1 2
Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
1/11/20 2:22 p.m.
clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
1/11/20 5:22 p.m.
former520 said:

Some great recommendations above.  Love the Connie; have seen, but not tried the Busa; VStrom is a solid choice.  Another one not on the list but great - Triumph Tiger 1050.  Tons of torque, factory heater grips, removable bags and under the radar to pick up for a great deal.  Last on I had did PHX to Alaska up the coast and down the rockies 2 up most of the way with no issues.  Sold with ~40k miles for $3200 6 or so years ago.  No ABS unless you go newer and higher $$$

Can confirm. The Tiger 1050 is a great middle weight sport tourer. The 3 cylinder is very smooth and has torque everywhere. Mine is for sale.

bgkast
bgkast PowerDork
1/11/20 6:21 p.m.

I third the tiger 1050. My buddy has one, and a matching one for his wife.  It goes, I can't keep up with him on my Speed Triple!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/11/20 8:34 p.m.

I absolutely loved my k1200s.  I put around 50k miles on it,  then traded it in on a new k1300s.  I had a corban seat, exhaust, tune, slightly larger windshield,  and a quick opening throttle and it was just a fantastic bike.

minimac
minimac UltraDork
1/13/20 9:11 a.m.

For two up touring, the Goldwing is the gold standard. You'll be surprised how well they handle for their size. But given the models you've been looking at(and the $$), my choices would be the ST1100, St1300, or the Yamaha 1300. BMWs are nice but a boring ride, and you are in for big dollar repairs if the splines haven't been religiously maintained on the shaft models. The Ducatis are tough to find in that price range, and aren't really comfortable for the passenger. The Hondas and Yamahas have plenty of power and handle well if you're in it for the twisties, but if you're looking for two up touring( and carrying a lot of 'stuff') the big Japanese dressers-Calvalcade, Goldwing, Voyager, or Venture will fit the bill, dependable as a rock, comfortable as a Lazy Boy, can handle decently, and are all available at a price that look ridiculously cheap.

racr28
racr28 New Reader
2/5/20 2:38 a.m.

I would recommend an Aprilia RST 1000 Futura. Best motorcycle seat I have ever sat on.  Comfortable on the highway and fun in the curves. I have found it to be reliable and easy to work on. Plus they are at the bottom of the depreciation curve.  

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
2/14/20 1:37 p.m.

Tom-did you ever buy a bike?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/14/20 2:10 p.m.

Heh... about that.

After some careful thought, I decided that I'd rather pay the slight price premium in the summer than deal with finding/storing a bike right now with everything else going on. I'll restart the shopping in a few more months, but have basically decided on the FJR after sitting on one. 

My wife and I did buy a 1985 Buick Riviera that we're putting a set of 32s on and taking off road, but that's a post for a different thread. laugh

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
2/14/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Might be a stupid idea, but what about renting if its just once a year?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/14/20 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Thought about it, but week-long rentals were all at least $500 for anything decent and that pays for insurance/maintenance for a year 2-3x over. 

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
pPC5Cq3du3yoqKFdlDo0xFmrdkPkkAp2iLG5GhOWh3Hd4CQpH3REltwzjvfXZWbT