1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/22 3:02 p.m.
mtn said:

Why was Tua Tagovailoa allowed to play in the 2nd half of last week's game? Why was he allowed to play this week? How bad is this TBI? I hope that the NFLPA and Tua sue the Dolphins, the NFL, and the medical staff for what amounts to an ownership stake in a team. 

I don't mean to be a funsucker, but that was an easy one to say "nah, we need to keep him out" and they really berkeleyed up. 

So there was a good video why Tua passed the actual process to clear him of a head injury- and it came down to some flawed wording about what caused his motor skill problems.   None the less, the fact that the motor skill problems were a clear no-go red flag, and they didn't stop him- yea, there were some massive problems.

Had they caught that, I can't see him getting cleared before Thursday- BUT they did claim that he passed all of his requirements all week, too.  Which is kind of confusing.

If what happened last Sunday was not a clear no-go- there's a real problem with the system.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/3/22 3:44 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

The injuries bother me, not because they are out, but because they keep happening.  What is in the water in Allen Park that keeps all of these professional athletes so on edge WRT health?  Or is it that the are being constantly asked to "out" everything- risking injury- as opposed to better preparation and planning as well as advanced strategy for playing a game between a bunch of professionals?  

Agreed. Similar thing seems to be happening with the Tigers. I get that injuries are mostly luck, but it does seem like a lot of them have been piling up lately.

And before we think Goff and the offense is good, don't forget that we played the 1-2 Seahawks.  Who knows how good that D is- for much of the game, they knew exactly what we were doing- seeing how well the dump down man was covered.

OK, but the team literally has the #1 offense and #32 defense in the whole NFL. And that's not just against Seattle. They've scored 35, 36, 24, and 45 points in their first four games. That's a good offense, period.

It's great that the coaches are all former players, but at the same time, do they have the creativity that some of the coaches across the rest of the league have?  Or do they just rely on the old "out" everything to be the toughest.  Everyone is the toughest- that can't win you many games at the very highest level.

Maybe? I think it's too soon to tell. Certainly it looks like the lack of experience has led to some bad in-game decisions, the worst of which happened last week against the Vikings. But I never expected them to contend this year. They are still a year or two away, always were. I expected them to be competitive in every game and end up with 8, maybe 9 wins. That's very much still possible. I'm not ready to throw out the progress that's been made yet.

Also, we need a real NFL kicker, like right now.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/6/22 11:22 p.m.

Jesus.  The Russell Wilson sucks. And the broncos fans let him know it. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/22 11:58 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

yeah... what a historic game... two 4+ pro-bowl QBs... and no TDs for the entire game... 

Fueled by Caffeine
10/7/22 12:34 a.m.

smileyIn reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

That's a funny way to say dumpster fire. smiley

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/22 9:13 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Seeing that last play, for sure.  He had a VERY open player right in front of him, and he forced the pass to the player he just stared at- who was never open.  How could he miss that obvious player???  

Let alone they only needed one freaking yard to continue playing.  One yard.  The guy wasn't open, there should have been one player who just stood at the 2 yard line for the first down, and that wasn't there.  

So not only is Russell not an elite QB, the play calling is really bad.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/7/22 9:45 a.m.

Yes. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/7/22 10:12 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Seeing that last play, for sure.  He had a VERY open player right in front of him, and he forced the pass to the player he just stared at- who was never open.  How could he miss that obvious player???  

Let alone they only needed one freaking yard to continue playing.  One yard.  The guy wasn't open, there should have been one player who just stood at the 2 yard line for the first down, and that wasn't there.  

More than a few people, myself included, questioned Pete Carroll's logic when he decided he'd have better luck trying to win with Geno Smith than if he paid Russell the money to stay.  Looks like he was right.  I tried to watch that pathetic excuse for a pro football game, i didn't make it past halftime.  

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
10/7/22 11:06 a.m.

As a Panthers fan, I am upset that they canceled football this year. The team was gonna be so good, such promise, Rhule was going to best Jay-Zs 7 year record for completing his first read through of Football for Dummies. Oh well, I'm sure they'll come out strong when football is back next year. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/7/22 2:42 p.m.

I think some of that game was the result of two better than average defenses playing against two offenses trying to find their way. Both teams tried their damnedest to lose.  The Broncos tried harder. 

Here in Philly, I'm just waiting for the Eagles to implode... 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
10/7/22 6:32 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/7/22 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I laughed seeing Chad Henne.  I was like that dude hasn't been in the NFL in forever.  Then I was like he hasn't has he?  I give him props for lasting that long as a backup QB.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/7/22 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

He has subbed in for Mahomes a couple of times in clutch situations and come up big.   2 years ago when Patty went down in the playoffs, he stepped in and led the Chiefs to the win.  

Denver ass-backwards their way into two HOF quarterbacks in the last 30 (edit:  40, but who's counting) years and now wants to complain because they got fleeced in a trade?  Don't care.  Enjoy the cellar, Donkeys. 

It warms my shriveled heart that there are second graders in Denver who have never seen the Broncos beat the Chiefs.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/7/22 8:22 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Don't forget Ryan got a similar deal to Indy.  Similar that the colts gave up some, and he's playing equally as badly as Wilson.  Neither horsey team is playing well.

You are a KC fan?  We met a couple that ran a small rum bar in San Juan that are friends with Mahomes' parents.  

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/7/22 8:28 p.m.

Yeah he was always seen as a quality backup QB.  I was just surprised that he's still playing.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/7/22 8:34 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) 

You are a KC fan?  We met a couple that ran a small rum bar in San Juan that are friends with Mahomes' parents.  

I am indeed.  Grew up in Western MO watching Marty win games 9-3 and Marcus Allen run for 100 yards a game on like 73 attempts.  There have been some ups and downs since, but fan life has been pretty sweet since Andy Reid came to town.

I can't say that I expected either Ryan or Wilson to play as poorly as they have been over the last month.  I would have put both of them in the "very good, but not elite" tier of NFL QB's before the season started.   I've got no hatred for the Colts despite the fact that they seem to be the Chiefs' kryptonite, but I do take a lot of pleasure watching the Broncos struggle.  I don't know where this Nathaniel Hackett guy came from, but he is not good. 

10/7/22 9:19 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Don't forget Ryan got a similar deal to Indy.  Similar that the colts gave up some, and he's playing equally as badly as Wilson.  Neither horsey team is playing well.

Yeah, but Matty Ice didn't get a $250M deal like Russ did.

In any case, Indy needs to stop with the washed-up-QB-du-jour and draft someone. 4 QBs in 4 years, how are they ever supposed to develop any familiarity and rapport?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/7/22 9:28 p.m.

Indy doesn't know what to do unless they suck enough to get a no brainer QB at #1.  Ok after reading that I can see how it applies to my Jags but berk the Colts.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/8/22 7:56 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I'm a person without a team after 41 years of cheering for the Browns. I can't overlook what they knew about Watson and traded everything for him anyway. Nothing like being a sexual predator and getting a quarter billion dollars like you don't belong 6 feet under for being a despicable excuse of a human and using your power and strength to coerce at best and rape at worst multiple women. The NFL is dead to me. Goodell is a piece of E36 M3 enabler and has  Vince McMahon level "look the other way" skills.

Baker Mayfield is a clown but at least he was consensually getting sucked off behind the Cheesecake Factory. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/22 4:03 p.m.

Well, I have to give Dan and the crew some credit for being creative- I didn't expect the offense to get that bad that fast- getting outscored by the Pats D like that.  And going 0'fer on 4th down.  That was a sad and pathetic game.

Dan lost this team.

Some of the injuries were part of the mantra of being tough- trying to get a hit that would hurt.  You know, sometimes you just need a tackle.  And now, because of "toughness", the lions are really down on talent they never had.  They do not have any real concept of fundamentals, it seems, too- given some of the penalties that either killed or extended a drive in the worst ways.  

Let along the D being embarrassed by a 3rd string QB.  Granted, he looked pretty decent last week, but there was at least film to get an idea.  No, no point in preparing, that's for sure.

Enthusiasm and toughness does not win games.  Preparation, execution, and creativity in both do.

10/9/22 7:16 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Well, I have to give Dan and the crew some credit for being creative- I didn't expect the offense to get that bad that fast- getting outscored by the Pats D like that.  And going 0'fer on 4th down.  That was a sad and pathetic game.

Dan lost this team.

Some of the injuries were part of the mantra of being tough- trying to get a hit that would hurt.  You know, sometimes you just need a tackle.  And now, because of "toughness", the lions are really down on talent they never had.  They do not have any real concept of fundamentals, it seems, too- given some of the penalties that either killed or extended a drive in the worst ways.  

Let along the D being embarrassed by a 3rd string QB.  Granted, he looked pretty decent last week, but there was at least film to get an idea.  No, no point in preparing, that's for sure.

Enthusiasm and toughness does not win games.  Preparation, execution, and creativity in both do.

Whatever, man. I stopped being a passionate fan of this team during the Millen era, and I think it has helped me to be more objective. I still want them to win, but I'm not emotionally invested in them like I once was. 

Today was a E36 M3show, no two ways about it. But I don't think that means that Dan has "lost the team". And if you think all he is preaching is toughness and hard hitting, you haven't been paying attention. Did you watch Hard Knocks? Do you read what the beat reporters like Jeff Risdon are saying? The players LOVE him. Yes, he wants them to be tough. Name a football coach that doesn't talk about toughness. But he also treats them like adults, he doesn't belittle them like Patricia did. Maybe he's not the answer, maybe he's a good "culture" guy who's not so good at the X's and O's. 

Or maybe they are still a year or two away, talent-wise, from being good. And they are snakebit by injuries. I went into this season with moderate-to-low expectations. One bad game isn't enough for me to want to blow everything up and start over again.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/9/22 7:55 p.m.

One bad game?  They are 1-4 now.  This was the first time both sides were really bad.

And I did see Hard Knocks, I blame HBO for giving me hope.  

I still contend that the team is lost.  Maybe they like him as a person, but it must be clear that either what they are being told is very wrong, or they are not listening.  Between the penalties and the fundamentals, yea.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/9/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Personally I think it's Karma for how the front office treated Jim Caldwell.  But that's just my opinion.  I haven't watched hard knocks or really followed Dan and the boys much this year. But I believe what this team needs now just as much as talent is stability in the coaching staff.  So for that I'm willing give Campbell another year or two to get his E36 M3 together.  I mean, it's been worse. At least the Lions will have 1 win this year. frown

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/9/22 8:40 p.m.

My quarterback is Bailey Zappe? devil

Fueled by Caffeine
10/9/22 9:04 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I call him zippy zappe. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners