Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
2/23/11 10:14 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/23/ford-recalling-150-000-f-150-models-for-faulty-airbag-deployment/

According to the story a mis-installed wire could chafe, short, and then throw an airbag at you. Sounds like fun. I want to hear the whole story about the guy that leapt from his truck though

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
2/23/11 11:10 a.m.

Only on trucks assembled on first shift? Could it be that an idiot managed to keep his job due to the UAW?

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/23/11 12:15 p.m.

Mk4 vws were recalled for this too a few years ago.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/23/11 12:20 p.m.

10:1 says that uncle sam is about to bail out Honda, take a 48% ownership stake, and then the NHTSA will force ford to suck for a year and a half

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/23/11 12:22 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Mk4 vws were recalled for this too a few years ago.

The side airbags?

RossD
RossD Dork
2/23/11 12:32 p.m.

Hey, I have an '06 F150 with air bags! I win!

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/23/11 1:34 p.m.
pilotbraden wrote: Only on trucks assembled on first shift? Could it be that an idiot managed to keep his job due to the UAW?

Or some shiny happy tyrant of a supervisor insisted it be done that way. I have seen both scenarios.

I have never worked at Ford so am not in really in a position to comment.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
2/23/11 2:16 p.m.

wonder what day of the week it was made ?

heard a lot of horror stories about cars made on Mondays and on Fridays...

of course they'll keep their job... that's what a union is for isn't it ?

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Reader
2/23/11 2:43 p.m.

I thought that was the drowsy driver feature. You fall asleep and a pillow deploys for you.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/23/11 7:37 p.m.

Heh. My favorite Ford airbag recall was the ones way back in the '80's which had the 'ignitor' screwed into the housing. The 'propellant' wasn't properly cleaned from the threads during assembly, meaning that during a deployment the propellant would burn a hole through the aluminum housing and set the steering wheel on fire.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/23/11 9:36 p.m.

I think it was the side airbags on the vw, if I remember right the one first hand account of it actually happening that I read only the passenger side side air bags deployed. The local vw dealer said one had come in there with blown airbags too, but long after the recall.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/24/11 10:04 a.m.

just proves that airbags are evil

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
2/24/11 11:24 a.m.

I work at a Ford dealership. The line of people getting their VIN's checked is beginning. LOL

oh joy...

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
2/24/11 12:07 p.m.

I think in some cases airbags probably do help alot, but I think that it's also true that they can have little to no benefit sometimes, and can even potentally cause worse injury than not having them. It just depends on what kind if accidents you plan on getting in. Lol.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/24/11 12:13 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I think in some cases airbags probably do help alot, but I think that it's also true that they can have little to no benefit sometimes, and can even potentally cause worse injury than not having them. It just depends on what kind if accidents you plan on getting in. Lol.

If "accidents" are planned, aren't they really "purposes"?

Airbags exist, if only to placate morons who think their cars must protect them regardless of their own stupid actions.

There are probably other reasons, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FFHcZL783gqUP5diF3puPu4PTvRFubfRFHDqtR5MhGbltURvhCZNhzoWy9f0CwGN