1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
3/19/18 10:42 a.m.
Brian said:

Has this been an episode of Black Mirror yet?

In Nosedive, the main character's transportation options were restricted by her social credit ranking...that's the closest.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
3/19/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Brian :

Next season I hope. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
3/19/18 11:08 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to dculberson :

So, you are saying that all we have to do is preface any stupid idea with "A Modest Proposal", and all can ignore it and it will therefore be acceptable?

Heck, I think we could safely ignore most stupid ideas, especially random transportation policy ones posted here.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
3/19/18 11:28 a.m.

I’m reminded of the post from several years ago where someone proposed that older people should have reduced voting privileges (i.e., since they won’t be around very long to live with the consequences of their voting decisions, their vote should only count ½, ¼, whatever, as much as those of younger people).

Checking the poster’s profile revealed that they were young (shock face surprise)

I’m sure that poster wouldn’t mind waiting until he was old to have his fantastic improvement implemented so he’d never receive extra influence for being young; Instead, he’d only have his rights stripped away for being old…funny how often everything comes down to a simple question of whose ox is getting gored.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/19/18 11:53 a.m.

Just in case there are those out there who aren't familiar with Johnathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal"    Here's where the saying comes from: (he wrote it in 1729) 

A Modest Proposal

If you haven't read it....you should.  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
3/20/18 6:23 a.m.

Was Aerosmith's "Eat the Rich" itself a satire of Swift's "A Modest Proposal"?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
3/20/18 2:32 p.m.

Look, I am just trying to prevent the children of poor people from being a burden to the roads of this country, and for making roads beneficial to the public.  

Jonathan "pinchvalve" Swift

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5Ob5SRnxy4hvE90eAaBOMMMX8HXMHI3NeBHMjH9ngvmHsc6MyPLLLZ2waYVu1ykJ