1 2
FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:31 p.m.

About 2 months ago I started working out seriously--my weight was higher than it should be.  Type II diabetes runs in my family and I was showing symptoms.  My workout of choice was getting one of my bikes down from the garage rafters and plop it on an old magnetic trainer that I have.  The pounds have shed nicely--I'm down over 30 pounds since Thanksgiving and I feel better.  

As I became reacquainted with my bikes (a 92 Cannondale  2.8 and a 1993 Trek 930 Singletrack), the idea of building a FG/SS bike out of a 70's era frame began eating at me.  As I was looking for a suitable frame/bike (around Christmas) I stumbled upon a deal on Amazon.  I could not pass it up.  I got a 2018 Raleigh Back Alley ($399 MSRP) in my size, shipped, for about $80.  I did a few alterations--grips and bar ends to it.  It's cool to look at and built like a Centurian Tank. But I still wanted to make something out of an old bike...so the looking for a frame continued.

I came across a 25" Takara frame/fork.  The price was right and the size was right to fit my 36" inseem.  I brought it home.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:33 p.m.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:36 p.m.

I began stripping the frame using a razor blade.  It took a few hours, but was not bad at all.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:36 p.m.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:37 p.m.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:39 p.m.

The frame then got sanded, and some chemical stripper was used around the lugs and bottom bracket. 

In GRM fashion, this is a "budget build".  That means paint by me.  No bodyshop.  No powdercoater.  Rustoleum had the colors I wanted and the price was right.  So off to primer the frame went.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:42 p.m.

Prep is the key to a good paintjob--even with rattlecans.  So the frame got wetsanded, primed, wetsanded and set for the first coat of color.  Which also got wetsanded...

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:43 p.m.

...and eventually, it came out like this.  The scratched Red gave way to Rustoleum Spa Blue.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:45 p.m.

And then the rest of the livery was applied...

Real Orange.

And then Gloss White

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:46 p.m.

From here you can probably smell what I got cookin'.  Going for a Gulf Racing livery.

Here is the fork--painted and cleared.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/28/18 7:51 p.m.

Carryon - what are your plans for modern shiftgear?  This cost has kept me from a much needed resto of my first gen Cannondale...

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/28/18 7:53 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

The Takara will be FG/SS.  I will likely ride it single-speed.  FG kind of scares me...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/28/18 8:27 p.m.

Ah crap. Now I want to paint my bicycle. Maybe I could go John player special...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/29/18 1:20 a.m.

Lookin' sharp! yes 

With those dropouts I would recommend sticking to single speed, fixed gear braking could snatch the rear wheel forward and that would be bad.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/29/18 4:38 a.m.

Looks great!

I'd recommend a flip-flop rear hub so you can change your mind if FG isn't for you. I found it fun and novel, but riding one can be hard on your knees.  Clipless pedals or strong toe clips are a necessity. Pretty much impossible to ride (re: brake) with flat pedals.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/29/18 5:14 a.m.

In reply to FSP_ZX2 :

Very cool!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/29/18 6:57 a.m.

Thoughts on what you are doing for running gear?  I've been considering a resto mod on my first gen cannondale.  There are some really nice upgrades I think you can do without too many modifications.  I've been considering picking up a second bike just to steal the running gear, hubs, etc.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/29/18 7:51 a.m.
84FSP said:

Thoughts on what you are doing for running gear?  I've been considering a resto mod on my first gen cannondale.  There are some really nice upgrades I think you can do without too many modifications.  I've been considering picking up a second bike just to steal the running gear, hubs, etc.

The Takara is going to be an eBay/Amazon/bike-shop-parts-bin special.  It's a nearly valueless frame collector wise--I just wanted a project tolearn on.  I have everything waiting to go once the paint is done and will post as it goes together.

As for the Cannondale--I have one of those too.  1992 2.8 Frameset with S105 hardware and Mavic wheels...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
1/29/18 7:47 p.m.

FG/SS = fixed gear single speed?

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/29/18 9:44 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

FG/SS = fixed gear single speed?

FG=Fixed Gear.  SS=Single Speed.  Most rear hubs are "flip flop" style, meaning they have a fixed cog on one side and a freewheel cog on the other, meaning the bike can be set up to preference.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/30/18 7:46 a.m.

The black around the headtube lugs and on the chainstays was added.  The color work is done.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/30/18 9:39 a.m.

Those tiny black accents really add a lot, especially on the chainstays.  Any reason you didn't do the same on the seat tube?  You could Cut some narrow strips of electrical tape and use them as a trial.  I think that might look sweet.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/30/18 10:02 a.m.

Very nice on the paint.  I really dig the Gulf livery tribute.  

Any chance you can save that lovely period crankset from the first couple of pics?   

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/30/18 10:07 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Those tiny black accents really add a lot, especially on the chainstays.  Any reason you didn't do the same on the seat tube?  You could Cut some narrow strips of electrical tape and use them as a trial.  I think that might look sweet.

The original intent was to paint the "tips" of the seat stays black (they taper to nearly a point)--but I really like how they look as-is.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
1/30/18 10:12 a.m.
SEADave said:

Very nice on the paint.  I really dig the Gulf livery tribute.  

Any chance you can save that lovely period crankset from the first couple of pics?   

I did.  I agree--it looks cool!   However, I'm not planning on using it.  It was just the outer ring...and I bought a nice looking purpose-built single ring set with a smaller ring (for the gearing). 

I appreciate the compliment.  Thank you!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3x4vSkvFSX43QVNuKRXA5azQIKrGe62GKSu03N6aRvRAU06n998b7y539mThYOm1