1 2
sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
3/14/14 12:15 a.m.

I'm thinking about doing some upgrades to my old CR-V and making her into a nice(er) little camping buggy. Newer CR-V/Honda/Acura wheels from Craigslist along with some A/T's would be an obvious improvement. What tires do you guys like? This would be a basic A/T, nothing too crazy, and probably only in a 215/65-16 size, or something in that range. Are there any no name brands that you guys have found to be pretty good? Or do I stick with the big names?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
3/14/14 6:25 a.m.

I recently got some Cooper Discoverer AT/3s and have been very happy with them so far.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
3/14/14 8:52 a.m.

I've been tempted on the Generals.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/14/14 12:05 p.m.

Sport Kings, I've had 2 sets on my Jeep. Not many places sell them online, but just about every local tire shop in the South seems to carry them. I had a set of 31x10.50 15 Sport Kings, and when I wore them bald I replaced them and the factory wheels with some Craig's List 32x11.50 15 Sport Kings. The 32x11.50s came on the wheels, and when I looked up their price I kind of changed my mind about getting them again, I guess the odd size makes them more expensive.

Sport KIng:

I think if I didn't get Sport Kings, I'd strongly consider the Kumho Road Venture AT, or General Grabber AT2. The Kumho price and tread design is very appealing to me for a mostly highway, occasional dirt road/pasture tire, it's got a pretty good snow rating on Tire Rack too.

Kumho Road Venture AT:

General Grabber AT2:

BFG All Terrains would make my list if they weren't so expensive, the General Grabbers, are about the top of my budget. I think dollars/performance I'll go with the Kumho.

• Lee
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/14/14 12:12 p.m.

I like the Kumho as well.

The Yoko Geolandars on the Cherokee right now are not my favorite thing in the world.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
3/14/14 1:14 p.m.

Didn't Walmart have a tire called the Wilderness A/T? I had those on an Explorer and they did great on road and on the sand in the outer banks of NC. Maybe it was the Grabber series I'm thinking of.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/14/14 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Xceler8x:

There was a Firestone Wilderness AT, it was the OE tire on the Fords that all go recalled?

Similar to the Sport King there is/was a tire called Trailblazer in both M/T and A/T that was about as popular as the Sport King at the generic local tire shops. Finding a good picture of the Trailblazer is being hindered by Chevy's SUV of the same name. Looked very similar if not identical tread pattern to the Sport King.

• Lee
singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
3/14/14 3:30 p.m.

Hit up treadwright.com

They are retreaded tires but I have had a set with good luck.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
3/15/14 11:22 p.m.

The Kenda Klever is a good cheap all terrain tire. My dad has them on his tahoe they work very well.

Also, the Adventuro a/t or m/t is a good cheap tire. I have had them on a 4runner and they worked well.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
3/18/14 9:41 a.m.

I've been real happy with my General Grabber AT2s.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
3/18/14 9:55 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I've been real happy with my General Grabber AT2s.

Same here. They come in 265/70R17 @ Tirerack for $668 for 4. They give my 7000lb diesel pretty good surefootedness in snow, mud, etc given that it has way too much torque down low in the revs for it ever to be great in that sort of terrain. They are also a 10 ply E load rated tire so I can pull a 10k lb race car trailer without them e'sploding.

The last time around I bought something else because "cheap" and will be going back next time.

edizzle89
edizzle89 New Reader
3/18/14 11:18 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Hit up treadwright.com They are retreaded tires but I have had a set with good luck.

+1 for treadwright, ive looked at a lot of review and people are really happy with them. thats what ill be getting for my truck this summer

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
3/18/14 3:48 p.m.

I've been looking for a set of cheapish 31's for the Land Cruiser. Eventually, I will bow down and buy some Revo's, but for now...I'll settle for 'hold air and hang on'.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
3/18/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to JFX001:

Bridgestones? The Revo may be better than the old Dueler, but my Jeep came with Duelers when I got it, I don't remember them being called Revo, though the tread pattern looks the same, and I hated them. Slicked over with mud at even the thought of getting off the pavement, wouldn't clean out, and were weak/puncture prone. I replaced an entire set 1 at a time before the final blow out, when I said screw it, and I got the Sportkings I mentioned earlier. I hated my Bridgestones so much that I always un-check their box when shopping on Tire Rack and it's been 10 years or more since I had them. I guess I hold a grudge.

Those Sportkings got a puncture or two plugged before I replaced the first set, but never in a catastrophic manner, like the Bridgestones, and the Sportkings handled the off pavement duty so much better.

ETA: When I got the Sportkings I was going to keep the newest Dueler as the spare, tire guy brought it to me and the thing was starting to delaminate from the inside, less than a year old, and 95% pavement.

YMMV

• Lee
Fobroader
Fobroader New Reader
3/18/14 4:35 p.m.

Ive got Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on my 06 GMC 2500HD and the 07 Jeep Wrangler. Easily one of the the best A/T, actually being all terrains not like most of the crap all seasons branded as all terrains out there, tire Ive ever had. They are good on snow, ice, mud, gravel, pavement, take heavy loads well, dont squirm on pavement, handle puddles well....about the only thing wrong is they are louder than the craptastic Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's that came on my GMC originally. I would highly recommend these to any truck, suv or Jeep owner as a great all around tire. Ive tried the Revos, Michelin LTX M/S and Bridgestone Dueler H/T.....wouldnt even think about recommending those even to someone I dont even like.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
3/18/14 4:38 p.m.

Yeah, they are Bridgestone's. The Revo's are rated pretty high, or were the last time that I checked. The Cruiser doesn't see much off road, and I should drive it more than I do. But, I was just checking the treadwright sight...and for my purposes, their tires might perform just as well.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
7/3/14 9:25 a.m.

Bringing this back up. We recently picked up a new to us XJ, it's getting a modest lift, and 265/75R16

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the Kumho Road Venture AT, would probably be my pick for a decent budget minded, AT tire, but then I got to reading about the Cooper Discoverer A/T3, they've been out since '11, have been consumer reports (yeah, yeah, I know) #1 light truck AT tire since then, and are only about $20/tire more than the Kumho. The Kumho tied with a boat load of other brands for 2nd.

I've read some threads on other random forums while google searching for reviews, a lot of the Toyota folks seem to like them a lot. The 55K mile tread life (subjective I know) warranty is pretty awesome for an AT tire, no more than the XJ will be driven, they would likely need to be replaced due to age vs. actually wearing them out.

Anyone run the Discoverer A/T3 on anything yet?

• Lee
PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
7/3/14 7:03 p.m.

I'm running 265/75R16 Discoverer A/T3 on my Comanche and like them so far. Decent grip in the rain compared to a few other AT tires I’ve run.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
7/3/14 8:33 p.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

How long have you had them? What made you pick the Coopers vs. others? Tell me about the lift on your MJ. Looks sharp, I've told SWMBO when we get some property, I'm going to have a little MJ as my fishing truck.

• Lee
stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
7/4/14 9:37 a.m.

My dad has been running General Grabber AT2s on his 2000 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 for quite a while now. They handle pretty well and have good treadwear on his diesel redneck limo. They handle the weight of the truck and the 18k lb fifthwheel. The PO of his truck had load range D tires on it but my dad replaced them with Es.

I'll give another shout out for Goodyear Duratracs. I had the base P225/75R16 pizza cutter Wrangler STs. Those were horrible. Why would Jeep put highway all season tires on an iconic 4x4? Because they are cheap. Poor wet traction, nonexistant dirt/mud traction and they were noisy. I bought 33x12.50x15 Duratracs and I couldn't be happier. They absolutely rock on wet roads and dirt/mud/sand. They ride better and wear better too. They are slightly noisier than the horrible Wrangler STs but hey, its a soft top Wrangler. I didn't buy it for its creature comforts. I only wish I could get Duratracs in 35s (which I should have bought in the first place).

I went from this:

To this:

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/7/14 7:22 a.m.

+1 on treadwright my family uses them and have had great luck

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
7/10/14 4:51 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

I’ve had them on since early spring so I don’t really have a long term review. I’m interested so see how they do in the snow. Reason I got them is a friend of mine has had them on his truck for 2 years and likes them. That plus around xmas discount tire had $75 off a set of 4 tires, $30 rebate if I used my care on card, plus an $80 cooper mail in rebate. I got the set for $375 shipped.

MJ has a 4.5” lift up front and a spring over conversion in the back with a 8.25 axle. Still need to install a front drive shaft and 4x4 shifter linkage. I’ve always wanted an MJ and this was the most soild one I could find in New England. Just wish there were less electrical issues and the interior wasn’t trashed.

gohero
gohero New Reader
7/13/14 7:41 p.m.

BFG All Terrains would be my fav mud and off road tires.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
7/15/14 6:55 p.m.

I put Grabber AT2 on my Subaru and love them. I will buy them again next time I need truck tires.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
7/18/14 10:26 a.m.

Well, the old CR-V is gone, and we replaced it with an '03 CR-V. I would like to upgrade the all season 205/70-15's to a 225/70-15 once they wear out, and that gives me more tire options. Instead of just Yoko Geolander AT-S, there are the Cooper A/T3, the General Grabber AT2, the Yokos, and some other Goodyears (not Duratracs). I think I'll do one of these eventually, plus some OME springs and Bilsteins in the back (these CR-V's sag in the back, especially when loaded down). It's nice to hear that all of these tires seem to be well liked! That Comanche and the Subaru are awesome guys!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nyvvOlifVJhfT4KItg1L4Ly30Rs7Rud4ouJwP0ver8ZiLgps7A0iagkDTndLgOf2