markwemple UberDork
5/4/18 7:06 p.m.

Where do you buy MEK?

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 7:23 p.m.
markwemple said:

Where do you buy MEK?

Personally, my local ACE usually has it. Work gets it through AVIALL i think. 

No Time
No Time Dork
5/4/18 7:23 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Lowes and Home Depot used to have it, but I haven’t checked recently  

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 7:32 p.m.

Crappy old locked up pump

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 7:34 p.m.

Even if the pump worked i dont think flow would have been to great through this tube. Dont think it was designed to sit in bad gas for 18 years. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
5/4/18 7:37 p.m.

Call CA Cycleworks. Chris is cool and always there to help. I think the pump is a standard part that may also be available locally, some Ford part, or something.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/4/18 7:45 p.m.
markwemple said:

Call CA Cycleworks. Chris is cool and always there to help. I think the pump is a standard part that may also be available locally, some Ford part, or something.

Bought one on amazon for not too bad. Ducati wants $300 an oem one. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/8/18 10:31 a.m.

New pump arrived today. It even came with a rubber isolator and fuel tubing, which was a nice surprise.  Now i just have to get an inline filter and clean out the tank. 

WilD
WilD Dork
5/11/18 3:04 p.m.

I was unaware of this specific model, but it's amazing to me how many Ducati models are "the one" nobody likes or wants.  Most of them are pretty cool bikes to everyone else...

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
5/11/18 3:57 p.m.

Ducati purists are fickle I guess.  I couldn't believe it when the ducati salesmen said "thats not a real ducati".  Considering the frame and styling is essentially the same as the beloved 750 F1, and the engine is the same design still being used for air cooled ducatis today.  Very few people know this model even existed, the fact that only 1300 were made, and only 400 were imported to the US might have something to do with that.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
5/11/18 7:38 p.m.

There are a few Ducatis that nobody wants.

I have two and a half 860GTs

They're usually considered parts donors for the more sporty models but I like them just fine. They're a bevel drive that doesn't cost over 10k for a wreck.

They're non-desmo engines so no maintenance headaches and they're not as highly tuned so they're generally as reliable as gravity.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/14/18 2:13 p.m.
markwemple said:

Where do you buy MEK?

Paint shop or Ace Hardware should have it.

I've also found that some acetone-free nail polish removers are basically scented MEK.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
5/15/18 8:46 a.m.

MEK works great for removing goo.  If you can find a old dryer add a cup of external lock washers (Star washers) wrap tank in a blanket and toss in the dryer with NO HEAT and let it slosh around with the washers inside.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/25/18 9:56 a.m.

Long awaited update:  I was able to clean up the tank quite well with the MEK.  There really wasn't any rust under the goo in the tank so that was a relief.  I installed the new pump, and after sourcing a new battery, I reinstalled the tank.  Somewhere along the way I decided to modify the intake setup.  The previous owner just had pod filters directly on the carbs.  Problem with that is that at low- mid RPM and low throttle the carbs actually spit some fuel-air mixture out the front of the carb before re-ingesting it.  Adding some intake piping ensures all of this mixture is captured.  

As the picture shows I added 2 silicone elbows and short pieces of ally tube.  The side benefit to this is that it will draw air from up under the tank.  This should be cleaner (further away from the front tire, bugs, dust etc.) and cooler air.  The one filter is kinda crunched because it was too long to easily fit in the prior arrangement. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/25/18 10:13 a.m.

Update 2:  Both of my handlebar switches were busted.  The only thing wrong with the Left side was that for some reason it was taken apart and the blinker toggle was missing (I assume broken in the wreck).  The rest of the assembly was actually in pretty nice shape.  I ended up buying this ratty looking switch set just to steal the blinker toggle out of it.

And here is the original assembly re-installed with the "new" blinker toggle.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/25/18 10:16 a.m.

I also sourced a used/ good condition kill switch assembly as mine had the kill switch it self busted off. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/25/18 12:52 p.m.

Once I got all that sorted, I installed 2 new rear blinkers, filled the tank with some premium and cranked her over.  To my surprise it started right up surprise.  After warming up it settles nicely into a slow idle at about 800-900 RPM.  It seems hard to believe that it just runs like that after sitting for 18 years.   I was able to drive it around the yard and down the family farm road, everything seems to function as it should.  I still need to tidy up some items, change the oil, change the brake fluid, change the timing belts, and install some front blinkers.  Oh and get a new set of tires.  Hopefully she will be on the road soon.  

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/15/18 6:36 a.m.

Update, for all the fans that are watching :D I changed the oil, and took her for a ride. Rode 25 miles with no problems, still on the old tires. The bike ran great!!! Makes pretty good power. It seems to like the long intake runners in the mid range. Once I got it back I decided to install the new timing belts I purchased. After I got everything back together I tried to start it and it sounds HORRIBLE. Some disassembly revealed I bent a valve. Im sad, I broke my favorite toy. Im not sure what went wrong. I double, triple, guadruple checked the timing before I attempted a start it.  How hard can it be, you line up the timing marks on the pulleys with the marks on the case/heads.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/15/18 9:00 a.m.

Dude, that sucks!  Sorry to have such a setback.  What are you going to do?

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/15/18 9:13 a.m.

I have already ordered a new valve (NOS).  While inspecting the head I found it also cracked the end of the guide.  So now I need to source a new guide and have the seat ground etc.  If I could find a set of replacement heads that would be easier.  It seems from some comments on the Ducati forum that it is possible my timing marks aren't accurate.  I guess it can be messed up during a previous maintenance check?  All I know is I am going to take extra precautions once I get this thing all back together.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/15/18 6:32 p.m.

I have found a high comp engine so I may be selling mine. I have the big valve 900ss heads.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/15/18 6:41 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Are they the same size combustion chamber as the 750?

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/15/18 6:42 p.m.

Unsure. I can ask on the 900ss site.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
6/15/18 6:52 p.m.

Do you still have the factory weber?

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
6/15/18 7:01 p.m.

No unfortunately, the bike came with very few spares. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U2bRHH8vXixwbYWAv4i2MWpPovnQ1xGua1EuplmQKvpoPAqMvXjztuQ14zMao28S