, which is good because I was a little unsure at first.

I've done an oil change, and replaced both tires. It's due for it's first valve clearance check, I haven't done that yet. Just ordered some nice adjustable footpegs out of Japan, still waffling on what to do about the seat. I'm sitting on a 1" chunk of a kneeling pad for now. 

Some pics:

And my riding buddies.

SWMBO has claimed the CRF250L, and my buddy just bought a 2021 Svartpilen 401 in response to my CB. Slick little bike, he's just about done break-in.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
5/7/21 2:53 p.m.

Yeah, I'm jelly. 

The Svartpilen is on my radar, but that CB.... it tickles all the right places

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/7/21 3:05 p.m.

Wonder if you could take the cover off of the seat, cut that 1" kneeler foam up and place it between the stock foam and the seat pan, and then get the seat cover back onto the pan.  Might be a bit more soft than you really want though.  It seems list most Honda motorcycles don't come with very good seats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6bBG1m1vr91EVneCNt1VpCpXFW8ILCBUejb7znkMDDJn8xwMHJcTZfop9TsPc6Yq