4 5 6 7 8
Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/11/22 3:21 p.m.

Acknowledged. But, Raiders didn't exactly do the Steelers any favors by winning and sending them to Kansas City for the first round either.... :)

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/11/22 3:32 p.m.
Pushrod said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Who the hell plays for a tie?

According to their body language when Staley called that dumb timeout, everyone on the Raiders' bench.  Carr even said after the game that the TO altered their game plan.  

I'm actually glad the Raiders made it in.  I hope they go deep....cause I would absolutely love to see Mahomes hang another 40 point game on them at Arrowhead.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/11/22 3:55 p.m.

I'll bet. But as weird as this season has been, Chiefs aren't a lock for anything other than hosting their first game. Will be interesting to see what the matchups are after the wild card round.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/12/22 5:35 a.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Good to talk football with a knowledgeable fan, and you bring up some interesting points. It may have changed their approach at the time, but not the strategy. To go back: Given the chance, they were always going to kick a field goal - and they were already in range. Staley calling the timeout allowed them to run another play, get closer and burn the clock. Jacob's ten yard run (& the field goal) was icing on the cake. Chargers would've been better if they hadn't done anything at all, but I get why they did it - their defense was gassed. When Staley called that timeout, the Raiders certainly weren't expecting a gift like that - they were ready to send in the kicker and accept a 57 yard try. Staley's goof allowed them to get closer (now it was 47 yards), burn the clock to 2 seconds, and take the timeout. The Raiders were driving, like it or not. They certainly didn't take a series of kneel-downs. All this talk of a tie just seems like media BS. Chargers had their chance at the end and blew it. Raiders had the ball last and cashed in. Pittsburgh getting in was just collateral stuff, and now the Raiders have a winnable game in Cincy. I'll admit, right now, the Chiefs are a better team, and for the Raiders to have to return to KC for the wild card wouldn't have been much of a reward for winning Sunday night. The AFC is loaded this year, should be some great games. Can't wait for this weekend.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/12/22 6:57 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

So you hate the Steelers. Whose your team?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 7:07 a.m.
Pushrod said:

In reply to alfadriver :

So you hate the Steelers. Whose your team?

I don't hate the Steelers, the Raiders are supposed to.  Going back to the 70s.  The Raider could have stuck it to the Steelers and Big Ben by tying, but they won and let the Steelers into the playoffs.   Which is a far bigger story than Carr and the Raiders, since he's at the end of a Hall of Fame Career.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 7:10 a.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:
Pushrod said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Who the hell plays for a tie?

According to their body language when Staley called that dumb timeout, everyone on the Raiders' bench.  Carr even said after the game that the TO altered their game plan.  

I'm actually glad the Raiders made it in.  I hope they go deep....cause I would absolutely love to see Mahomes hang another 40 point game on them at Arrowhead.

That part I didn't understand- it's not as if the Chargers had a significant chance to win the game at that point, so they should have been playing for the tie.  Odd.  I saw the Raiders coach was also considering a tie at that point.

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/12/22 9:51 a.m.

'splody bolts in NY...  

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/12/22 10:34 a.m.
Pushrod said:

Good to talk football with a knowledgeable fan, and you bring up some interesting points. It may have changed their approach at the time, but not the strategy. To go back: Given the chance, they were always going to kick a field goal - and they were already in range. Staley calling the timeout allowed them to run another play, get closer and burn the clock. Jacob's ten yard run (& the field goal) was icing on the cake. Chargers would've been better if they hadn't done anything at all, but I get why they did it - their defense was gassed. When Staley called that timeout, the Raiders certainly weren't expecting a gift like that - they were ready to send in the kicker and accept a 57 yard try. Staley's goof allowed them to get closer (now it was 47 yards), burn the clock to 2 seconds, and take the timeout. The Raiders were driving, like it or not. They certainly didn't take a series of kneel-downs. All this talk of a tie just seems like media BS. Chargers had their chance at the end and blew it. Raiders had the ball last and cashed in. Pittsburgh getting in was just collateral stuff, and now the Raiders have a winnable game in Cincy. I'll admit, right now, the Chiefs are a better team, and for the Raiders to have to return to KC for the wild card wouldn't have been much of a reward for winning Sunday night. The AFC is loaded this year, should be some great games. Can't wait for this weekend.

I wouldn't say I'm that  knowledgeable about football in general, but I certainly am about Raiders-Chiefs hatred.   

Having watched it live and then read a bunch of thinkpieces about it the next day, I still say the Raiders were playing conservatively because as long as they held the ball last they were going to go to the playoffs, and the only thing a win would do would be to bump them up one seed.   If they played for the win and turned it over or gave the Chargers the ball back there, the Chargers would go for the win and likely get it.  They weren't playing for a tie - that would have meant kneeldowns.  But they weren't gonna risk throwing it or getting cute with the clock.  Then Staley calls the TO, they take advantage of the personnel mismatch, pick up a bunch with that 3rd down run, and seal it with the kick.  

I say the following through gritted teeth:

-Bisaccia has got that team playing their asses off, and he deserves serious consideration for the HC spot if he wants it.

-Gruden got completely railroaded.  I don't like him, but he got scapegoated so the league could take the heat off Dan Snyder, who is an actual terrible human being, compared to Gruden saying some mildly racist/homophobic E36 M3 in some personal emails.

-From a neutral standpoint, I'm always gonna pull for the underdog or the sad sack.  It's good to see the Raiders break their drought.  I'm getting bored watching KC bully everyone else in the division. If the rumors are true and Rodgers comes to Denver next year, the division is gonna be a bloodbath for the next few seasons.

Don't sleep on Cincy.  They're not yet consistently great, but the offense is dangerous and can slug it out with anyone.

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
1/12/22 6:29 p.m.

Cincy's going to be tough. Burrow is a future great. Our D is going to have to get after him....:) This weekend should be a good old school cold weather game like Cleveland last year.

I don't think Rodgers goes to Denver unless there's a really good coach in place. He'll probably end up somewhere on a more established team. This will be the most interesting off season in years.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/12/22 7:45 p.m.

I could see Rodgers going to the 49ers if they can figure out a deal. He's always wanted to play for them and it's a good situation for him to play a few years, mentor Lance and ride off into the sunset.

Garoppolo and picks maybe?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/12/22 8:18 p.m.

I'm in a quandary.  My hometown team is playing my favorite team.  I pull for both equally.  Not sure how I'm going to feel come game time but right now I'm leaning towards pulling for the home team. 

And I'd also like to add that the only good thing ever about California is now in Nevada. So suck it California. 

1/16/22 9:35 p.m.

That was an..... interesting end to the 49ers game

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/16/22 9:45 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

That was an..... interesting end to the 49ers game

Given it was a mistake that gave the Cowboys a chance at the end, it was appropriate that they ended with a mistake, too.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/17/22 1:32 a.m.

Man what a great weekend.  My Bengals advanced and the Steelers went home. 

Goodbye Rapeaburger go away now. 

(Relax Nancy, it's a trash talking thread)

1/17/22 5:38 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

Man what a great weekend.  My Bengals advanced and the Steelers went home. 

Goodbye Rapeaburger go away now. 

(Relax Nancy, it's a trash talking thread)

I'm actually somewhat surprised by the outpouring of love towards him and the statements that he's a great guy.

I remember him being called Rapistburger for awhile and very demonized

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
1/17/22 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

As a Ravens fan, I'm far from a Steelers fan but I do think respecting the mans last game is classier than E36 M3ting on it. It's a big life change for him, let him have the moment. 

1/17/22 7:47 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

As a Ravens fan, I'm far from a Steelers fan but I do think respecting the mans last game is classier than E36 M3ting on it. It's a big life change for him, let him have the moment. 

I don't disagree really, just suprising.

Especially when people on Book face go on about his high personal character etc

stroker
stroker UberDork
1/18/22 10:06 a.m.

My $.02.  The Elephant in the Room of problems for the Cowboys is Jerry Jones.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/18/22 10:41 a.m.
stroker said:

My $.02.  The Elephant in the Room of problems for the Cowboys is Jerry Jones.

For most of the NFL, there's nothing wrong with that.  Even for ESPN, there's a massive amount of things to talk about for "them Cowboys" when they are losing.  

WRT this recent ending debacle, I've actually learned a lot about the game just because of that one play.  Like 1) the Umpire HAS to place the ball for every down 2) he's supposed to be 15 BEHIND the line of scrimmage (for multiple reasons) 3) teams should prepare to run a play w/o any talking 4) most players think 16 seconds is the max time that a play can be run and downed in the middle of the filed when you have no time outs.    It was pretty obvious that all 4 of those points were missed, and all contributed to the game ending that way.

And I kind of think that Dak's comments has eliminated the benefit of the doubt for penalty calls thanks to him throwing the refs under the bus when they were doing their jobs.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/22 3:57 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Agreed. And it wasn't like the Ref didn't try his hardest to get the ball set as fast as possible, but having to push his way through 300 lb linemen cost the Cowboys. But the main issue is Dak messed up - as soon as he was down he should have sought out the Ref to get the ball to.

The other one that happened during that game was a defensive lineman getting a holding call. I don't recall ever seeing that before in a game - let alone seeing it happen twice.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
1/18/22 4:22 p.m.

A little part of me hopes the quite search for our new coach means it's Leftwich but my heart knows that the Jaguars aren't smart enough to actually get him.

1/18/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'm still stunned that was the play they went with, it's definitely up there in the top 3 stupidest decisions to make. I wonder if Kellen Moore's stock really plummeted in the eyes of the teams with open HC spots?

Also interesting is apparently Dak got the snap off in time and if he had actually ran a play for the end zone instead of spiking it, it would have counted.

But really the cowboys didn't really set themselves up for glory thru out the game either

1/18/22 6:38 p.m.
Stampie said:

A little part of me hopes the quite search for our new coach means it's Leftwich but my heart knows that the Jaguars aren't smart enough to actually get him.

The Jaguars are happy to present their new head coach, Antonio Brown"

That would probably be worse than Meyer, right?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/22/22 11:21 p.m.

Interesting day today-both #1 seeds go down on last second field goals.

Pretty darned exciting game endings, too.  Pretty shocking.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHBzFCiZCJZPWbOrSIcZ2Sow2VUTqilmWELQaYyew509S2gLsBBzshVaWVS441mu