1 2 3 4
joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
6/20/11 10:45 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I love that in the US we can't show nudity but we can show explosions and killing on TV all day. I would prefer to have a boob shoved in my face then a gun. I love British comedies because they make fun of everyone. The best episode of TV is The German by Fawlty Towers.

No, you started it, you invaded Poland!

Joey

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
6/20/11 11:50 p.m.

Speaking as a white man in America. I don't see what the fuss is about. I have never gown out the USA not to Canada or Mexico. But I believe that "black man" does not have the same definition out side our borders. If it does it can only mean that our media TV,Movies and so on. Have done a grate job.

As a Man what I find offensive is the story's of: I was at " " (insert the name of your favorite place) and I was the only "white" person.

As for straight teeth, they are nice to look at. But teeth that are fixed with braces. No good! They look as natural as weave hair.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
6/21/11 12:07 a.m.

you treadin on thin ice yugo boy ... every single dentist I ever see asks if i've had braces... I have not... and my hair is naturally long and curly...

what polotician was it some years back that referred to a a native of sub Saharan African (aka black not arab african) as an "african American african"? some of the PC stuff is just silly... I have friends from a very liberal town that work at a very liberal university... I'm always ammused at the PC corrections they try to get us to use...

as for the UK... I was amused at how many fattys they have... but when I got back to the states I did note that while they have some rather large peeps I never saw those walmart people that make you feel sorry for the ground they roll upon (as they are in the electric buggy because walking would just kill them)

one thing I didn't get was the fashion... in my world leggings aren't to be worn as pants... especially by a 200+lb woman... but those women at the park sure sported em like it was normal lol

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
6/21/11 3:06 a.m.

honestly- what kind of a person pops into your head when someone says the word "Escalade"?

and how big are the rims on the vehicle he is driving?

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
6/21/11 6:22 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: honestly- what kind of a person pops into your head when someone says the word "Escalade"? and how big are the rims on the vehicle he is driving?

That's the point hahaha. Just because it's "true", you just can't say it here in America. When hundreds of people of a certain national background or race orchestrate a deadly terrorist attack you are not allowed to look for or target people that fit that profile

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
6/21/11 7:23 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: honestly- what kind of a person pops into your head when someone says the word "Escalade"? and how big are the rims on the vehicle he is driving?

Actualy around here every Escalades I see is pearl white, driven by perfect trophy wives with 4 hour a day work out bodies while the nanny takes the kids to day care/school/soccer/play dates etc. They all have stock chrome wheels too.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/21/11 8:10 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: honestly- what kind of a person pops into your head when someone says the word "Escalade"?

Country club set white woman with oversized sunglasses and a phone upside her head even though the Escalade has a bluetooth hands-free option.

Why?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
6/21/11 8:24 a.m.

Soccer mom.

Joey

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
6/21/11 8:59 a.m.

We have a kid here at work that drives one, in white with 24" rims. He has a new set of rims it seems almost every week. He still lives at home and puts all his money in it. It can no longer have things thrown in the back because it is all taken up with stereo equipment.

As for soccer mom's, around here the Sequoia is SOP.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/21/11 10:16 a.m.

Frat boy.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/21/11 10:20 a.m.

Oh one of my good friends was born in South Africa but she is of English descent. She is now an American citizen so doesn't that make her African American?

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
6/21/11 11:38 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Yes !!!!!! She is more one than I am.

To say no would open a can of worms.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
6/21/11 11:53 a.m.
donalson wrote: you treadin on thin ice yugo boy ...as for the UK... I was amused at how many fattys they have... but when I got back to the states I did note that while they have some rather large peeps I never saw those walmart people that make you feel sorry for the ground they roll upon (as they are in the electric buggy because walking would just kill them) one thing I didn't get was the fashion... in my world leggings aren't to be worn as pants... especially by a 200+lb woman... but those women at the park sure sported em like it was normal lol

Don't get me started on that. I eat lots and move little. Is not a handy-cap!!!!!!!!!

ransom
ransom HalfDork
6/21/11 12:03 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
That's the point hahaha. Just because it's "true", you just can't say it here in America. When hundreds of people of a certain national background or race orchestrate a deadly terrorist attack you are not allowed to look for or target people that fit that profile

While many (most?) stereotypes have their basis in some sort of fact, that doesn't make them universally true, or even usually true.

I'm a big fan of that whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing we have, and I've got issues with somebody from any given group having their normal, law-abiding, daily lives messed with because some group they're a member of (by birth and not any choice of their own) happens to currently have a frothing psycho incidence rate of 0.0003% instead of the 0.0002% of the population at large.

It's also a pretty big jump from poking fun at perceived differences in terms of choices in personal transportation and fashion to accusing an entire swath of the population of something as grave as that.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
6/21/11 3:27 p.m.
NickF40 wrote: I just don't get why we're so uptight compared to for instance Britain, you can tell a huge difference listening to TV over there including Top Gear.

We're more uptight than the British. Damn, you could put coal up our asses and in two weeks you'd have diamonds.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
6/21/11 4:53 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:

Jokes are one thing but racial profiling bothers me. I mean most of serial are white (Robert Lee Yates, Rodney Alcala [Dating Game Killer], Joe Ball [The Alligator Man], Herb Baumeister, David Berkowitz [Son of Sam], William Bonin [The Freeway Killer], Jeffrey Dahmer, Carroll Cole, Christopher Wilder, etc] plus Timothy McVeigh, Jim Jones, Hilter and Stalin were all white. White people have done just as awful things but that doesn't mean everyone of them is a killer.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
6/21/11 8:04 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
That's correct. But, if I, being a honkey, was doing something that is part of what serial killers do, maybe hanging around elementary school yards or buying cases of duct tape and rope(?) I'd have no problem being questioned. Jokes are one thing but racial profiling bothers me. I mean most of serial are white (Robert Lee Yates, Rodney Alcala [Dating Game Killer], Joe Ball [The Alligator Man], Herb Baumeister, David Berkowitz [Son of Sam], William Bonin [The Freeway Killer], Jeffrey Dahmer, Carroll Cole, Christopher Wilder, etc] plus Timothy McVeigh, Jim Jones, Hilter and Stalin were all white. White people have done just as awful things but that doesn't mean everyone of them is a killer.
MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
6/21/11 10:31 p.m.

I hear that most pedophiles are white males as well. DrBoost, do you mind if I just call you boytoucher from now on? You're white, you're a male; there's no escaping the stereotype.

You're in a ToysRUs? You say you have kids? I see. That middle school graduation you were at the other day; that was to see your niece? That's quite a telephoto lens you have there. Nice weather to be at the park. There sure are a lot of kids here with their families. Say, you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, would you?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
6/21/11 11:07 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: I hear that most pedophiles are white males as well. DrBoost, do you mind if I just call you boytoucher from now on? You're white, you're a male; there's no escaping the stereotype. You're in a ToysRUs? You say you have kids? I see. That middle school graduation you were at the other day; that was to see your niece? That's quite a telephoto lens you have there. Nice weather to be at the park. There sure are a lot of kids here with their families. Say, you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, would you?

If I were at a middle school graduation and I didn't have a niece, sure, ask away. If I'm at a park with a telephoto lens taking pictures of other people, ask away.
If am hitting on a few "hot buttons" for a known activity and I fit the profile, ask away. To me, that's better than just having open borders that anyone can walk into, take flight lessons or learn to make bombs, spend decades planning an attack, carry out an attack and kill many, many innocent people.
Once, years ago I was profiled. I was pulled over because I was driving a beater over the border from Detroit into the suburb I lived in at night. It was quite obvious what was happening. I had nothing to hide. My wife and I answered the questions a few times each to different officers, they checked a few things and let us be on our way. As I collected my information from the cop I said "I know why you really pulled us over and I thank you." He just smiled and said "have a nice night folks". See, at night lots of thugs drive from Detroit into the suburbs to commit crimes. He saw a beater coming from Detroit into this suburb. I had a cracked windshield so there was a reason to pull me over.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
6/22/11 1:03 a.m.

Guess why they use profiling...

IT WORKS

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
5/8/14 9:41 p.m.

Big and Rich?

Seriously.. Anyone who thinks you couldn't head down to the Walmart around the corner from me and pick out a few cars/trucks/suvs which standout from the crowd, and correctly identify the skin color of the owner with reasonable accuracy, be it white, brown, or black is suppressing some racism.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
5/8/14 10:18 p.m.

Back after three years?

Are we still talking about this?

I keep a Lincoln in the garage. Lincoln is old money, Cadillac is new money. It's always been that way.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
5/8/14 10:20 p.m.

In reply to PackardMan:

A forum member just bought a brand new caddy and, while I don't know his exact age, I'm sure he is nowhere near 70.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
5/8/14 10:26 p.m.

In reply to PackardMan:

I think Cadillac has been doing it right here recently.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
5/9/14 6:07 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Back after three years? Are we still talking about this? I keep a Lincoln in the garage. Lincoln is old money, Cadillac is new money. It's always been that way.

could well be a canoe (zombie thread, sounds canoeish)… 1st post …etc …

we'll keep an eye on him

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pCKv3GF6zyDP3zrKY4Q6tRY0Tj2RH6TkZxegGcG33dnJhK2mPRLLUU9jKeRyUtxb