914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/18/18 3:27 p.m.

Trish's friend's grandfather bought a Caddy DTS new in 2006.  Got the nice wheels, blue cloth top, leather etc., he's 97.  The car slept in a garage under a car cover.  He was killed by mechanics for over maintenence stuff, it's got new tires, brakes all around, high end battery etc. with 70,000 miles.  It's clean as a whistle all over, even underneath.

He shouldn't be driving so she put her Corsica under the cover, he hasn't noticed as he hasn't driven in a while; the family drives it around the block once in a while.

Asking $6k, possible friends & family discount.  Thoughts?

BTW, not my cuppa tea, though am that age; and I'm quite happy with the Jetta)

Thanks, Dan

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/18/18 3:40 p.m.

It will be good at what it's good at, none of which will be fun. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
9/18/18 4:07 p.m.

I enjoy those as roadtrip cars.  Couch on wheels and decent power.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/18/18 7:58 p.m.

Is the NorthStar engine still suspect in this generation?  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/18/18 8:28 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

It will be good at what it's good at, none of which will be fun. 

I dunno; blasting Run the Jewels or Mastodon at top volume cruising down I71 at 100mph in the middle of the night in a giant loafing caddy has a certain appeal.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/18/18 9:09 p.m.

Is that a fake convertible top?  Oh dear me...

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
9/19/18 9:45 a.m.

I had a 2005, with all the bells and whistles.  Owned for 3 years, and only replaced a belt , tensioner, and the water pump as a PM while I was in there.  Pretty reliable.   But.......If it has heated and cooled seats, they are the most uncomfortable things on this planet.   A park bench is better.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/19/18 10:02 a.m.

My son just bought one of those to replace his wife's pos xterra. Didn't see that coming. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/19/18 11:14 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Is that a fake convertible top?  Oh dear me...

Landau top. Completely different. Ok, not really. A landau top is literally a fake convertible top, but with history! 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/20/18 3:26 p.m.

When I see those cars it reminds me of one thing and one thing only

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/21/18 7:05 a.m.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/21/18 11:58 a.m.

Eyyyyyy, it's Paulie Walnuts!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/21/18 12:22 p.m.

Had one of those as a rental.  Flight was cancelled from KCMO to Milwaukee and I wanted home right now.  They are great at buck-plus all day long.  Got something silly like 8 MPG doing it.  Cops don't even look at you.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/21/18 1:38 p.m.

the more I read in this thread, the more I think this would be hilarious for OneLap

Mike
Mike SuperDork
9/22/18 7:39 a.m.

I kinda like these. Cadillac have them just a taste of Art and Science styling, presumably to not offend a conservative customer base. Most examples I've seen are very well kept, and very inexpensive. It looks like a perfect vehicle for soaking up highway miles.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/22/18 8:31 a.m.

I'm surprised at just how many of them I'm seeing on the road.

My DIL has given me a few pretty funny Christmas presents in the past. I think I know who's getting a velvet track suit this Christmas...

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/22/18 12:25 p.m.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tim-allen-design-cadillac...

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/22/18 1:36 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

the more I read in this thread, the more I think this would be hilarious for OneLap

I support this idea.

For some reason I don't like big front drive Caddies but put a Buick badge on it and stick a 3800 in the nose and I'm all over it.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/22/18 2:34 p.m.

Don’t quote Clarkson...don’t quote Clarkson...don’t quote Clarkson....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/22/18 3:31 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

I'm surprised at just how many of them I'm seeing on the road.

My DIL has given me a few pretty funny Christmas presents in the past. I think I know who's getting a velvet track suit this Christmas...

https://sweatsedo.com

https://sweatsedo.com

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/24/18 1:21 a.m.

Cadillac could literally make a spacecraft capable of interstellar travel and 5 minutes later someone will install a fake convertible, padded roof.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/24/18 9:50 a.m.

I tried to convince the wife she wants it because it would make a nice road trip car. She claims to not be old enough for it despite living in a senior center for the last five months.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/24/18 11:06 a.m.

I looked at these on Craigslist locally and I feel like it's bizarro world for how cheap these are. $3000 for one in "perfect" condition. Man, regular caddies depreciate thoroughly! I am used to looking at CTS-Vs and other specialty ones that don't follow the trend. Note, that's not a dig on 914's price - these cars have 90,000 miles more than his. (150k or so miles.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNY2yCkIHV3ri4Icf2bLlnQwP1IHExdm6LfynGzCyx4iK3ya1ydDbrBvEM9kgc8N