1 2 3 4 5
paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
3/7/18 6:48 p.m.
tr8todd said:

I listen to the heavier stuff when I'm alone, but around the house cooking dinner with kids running around, I tend to tone it down a bit.  Here is a list of some softer family approved bands.  POD, Deftones, Evans Blue, Parabelle, Red, Chevelle, Hell Yeah, Stone Sour, Tool.  Especially like Parabelle's acustic stuff.  That being said, I'm sitting here with some Meshuggah cranking, and just finished some old school Iron Maiden.

Pre-Dickinson old school maiden?

I forgot to put the Deftones on my list too...

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/7/18 6:52 p.m.

Someone has not been getting mentioned enough.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
3/7/18 6:59 p.m.

In reply to ncjay :

Megadeth is the emo whiner of mainstream metal.  Notice that Metallica's music got way better after Mustaine's influence was surpassed/expunged.

A general rule I have is that if any song's first line starts with "I", or has "I", "me", or "my" in it, just stop the playback then as it's going to suck.  Megadeth has a lot of I/me/my lyrics.  Metallica generally never does, and most that do are from Ride the Lightning and earlier.  (Master of Puppets gets a pass because it's written from the perspective of a concept, not a person)

paranoid_android
3/8/18 6:27 p.m.

Forgot about this one- Transcension by Sleepers Awake.  Described as “sludgy prog metal.”

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
3/8/18 8:04 p.m.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely HalfDork
3/9/18 12:32 a.m.

I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention Cradle of Filth.

Are they hated becouse they have a woman in the band?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/9/18 12:43 a.m.

I don't know most of what y'all are mentioning,  my Pandoa has Tool, Slayer, System of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, SOD, MOD, AC/DC, Black Flag, Metallica, Black Sabbath, DRI,  Suicidal Tendancies, ICP (and their family), Marilyn Manson, Minor Threat, The Exploited, Slipknot, Motorhead, One Day As A Lion, Nirvana, Prodigy, The Offspring, Misfits and Danzig, White Zombie and Rom Zombie, Social Distortion, F.E.A.R, Motley Crue, GnR, Five Finger Death Punch.... ...but the one I don't know if I've heard yet that should fit in here is Butcher Babies, if you like chicks screaming to metal check it out

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
3/9/18 6:47 a.m.

In reply to pjbgravely :

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/9/18 3:55 p.m.

I had a hankerin' for some old school Thrash last night, but I wanted to check out something I never listened to before. So I gave this one a shot:

WHOA. 

Sanctuary has always been on my radar, because Warrel Dane (vocalist and also vocalist for Nevermore, RIP), but I never listened to them. Just what the doctor ordered. Now I need ALL THE SANCTUARY THINGS. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/9/18 4:09 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/9/18 7:38 p.m.
pjbgravely said:

I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention Cradle of Filth.

Are they hated becouse they have a woman in the band?

I've never been into cradle. When I want something more.....melodic, I prefer traditional scandanavian black metal. Idk. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/10/18 8:00 p.m.

Dream Theater were fantastic up until around Train of Thought album then they lost me. Liquid Tension Experiment is solid stuff. If you can find it, they have an awesome live album called When the Keyboard Breaks. They were playing a show and Jordan Ruddess' keyboard broke so the rest of the band played on (and switching instruments) while he was on the phone with a tech from Korg keyboards trying to repair his keyboard.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
3/10/18 10:16 p.m.
dxman92 said:

Dream Theater were fantastic up until around Train of Thought album then they lost me. Liquid Tension Experiment is solid stuff. If you can find it, they have an awesome live album called When the Keyboard Breaks. They were playing a show and Jordan Ruddess' keyboard broke so the rest of the band played on (and switching instruments) while he was on the phone with a tech from Korg keyboards trying to repair his keyboard.

There's an interesting interview with him, in which he tells that story, on the Rick Beato Youtube channel

pjbgravely
pjbgravely HalfDork
3/11/18 1:02 a.m.
EvanB said:

In reply to pjbgravely :

I was hoping the user with the Denholm Reynholm avatar would call me a ghoul. I forgot Denholm probably listens to classical. Once I found out the band was real, the rest was history.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/11/18 3:47 p.m.

One of the biggest questions regarding metal: Priest or Maiden?

paranoid_android
3/11/18 5:53 p.m.

Maiden here for sure

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/11/18 9:14 p.m.

Metallica

logdog
logdog UltraDork
3/11/18 9:18 p.m.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/11/18 9:24 p.m.

Seeing that picture brings up the mention of Zakk Wylde. Pride and Glory wasn't really metal per say but a solid band nonetheless.

Not really metal but Marcus King Band is worth a listen. He is barely old enough to drink:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoyLGXdl9E

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
3/11/18 10:04 p.m.

I have something like 500 gb of music on an external hd and pretty much all of it is metal from damn near all genres.

I was just listening to that so I'm looking forward to that album now.

Ihsahn has been my favorite black metal act since his Emperor days, but the new stuff he's been putting out where he plays around with styles is great.

Priests new album is awesome too. 

paranoid_android
3/11/18 10:12 p.m.

In reply to logdog :

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/12/18 8:20 a.m.

Priest or Maiden? That's a trick question...

stroker
stroker UltraDork
3/12/18 8:44 p.m.

Borrowed The Essential Judas Priest from the library because of this thread...

paranoid_android
3/13/18 2:18 p.m.

Cradle of- Maiden?  NSFW, “motherberkeleyers!”

pjbgravely
pjbgravely HalfDork
3/14/18 11:05 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android : Marvin, I didn't realize that was a cover song. I just thought filth felt like gettng mellow for once. Maiden rules.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
04qYlUts7v4XvfXBDCKpAxVLgrfR815dB4ca3Yo1uHYFSLeLMT9ymYbXZxGqeUFA