8/1/18 11:49 a.m.
Furious_E said:

In reply to hoochmcfluff :

I'm from philly and don't get mumers...

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/1/18 6:52 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I'll still root for the Bears, and against the Packers..... don't think I'll be able to shake that till I die!  

I've never been able to understand why Packers fans view the Bears as a good-natured, traditional rivalry and the Bears fans view the Packers with pathological hatred.   Just never made sense.  

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
8/1/18 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

I honestly had no idea that was even a thing until the Superbowl parade, but Kelce's speach was epic.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/18 12:43 a.m.
stroker said:
Joe Gearin said:

I'll still root for the Bears, and against the Packers..... don't think I'll be able to shake that till I die!  

I've never been able to understand why Packers fans view the Bears as a good-natured, traditional rivalry and the Bears fans view the Packers with pathological hatred.   Just never made sense.  

You haven't met the Packers fans I've met.

There are stories of Bears having to keep helmets on coming out of the tunnel at Lambeau because Packers fans were tossing D-batteries at their heads. 

I'm sure retired Packers have similar stories at Soldier Field.  

stroker
stroker UltraDork
8/2/18 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

If that happened I'm ashamed for my fellow GB fans.  No excuse for such behavior at all, especially at Lambeau field...  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/2/18 8:17 a.m.

Some people just go nuts for these things. I'm more good natured than that. I give Packers fans crap, but in the end it's just entertainment. 

I'd like to believe most fans are more level headed like us.

BTW, you need to read,  "Mud Baths, and Blood Baths." It's stories from born sides of the rivalry. It's fantastic.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/2/18 9:06 a.m.

The Patriots march of the tomato cans will commence in a few weeks. See you all in the AFC championship game. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/2/18 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

I try not to hold it against the Patsies that they are the only decent team in the AFC, but I still do. They are like the Lakers in the 80's. All the other good teams are in the NFC.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
8/2/18 6:53 p.m.

I think the Pats have already printed the AFC east champions hats and t-shirts. 

logdog
logdog UltraDork
8/6/18 7:05 a.m.

....and Corey Coleman joins the long list of first round draft busts by the Browns.  Im assuming Buffalo traded 2 brats and some slightly damaged folding tables.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/6/18 11:27 a.m.
stroker said:
Joe Gearin said:

This is why I will always hate the Packers:

Cheapest shot in NFL history

The Bears were well on their way to back to back championships.  McMahon never fully recovered from this injury...... and neither did the Bears.  All teams have cheap-shot artists, but the Packers seem to elevate theirs.  I know that's just a warped perception on my part...... but for me, it all goes back to that Charles Martin hit.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/6/18 11:37 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:
stroker said:
Joe Gearin said:

This is why I will always hate the Packers:

Cheapest shot in NFL history

The Bears were well on their way to back to back championships.  McMahon never fully recovered from this injury...... and neither did the Bears.  All teams have cheap-shot artists, but the Packers seem to elevate theirs.  I know that's just a warped perception on my part...... but for me, it all goes back to that Charles Martin hit.   

Ironically, McMahon won another Super Bowl as Favres backup. Then hilariously wore a Bears jersey to the White House. 

That incident was more an indictment on the NFL and Martin than the Packers. The idea that a guy could take a hit-list out and not be immediately suspended is insane--and I have no reason to believe that any team in the NFL would have suspended the player on their own at the time. 

Also, wtf were they thinking allowing astroturf as a playing surface? That is insanity.

(Note: My family are all Bears fans. My wife and her family are all Packer fans. I enjoy the Blackhawks and the Cubs)

stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/10/18 8:42 a.m.

Neener, neener, neener....  :)

Seriously, the Packers might have won that game but I fear for AR's knee report...  

I think the Mack acquisition bodes well for da Bears.

The Vikings' D looks really, really impressive.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/10/18 1:10 p.m.

I don't want to rub it in but I went from considering turning off the game last night to elation watching Rodgers pick the Bears defense apart. 

Then at the end I was about to throw the remote at Matthews for a cheap late hit that almost cost them the game. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/10/18 1:56 p.m.
mtn said:

That incident was more an indictment on the NFL and Martin than the Packers. The idea that a guy could take a hit-list out and not be immediately suspended is insane--and I have no reason to believe that any team in the NFL would have suspended the player on their own at the time. 

Also, wtf were they thinking allowing astroturf as a playing surface? That is insanity.

In that era, though, that kind of stuff was a lot more common than these days. Hell, I bet more than half the league had astroturf at that time. Philly's was especially notorious for causing injuries. Fieldturf didn't start coming in until the late 90s. And even that style of play was not only allowed, but encouraged. None of which excuses that hit, of course. That's about as dirty as it gets, and I hope he got a healthy suspension out of it, but in 1986, he might not have.

Lions on MNF tonight. The road to 4-12 starts here!

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
9/10/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Wikipedia said:

Martin was ejected from the game by referee Jerry Markbreit and suspended for two games. Markbreit later said that Martin complained about the ejection until the threat of letting Bears players come after him was spoken.] After the game, the Packers defensive coordinator defended Martin, saying "We tell people that if we intercept a pass, go get anybody near you."This was the first multi-game suspension for an on-field incident in modern NFL history, and would remain the longest suspension for an on-field incident until Albert Haynesworth of the Tennessee Titans was suspended five games for stomping on the head of Dallas Cowboys centerAndre Gurode in 2006.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/18 2:10 p.m.
Joe Gearin said:

When I do catch a game I am still amazed at how talented those athletes are.  NFL football may not be what it once was, but the athletes themselves are far bigger, faster and more talented than they've ever been.  It's pretty impressive---especially if you've ever played and understand the idiosyncrasies of the game. 

That's what I enjoy about it. These guys are incredible, and they're putting in maximum effort on every play. There aren't a lot of sports where the action is so focused on a short period and obsessively filmed, and each athlete's action is reactive instead of rehearsed.

I don't watch a lot of football but it's always playing at our place. My wife likes to have it on in the background, which makes it easy to watch the last couple of minutes of a close game. I enjoy going to the occasional game as well, because being in a big crowd of people all focused on the same thing is fun. It's something we like to do when visiting a city, catch a major league sports game.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/10/18 9:19 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Lions on MNF tonight. The road to 4-12 starts here!

Looks like I may have been too optimistic. surprise

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/10/18 9:50 p.m.

When I lived in Michigan, the guys in the office would have discussions about who had it worse, them as Lions fans or me as a Browns fan.  Im pretty sure they have it worse.  That was a rough game.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/18 11:40 p.m.

Meanwhile, the displaced San Diego Rams are playing the "we're only here because they haven't finished our gold plated Vegas digs" Raiders on a baseball field. Weird.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/10/18 11:50 p.m.

Rigged

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/11/18 1:37 a.m.

I don't even own a football bat.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
9/11/18 9:59 a.m.

Way to go Chicago.  You blew a 20 point second half lead to a guy hopping around on one leg.  At least Cleveland managed to tie one of their rivals. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
9/11/18 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Fletch1 :

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LUg1F3Joz7VHmF8uo2nHmlp4XSTRH9C2rJcGgqo2OL7Zasck5dC7UgOuL9J2ZSpu