mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/23/20 4:01 p.m.

AT&T is running a deal, $25 a month prepaid for 8 gigs and unlimited text/calls when you pay a year in advance. I think it expires today. Best deal I've found, especially when I'm basically ALWAYS on wifi now.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/24/20 12:18 a.m.

Republic Wireless is $20 for unlimited talk & text ($15 plus taxes); $5Gb to add data.  Bring your own device. 

This seems like a screaming deal.

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/24/20 5:01 a.m.

I use Trackfone, normally you buy a phone for around $100-$200. They come with a years worth of service, granted you do have buy minutes/tex/data when you run out. It averages out to be just under $20 a month. 

It also depends on how much of the services you use. I am on Wi-Fi 99% of the time. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
9/24/20 6:01 a.m.

Wish I could find a better deal than I'm paying now.  Sprint keeps going up and I haven't changed a thing.  You would think they would do specials for long term customers but nope.  Only new customers get the deals. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/24/20 6:05 a.m.

That still seems to expensive for AT&T

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/20 7:15 a.m.

We'd been an ATT customer for ... a long time (first cell phone in 1998 by Cellular 1, then Cingular and then ATT around 2004 IIRC). Their service had gotten so bad we had no reception at a rest stop in central indiana on the way home from the challenge last year. We switched to Sprint ($35/ line unlimited data) and have been happy. Unless ATT has upped their game, I wouldn't switch back. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
9/24/20 7:18 a.m.

AT&T is by far the best coverage in Michigan, only Verizon kind of comes close.  I'm already on their prepaid plan, I wonder if they allow you to do this with an existing plan?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
9/24/20 7:33 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

Republic Wireless is $20 for unlimited talk & text ($15 plus taxes); $5Gb to add data.  Bring your own device. 

A couple of my friends got on Republic and then found that their coverage is absolute garbage. They got reception pretty much nowhere. They jumped over to T-Mobile after I ditched Tracfone for T-Mobile and had positive experiences with The Big Pink.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
9/24/20 8:40 a.m.
bobzilla said:

We'd been an ATT customer for ... a long time (first cell phone in 1998 by Cellular 1, then Cingular and then ATT around 2004 IIRC). Their service had gotten so bad we had no reception at a rest stop in central indiana on the way home from the challenge last year. We switched to Sprint ($35/ line unlimited data) and have been happy. Unless ATT has upped their game, I wouldn't switch back. 

100% location dependent. You need to ask neighbors (or have friends over with each service) to determine which is best, and it can change within a couple miles. In my area, it doesn't really matter which you have, shop on price, but it does matter for where I work and where my parents live. 

I've been on Ting for the past 4 years, this will be cheaper for more service.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/24/20 10:28 a.m.

Dumped Sprint a couple weeks ago. went to Metro , $30.00 a month and got a free Samsung Galaxy AO1.  Unlimited talk & text with 2G internet. Don't use the phone for web so it works for me.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/20 10:30 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

100% location dependent. You need to ask neighbors (or have friends over with each service) to determine which is best, and it can change within a couple miles. In my area, it doesn't really matter which you have, shop on price, but it does matter for where I work and where my parents live. 

I agree that it's location dependent. But I don't think they've kept up with maintenance. Areas that we used to have coverage started dropping. Not just our phones but my parents as well. We havent moved in 16 years but our signal got worse towards the end. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
9/24/20 10:34 a.m.
bobzilla said:
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
bobzilla said:

I agree that it's location dependent. But I don't think they've kept up with maintenance. Areas that we used to have coverage started dropping. Not just our phones but my parents as well. We havent moved in 16 years but our signal got worse towards the end. 

That could also be that they switched towers, stopped leasing the tower near you, or if you switched phones it is no longer receiving the band that the tower near you is broadcasting. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/24/20 10:39 a.m.

Hmm, that would be right about the same price as Google Fi is for me.   But better if I am away from wifi for a while.

I like my google features though.  But I also hate them.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/24/20 2:24 p.m.
NickD said:

A couple of my friends got on Republic and then found that their coverage is absolute garbage. They got reception pretty much nowhere. They jumped over to T-Mobile after I ditched Tracfone for T-Mobile and had positive experiences with The Big Pink.

That should be a moot point these days. Republic currently lets you choose whether you want to be on T-Mobile or Sprint...Originally the only Republic option was Sprint.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 2:27 p.m.
Driven5 said:
NickD said:

That should be a moot point these days. Republic currently lets you choose whether you want to be on T-Mobile or Sprint...Originally the only Republic option was Sprint.

Could also be an issue with the phone itself. I have republic and find almost never do I have a coverage problem. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
9/24/20 2:41 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

Wish I could find a better deal than I'm paying now.  Sprint keeps going up and I haven't changed a thing.  You would think they would do specials for long term customers but nope.  Only new customers get the deals. 

We've been with Sprint forever. Month or two ago when the merger was getting further under way we 'switched' to T-Mobile $100 for 4 lines unlimited TTD.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aolZCf3SpCkfs2UpdhPEt8ZyMNuaQ1spIwfmaSnr3bPhz9HfuW311pU1paH6QADd