1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 9:56 p.m.

OK, so the first one was in the spring last year, I feel summer is a nice time for a game as a mid point to the end of year Secret Santa. ProDarwin hope you don't mind my stealing your first post from the last thread Link to Last Year it just worked out. Thank you and minivan racer for sorting out the tricky bits of the exchange.  

So I know a bunch of people here have vinyl cutters, or access to one.  A lot of them have also made some goofy stickers over the years - we are all aware of the Mumpkin.  Anyone interested in a sticker exchange - secret santa style? <snip>

How it will work:

• To sign up, simply post in this thread that you would like to participate.  Please do this by August 1
  • PM RevRico for his address (esseeno AT gmail for direct email) 
  • Cut 5 stickers / acquire 5 stickers.  Please make sure they fit in a standard business envelope.  Don't post them here or you'll ruin the surprise.
  • Write your name/screenname on the back of each sticker.  This will help ensure you don't get your own stickers back.
  • Send 5 stickers to RevRico, along with a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE - I had to look this up, so I'm spelling it out for others laugh).  Do this by August 8.
  • Rev will put them all in a big pile and randomly pull 5 to send to each person.
  • We'll all post pictures of what we got in this thread.

I want to participate but I don't have any cool stickers or a vinyl cutter!

No problem, just talk with anyone on the list below.  They can cut some extras for you.  Do this by July 25.  If you have a cutter and are willing to cut some for others, please let me know so I can add you to the list. (I cut the list out, not volunteering anyone else for work, but let me know and I'll add you)

• RevRico

I don't have a vinyl cutter, but I have a cool design I want to cut!

Talk with people on the list above.  Do this by July 25.

What size should me stickers be?

ProDarwin said:

FYI, this is what I used last year for business envelope:

Also, for those of you cutting stickers, a business envelope is 4.125 x 9.500.  I recommend offsetting that limit inward by .15 to 3.825 x 9.200.  

IIRC even that could get a little tight when cramming 5 in the same envelope. 

This year, I've had a couple questions about larger stickers, so entirely optional, you can do an SASE in a Manila envelope. Up to you how you send it, but the stickers coming back will definitely be under the First Class weight limit. 

I picked dates at random, 3 weeks seems like enough time, but if the thread points another way, we can adjust. Take a look over last years thread for an idea of what's going on. I didn't get to participate in the last one, so I hope I do things right. I volunteered myself to sort and send the stickers because I have the time. 

Once I get envelopes in, I'll edit in this post to keep track. I liked how Minivan_Racer kept track in the last thread, so I'm doing it too. 

• David Wallens (received)
  • Aaron King (received)
  • RaceTruckRon (received)
  • Ultraclyde (received)
  • Javelin (received)
  • MazdaFace (mazdaface)
  • A real name I don't know the forum name of (contacted)
  • Logdog (received)
  • Mndsm (harassed)
  • John in Kansas (received)
  • Failboat (received)
  • Tvr Scott (received)
  • ShawnG (received)
  • Appleseed (sorted and received)
  • ProDarwin (contacted)
  • Paranoid_Android (sorted and received)

Yes, I'm copy and pasting a form letter in my reply email. It's ok, you're getting marked down. I also check my spam folder nightly, so you should hear back from me within 24 hours. If you don't, please post again in the thread. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/8/19 9:59 p.m.

Well I'm definitely in 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/8/19 10:00 p.m.

In!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/8/19 10:27 p.m.

In. I was looking for an excuse to buy a vinyl cutter.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/8/19 11:03 p.m.

In. Anyone willing to cut vinyl for me?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 11:05 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I absolutely would be if you can send me the files. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/8/19 11:17 p.m.

Can I play too? I'm in Soviet Canuckistan...

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/8/19 11:37 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I don't have a problem with international mail, just send a self addressed envelope with your stickers and I'll cover the stamp from this end. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Dork
7/8/19 11:41 p.m.

In 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/9/19 5:06 a.m.

I'm in. Will do the PM shortly.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/9/19 7:47 a.m.

In!  Thanks for taking the lead.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/9/19 8:32 a.m.

In. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/9/19 8:38 a.m.

I'm in. Pm on the way.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
7/9/19 8:53 a.m.

In.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/19 9:23 a.m.

Totally in. (And mine will be stickers that I didn't personally cut but had professionally made for me.)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 10:08 a.m.

Cutters, when you guys say "file," what type? I've heard the term vector thrown around. What can I use to create one? I use open source photo editor GIMP to create and edit photos.  Is it applicable, or do I need something else?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/9/19 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'm new to this whole sticker thing, but I've been using Inkscape to make SVG files from jpegs. Load the jpg, select, create bitmap copy, delete jpeg, outline view, trace bitmap, done. 

Graphic design and software is NOT my strong suit though, probably much better and easier ways to do it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 11:32 a.m.

I'll look later today. I think GIMP can create  bitmap files. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
7/9/19 11:58 a.m.

No vinyl cutter, but I do have various stickers from years of buying car parts and going to car events. Does that count?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

It counted last time. I don't think it's changed. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/9/19 1:20 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

No vinyl cutter, but I do have various stickers from years of buying car parts and going to car events. Does that count?

Stickers are stickers. If you cut them, stole them, bought them, won them, it doesn't make much difference. As long as they are in my hands by say August 15, a week after the mail in deadline, they'll be mixed into a pile and distributed to everyone else. I won't even open the envelopes until everyone is accounted for.

That said if there are specifics anybody wants sent to anyone in particular, please put a note with them.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/9/19 1:21 p.m.

If you create a 2 color image in gimp the vinyl software should trace it just fine.

For vector format, DXF, EPS, etc.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/19 4:15 p.m.

Cool, thanks.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
7/9/19 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I haven't tried this in GIMP, but it seems to be possible:

http://www.useragentman.com/blog/2013/04/26/how-to-create-svg-paths-easily-using-the-gimp/

I'll be in for the exchange too

2nd Edit: Are we thinking five examples of one design?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/9/19 7:46 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

In reply to Appleseed :

2nd Edit: Are we thinking five examples of one design?

That's a good question. I'd say it is up to the sender if they want to do 5 of 1 desgin or 5 different designs, but if the hive leans one way or the other with this, we can go with majority rules?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OEqz4T5pdt1McK0sbQfRGe815jFQZPsziSu27V6t9P2WZbsIjE7dhOj8S2sptMtT