1 2 3 4
bamalama
bamalama Reader
11/10/09 3:05 p.m.

82 Chevette 4 door

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer Dork
11/10/09 3:11 p.m.

1st Gen MR2, the Supercharged model, shouldnt have sold it...

JetMech
JetMech Reader
11/10/09 3:13 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: That car caused me to swear off automatic transmissions and GM products forever.

I did the former a long while ago, and am working on the latter.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
11/10/09 3:36 p.m.

My first car was a '63 Belair, a lot like this one:

230 CID inline six, one one-barrel carburetor, two-speed Powerglide. Seats for six, trunk for four. No AC, no seatbelts (added later), no power.

I loved it.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
11/10/09 3:49 p.m.

A $500 Oldsmobile-gold '92 Nissan 240SX coupe. In retrospect, I paid $500 too much for it.

The odo had stopped at 225K; the head gasket and a piston ring had blown; one of the spark plugs had seized in place; it overheated if I drove it for more than 30min.; the rocker panels were rotting out; it smoked like a five-alarm fire; it stalled if I stopped on an incline; the head-up display speedometer, odometers, and instrument cluster lights didn't work; the seats were nasty; and it was an autotragic. Somehow, the S13 survived a year of me driving it, including a slide into a ditch on a rainy day and a couple of spin-outs when I first started driving it in the winter.

I miss that car...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/10/09 3:57 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: My first car was a '63 Belair, a lot like this one: 230 CID inline six, one one-barrel carburetor, two-speed Powerglide. Seats for six, trunk for four. No AC, no seatbelts (added later), no power. I loved it.

Sounds a lot like my dads first car. His was a 1963 4 door post sedan. He inherited it from his grandparents in 1969 with less than 3000 miles on it. It had... a heater.

It made its way around the family, by the end of it, it had Drake, Whitewater, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ball State stickers on it. It was the car that was driven whenever you wrecked your previous one.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
11/10/09 4:31 p.m.

The first car I ever purchased was a 65 Mustang coupe (it was already old). I had already been driving for a while and I don't remember what I drove first.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
11/10/09 4:42 p.m.

1975 Olds 98 Regency 2 door, with a 455 V8

Sold it to an acquaintance before I left for basic training.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
11/10/09 4:49 p.m.

1980 Datsun 310GX - Bought new and drove to 135,000 miles. Replaced by 1985 Nissan 200SX. That 1.4 liter engine was dog tired at that point.

My dad and sister drove it around town for 2 more years and it was given back to me to sell for him. I then sold it to a young guy for $400.00 as he was a huge Datsun 310 fan (????).

EvanB
EvanB HalfDork
11/10/09 6:15 p.m.

My first car was a 92 Corolla. I loved it, got 43mpg on the highway. A little less than a year later I got my Miata.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz New Reader
11/10/09 6:54 p.m.

First car was a fiberglass bodied 1/4 Midget. First street car was 68 Camaro. Camaro was stolen eventually.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/10/09 7:16 p.m.

1959 Rambler American. Just like the one Goober put together in Andy's office.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
11/10/09 7:28 p.m.

1992 Mustang GT Convertible. It was my dad's in June of 1992 until I turned 16 in 2001. Manual transmission, white leather, beautiful green paint up top and silver for the bottom. She had a pretty white top to match the leather too. I miss that car. I put headers and exhaust on it, but that was it. No serious modifications. I even got mad when I had to take out the original radio (with tape deck) because it went bad.

I sold it to a friend who beat the E36 M3 out of it. He then sold it to someone around town. I want to buy it back so bad.

She looked just like this, but a little cleaner.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
11/10/09 7:43 p.m.

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle. 307ci V8, automatic, 4-wheel drum brakes. I'd been a road racing/import fan since before I could drive, but my dad insisted I own US-built cars. My aunt took pity on me, and gave it to me for free when she bought her first Honda in the late 70s.

First car I ever bought was a 69 Triumph GT-6 (can't recall what year it was), the year after my aunt gave me the Chevelle (about 1979?). I hid it at my friends' houses, and on occasion the parking lot at my high school. I'd drive the Chevelle to wherever I had the Triumph parked, drive around all day in it, and get back in the Chevelle to go home.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
11/10/09 8:07 p.m.

'65 Sunbeam Alpine..... (in '69) traded for a '64 E-Type both were POS's but my goodness I wish I had either/both back...

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/10/09 8:21 p.m.

1980 AMC Spirit with the Iron Duke. It had no head liner. PO had installed an aftermarket sunroof and hid dog shredded the headliner. I put that car into a ditch down a hill backwards at about 40, and hit a tree only thing it did to the car was leave some sap on the bumper. First winter I was in college, it didn't get driven any and I came home for spring break to a cracked head.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
11/10/09 8:32 p.m.

First car I bought for myself. Alfa Romeo Gulia

81gtv6
81gtv6 Reader
11/12/09 10:34 a.m.

My first car was a 64 Spitfire that I got in 89. My dad and I went to Reno, picked it up and drove it back home about an hour away. From there it went into my future FIL's garage for the next two weeks while I learned how to work on cars the right way.

20 years later it is sitting in the back of my garage waiting for me to get my act together and get working on it.

Tetzuoe
Tetzuoe Reader
11/12/09 10:40 a.m.

88 golf, slushbox, gray, cigarette burns on the back seat, wasnt a great car but as an A-B machine and as a MKII couldnt get a better teenage car.

Was driving back to a friends house during one of those all day rainy days and lost it going around a 90 degree bend, fish tailed and got control just in time to hop the curb and smack into a rather sturdy tree, we spun around and stopped with the drivers wheel against the opposite curb.

bumps bruises scrapes and my friend got the wind knocked out of him, you could seriously walk into the dent and the bumper line was behind you.

Monts later two classmates get into accidents in the same way on the same stretch in the same conditions, spooked one pretty good (went off into the woods) the other simply wrecked. The township THEN decided to rough up the surface a bit for grip.

the next car was a 75 volvo 164, thats what really started me with this whole 'car' thing

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
11/12/09 10:50 a.m.

Wow, I was thinking about this subject just last night.

My first car, that I paid for, was a '68 Mercury Cyclone GT. A huge fastback hardtop with a ridulously tiny trunk. "First car" I was given was my sister's old car. She passed down her '54 Plymouth Savoy....THE ugliest car Chrysler ever built.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/12/09 11:10 a.m.

1992 grand prix se coupe. First i actually paid for? My 78 bondo bucket TR-7 w/. A 231 buick.

carzan
carzan Reader
11/12/09 11:11 a.m.
integraguy wrote: ...She passed down her '54 Plymouth Savoy....THE ugliest car Chrysler ever built.

Meh, I don't think it's that ugly. Seems pretty well in line with everything else that was being put out in the early '50s. Now the '61...oof...that's more my idea of ugly. What a mug!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
11/12/09 11:12 a.m.

First car I drove was an 82 Toyo Corolla 4dr Auto. We bought it from a drunk guy at a motel for $600 with 210k on the clock. Drove it through highschool and the first year of college. I put 2 starters on it and rebuilt the trans. My mom traded it in on some other car 12 years ago with 240k on it, and I still saw that thing around town until recently.

First car I bought myself was a 69 F100 shortbed with manual everything, 3 on the floor and a 390 big block. Gawdamity, it would pull stumps. That's the only vehicle I've sold that I miss.

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
11/12/09 11:13 a.m.

For me, a 1976 Cadillac Coup DeVille. This was in in about 1991 or so when I was between my junior and Senior years of HS. I paid $200 and loved that car. I remember though, that I was terrified to drive it when I got my license (had the car for months before I could drive it). I learned on the Plymouth Horizon drivers Ed car, and my dad had an Omni. So, that's all I knew till it was time to take the helm of the barge.
It was a good car, no problems. Then, I was trying to help a co-worker out by letting him borrow it since he didn't have a car and I had another one (my second car). Well, said prick parked it in a no-parking zone for a week or two till it got towed. I didn't have the money to get it out, and he wouldn't pay. I hope karma really is a beyotch.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
11/12/09 11:19 a.m.

A handed-down '98 Daewoo Cielo, which I contend is the worst car ever. Didn't go, didn't stop , didn't turn, usually didn't work, and was an industrial-strength lady repellent. Sold it to a bodywork guy who said he would scrap it, but then I saw it...guess where...at the parts department at the stealership. Fun fact: When new, it was the cheapest car the dealership offered.

I think that awful POS has been scrapped now. All you guys have such awesome first cars, I'm so jealous

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1A0Z2LWkTta8sQWbIvbI7eq1xa7THHOJ67BLTVzV5eVv143baPJo9oGuUcvraHDv