Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/28/18 12:34 p.m.

I am a musician.  That is to say, I am a vocalist who dabbles with a few instruments.  I have been writing some songs and have a home studio set up with a couple cardioids, a good Audio Technica studio condenser, interface, and a killer laptop with Audacity and a few other studio softwares to try.  My experience with instruments has been primarily orchestral.  I can debate the qualities of Oboes, Trombones, and pianos with anyone.

Right now the only instrument I own is an Alvarez 6-string with a pickup and I'm getting a Midi keyboard for Christmas.  I just built a Cajon yesterday (pictured below).  I want to get some other perc instruments like a tambourine and maybe some brake drums, and input drum from a 4L60 (they sing nicely) and other random stuff to whack on.  Possibly a banjo, a mandolin, a harmonica, and whatever else I happen to come across at yard sales and CL.

The point is to get cheap/free instruments.  Quality is not a super high concern, as I never intend to do live performance.  I'm more of a single-track recording person at this point.  I just want to basically get the tracks on wax in a sorta demo fashion.

Help me pick an electric based on the style of music I like and want to do (links below)

The Low Anthem (check out those Crotales) I have dreams of making crotales from something like brake drums even though they're cast and not forged
Gregory Hoskins
Serah Cahoone This one is clearly a slide steel, but that sound could be created with a slide on a traditional electric
Angel Olsen
Mary Glenn

Clearly, in the singer/songwriter/acoustic vein, but sometimes electric adds something I want in my music.  But I'm pretty clueless on electric guitar styles/sounds.

Here is the Cajon.  Clearly a budget piece but it sounds pretty good.  12" x 12" x 23"... mostly because those were the scraps I had around the shop.  The port is 4" to push the bass down a bit and it seems to hit around 80-90 hz.  The top/bottom and back are cabinet grade 3/4 ply, the sides are 1/2" pine ply, and the Tapa is just luan.  If you were to buy all the ingredients from scratch, it might cost you $20 to build.  I glued and stapled because I didn't want to rabbit joints and try to clamp it.  This way it took me about 45 minutes to build.  I want to add snare to it, but not worried about that for now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/28/18 12:43 p.m.

My personal choice would be any cheap Stratocaster copy- with the 5-way switch even a lousy one has enough variety to help you dial in whatever sound you want, and most generic Strat parts will fit if you decide you want a better pickup in one of the positions, or even ditch the stock electronics entirely and buy a pickguard already loaded with everything.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
11/28/18 12:45 p.m.

For versatility I'd get a Telecaster. They do pretty much everything really well. A big part of sound shaping comes with amplification too. If you don't want the bulk and cost of a quality amp there are actually a few good emulating softwares or a second hand modeling amp can be pretty handy.

Pretty broad question but that is my 2c.

A strat is not a bad choice but man did Leo ever screw the pooch on volume knob placement. Also, just my opinion, but a 25.5 scale is just wrong (yes I know Teles have this problem but they are just so good that I can ignore it. Don't get me started on that 25" nonsense going on over at Paul Reed Smith.)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/28/18 12:57 p.m.

I agree; a Telecaster or Stratocaster would be what I would be after. They are both versatile instruments that can accommodate a variety of music and playing styles.

Squier makes some decent licensed copies of the expensive Fender instruments. Something from their Vintage Modified series is a step up from the really cheap stuff and is still affordable, so that would be my choice. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/28/18 1:14 p.m.

The neck is the biggest factor in which guitars I like or dislike. Everything else can be swapped easily enough. Go play some stuff and see what neck shape/thickness is comfortable for you.

My $.02. YMMV.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/28/18 3:10 p.m.

I have done a bit of recording (years ago) with the electric just plugged directly into the interface.  I understand that the "real" way to do it is to put a mic in front of an amp (which I have), but this is one of the things I don't have any experience with.  How to make the different sounds (short of a full complement of fx pedals).

Like how many pickups do I need?  What do the different pickups do?  Any books/videos to read/watch?

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
11/28/18 4:03 p.m.
Curtis said:

I have done a bit of recording (years ago) with the electric just plugged directly into the interface.  I understand that the "real" way to do it is to put a mic in front of an amp (which I have), but this is one of the things I don't have any experience with.  How to make the different sounds (short of a full complement of fx pedals).

Like how many pickups do I need?  What do the different pickups do?  Any books/videos to read/watch?

You don't "need" more that one pickup.  If you want 1 guitar to do everything I like H/S configured guitars.Generally, I tend to play rhythm on the single coil and the lead on the humbucker on the bridge. Mellow to more juice for solos. Any more settings than that and I won't use them. That's me though.

Neck scale, radius, weight, tone.... it's like asking what kind of car to buy. You're going to have to see what you like.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
11/28/18 4:05 p.m.

If you are on the book of faces you should join Awesome Cheap Guitars. 

I own over 2 dozen guitars and paid under 200 for most. While strats have their place they also have noise in 95% of cheap single coils, 60 cycle hum can be damn annoying. Cheap strats are plentiful because everyone makes one but if you go the single coil route i would upgrade pickups.

I would go tp the nearest pawn shop and play everything, you dont really have a definitive tone that you want so its gonna come down to hearing them all in person

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/28/18 5:13 p.m.

The $100 Guitar Project shows what can be done on the cheap. I'd say that my best $200 purchases are a 20-year-old Mexican P-bass and a fretless '80s Peavey bass. Both came from our local shop, too, meaning they were set up nicely. 

But, yeah, pick up some guitars and see what you like. I have both a Strat and a Tele. My Strat is a JDM '57 reissue, but I do dig that Tele, too. It's a Mexican standard bought used for $350 or so. There's something in its simplicity. 

I bought way too many pedals at first. I just couldn't get happy with my amp. Then I bought an early-ish Fender Blues Jr. amp for like $225. Now I just add some overdrive every now and then. That amp is perfect as is. (Just remembered that it has an aftermarket reverb tank installed, but that's like 20 bucks or so.)

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/28/18 8:40 p.m.

I don't think there is any other way than heading to the nearest guitar center or similar and sit down with a few different types to see what fits you best. It is such a personal preference. For instance I cannot stand the feel, sound and ergonomics of the most popular guitar on the planet and if I was to go out and buy a strat type because it was the most versatile it would turn me off the idea of playing all together 

My suggestion is more on the recording side. Do yourself a favor and drop the sub $35 on the Joyo "American sound" pedal via Amazon.  It is cheap and sounds shockingly great as a direct box. 

I have used one direct into the PA at a bar and was amazed by what came back out of the monitor at me. 

Anyway super cheap to experiment with. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
11/28/18 9:10 p.m.

Come down to the Ryan Fowler guitar experience on Joppa Rd in Parkville. I'm practically walking distance to it. You'll be able to demo some recording gear set up up various ways and likely bounce off some ideas regarding making instruments, heck they'd be a potential distribution channel as well. Dave is around this month as well and might be up for a drive and to hang out and jam. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/28/18 9:11 p.m.

I really like the neck on Brent Hinds Flying V, but I forget which classic the neck profile is based on.

Not that it matters, I can't play worth a damn!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/29/18 5:31 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

One point I’ll add: almost every modern guitar is capable of being a pretty good guitar with a proper setup. Just budget an extra $50-$100 and find a good luthier nearby. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/29/18 9:55 a.m.
Curtis said:

RE: Pickups: Anything with a humbucker in the bridge position and single coil in the neck should cover any sound you’re looking for, from bluesy/clean to br00tal metal. 

And +1 on the setup. Worth the $$$

Antihero
Antihero Dork
11/29/18 10:19 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to Curtis :

One point I’ll add: almost every modern guitar is capable of being a pretty good guitar with a proper setup. Just budget an extra $50-$100 and find a good luthier nearby. 

I agree with this, there are a few to run screaming from but its usually on a guitar to guitar basis rather than an entire brand.

Our bass player gigged a $69 rogue bass, thats $69 new btw, for awhile and it sounded pretty good. Fretwork was....stupendous for such a cheap bass no fret leveling was needed. I was able to set it up and put a super low action on it, threw on some flats and it was a machine for a long time for him.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
11/29/18 11:31 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That neck makes a les paul feel like an ibanez. Seriously thikk, or however they spell it these days.

Fantastic fiddle though.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/29/18 11:59 a.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to z31maniac :

That neck makes a les paul feel like an ibanez. Seriously thikk, or however they spell it these days.

Fantastic fiddle though.

Yeah, even though I have tiny hands and not much reach, it just feels much more comfortable than my Strat to play.

I looked it up, it's based on the 1958 Flying V "rounded profile neck."

And the Lace Hammerclaw pickups are fantastic. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/29/18 5:00 p.m.
Jumper K Balls said:

I don't think there is any other way than heading to the nearest guitar center or similar and sit down with a few different types to see what fits you best. It is such a personal preference. For instance I cannot stand the feel, sound and ergonomics of the most popular guitar on the planet and if I was to go out and buy a strat type because it was the most versatile it would turn me off the idea of playing all together 

My suggestion is more on the recording side. Do yourself a favor and drop the sub $35 on the Joyo "American sound" pedal via Amazon.  It is cheap and sounds shockingly great as a direct box. 

I have used one direct into the PA at a bar and was amazed by what came back out of the monitor at me. 

Anyway super cheap to experiment with. 

Will do.  Good tip.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/29/18 5:02 p.m.
Antihero said:

If you are on the book of faces you should join Awesome Cheap Guitars. 

I joined.  Oh my gosh.  Great folks and I'm way down the rabbit hole now.  Not sure if I should thank you or curse you, but good page. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/29/18 5:07 p.m.

I'm also looking at DIY kits.  I wanna GRM the E36 M3 outta one of those.

So I think I've decided to go HS, HSS, or HSH (whatever kit I can find) and maybe a semi-hollow (but not too worried about that part for a starter).

Good source for kits?  I tried Reverb and Amazon.  Found a ton of LP and Strat/Tele kits, but no HS

and dumb question.... is it safe to assume that all of them have a way that lets you control which pickups get used?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
11/29/18 6:22 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS6bPFoCIkc 

Brian May's guitar. Not so pertinent, but a great watch.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
11/29/18 6:52 p.m.
Curtis said:

I'm also looking at DIY kits.  I wanna GRM the E36 M3 outta one of those.

So I think I've decided to go HS, HSS, or HSH (whatever kit I can find) and maybe a semi-hollow (but not too worried about that part for a starter).

Good source for kits?  I tried Reverb and Amazon.  Found a ton of LP and Strat/Tele kits, but no HS

and dumb question.... is it safe to assume that all of them have a way that lets you control which pickups get used?

Pitbull, and GuitarFetish are 2 good places for kits. Theres quite a few out there though. Ive built a couple Saga kits too that were....ok

ACG is a cool place and a great resource for cheap guitars

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eE8LY6VXqZuqx5UQ2VHd8bFaKhIMgfJf2GBk3kJZFQLnemzCl4q9xRCj8i9qWAMh