1 2
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/16/20 8:18 a.m.

About the only thing worth a damn on the parts bike pulled up and in the middle of cleaning up. The parts bike has had none of the parts I needed sadly  

12/19/20 9:32 p.m.

Busy busy days yesterday and today. 

Got the rack painted. 

Replaced the burnt out tail light bulb with a strobing led unit. 

Took the nicer tail light lens/seal off parts bike 

Started at the front and worked my way backwards on the wiring. Here are some highlights. 

Headlight wires where soldered directly to it (got an led unit on the way) 

Turn signal wiring was speaker wire 

If it wasn't twist and taped or superglued wire there was non heat shrink wire connector almost touching end to end. Cut them all out, rewired some stuff and cut the amount of splices in half. 

At this point all the lights work down to the instrument cluster. 

Moving back the battery was setting on the control arm here. 

Pulled the battery box off the parts bike to realize the tabs for it where cut off this frame, I tossed on a couple zip ties till I have time to make some or take them off other bike, it's plenty sturdy for a test ride later.... 

Pulled the switches off the bar since they where hardly moving or making contact. Ran them through the ultra Sonic cleaner then hit them with wd-40. They work good as new now. 

Current waiting on a carb kit, air box to test ride around block, and waiting on headlight, vaccume line, front brake master to auctally take it anywhere. 

Need to order a couple tires also, both have sticker residue on them and both are old as dirt. Once it runs decent I'll turn the rear tire into smoke. 

Need to take a look at tire options, any suggestions anyone? 

12/24/20 4:49 p.m.

Gotten lots done on this. 

Airbox came in via USPS and got absolutely destroyed, had to use 2 whole tubes on jb weld to get it together. Got everything together and fired up and rode around the block once and it's decent. Waiting on a clutch lever assembly, brake master and a headlight to be road ready. But just going around the block it's not to bad. 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/25/20 10:36 a.m.

Lose that hideous seat!  I rebuilt the 750 version of that bike.  The nice thing about the 750 is that the frame is identical to the GS1100 so you can swap a bunch of better stuff like the aluminum swingarm.  IIRC the 550 is on a smaller frame so I don't think frame/swingarm swap from the 750/1100.

Do a vintage superbike version.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/25/20 10:54 a.m.

I've used Sargent Cycle about 6 times, excellent work!  Last one was on the R-90, but for the Naked Wing I sent them the pan and a drawing - came out very nice.

12/25/20 3:22 p.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:

Lose that hideous seat!  I rebuilt the 750 version of that bike.  The nice thing about the 750 is that the frame is identical to the GS1100 so you can swap a bunch of better stuff like the aluminum swingarm.  IIRC the 550 is on a smaller frame so I don't think frame/swingarm swap from the 750/1100.

Do a vintage superbike version.

That's hot hot hot. 

12/25/20 3:23 p.m.
914Driver said:

I've used Sargent Cycle about 6 times, excellent work!  Last one was on the R-90, but for the Naked Wing I sent them the pan and a drawing - came out very nice.

I have looked into them, need to get it running decent/safe first. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/26/20 10:24 a.m.

Professor, you said above:  "Got the rack painted".  The luggage rack I assume, how?  Just skuff it and shoot it or media blast, other?  I have a similar problem with the '75 Wing.  PO ran through the JCWhitney Chrome Catalog so now the rack, grab bar and valve covers are rusty-pitted.  I don't have a blast cabinet.

Dan

12/26/20 4:14 p.m.
914Driver said:

Professor, you said above:  "Got the rack painted".  The luggage rack I assume, how?  Just skuff it and shoot it or media blast, other?  I have a similar problem with the '75 Wing.  PO ran through the JCWhitney Chrome Catalog so now the rack, grab bar and valve covers are rusty-pitted.  I don't have a blast cabinet.

Dan

Ran it though the blast cabnet at work, hit it with some enamel paint and called it good enough. 

12/30/20 5:27 p.m.

LED headlight in, front brake master in and front brake working. 

1/3/21 7:15 p.m.

Little over 60 miles on it this weekend. Ol girl runs like a top  

1/19/21 7:14 p.m.

Someone take this bad boy home. Got it posted for $1000 but I'd let it go for any reasonable offer. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
1/21/21 1:59 a.m.

Is there anything you'd consider in trade?  Something smaller obviously since you're trying to make room right?

1/21/21 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I'm always game for trades. 740-274-5492. 

1/30/21 7:43 p.m.

Went to it's new home in Michigan.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q5YBtuhdeGQ4S90ypGWflDmrmP3FFwRfDKcjU5CFhB2eucSjsDZ451hLvegzIq7E