1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 10:40 a.m.

Anybody else slowing down?

I’ve built enough cars in my lifetime that I know it takes me 3000-3500 hours before it’s ready to go on the track to sort it out.  

In  my youth I could work faster but then I’d need to redo things so I just accepted the 3000- 3500 hours and with steady effort,  sure enough that’s what it took.  Didn’t matter if it was for me or a customer.  

But almost 71 I’m slowing down.  Yesterday a project I predicted would take me 4 hours is now approaching 12 and best case I’ve got 4 more hours left.  

I’m not lazy. Or distracted. It just takes more energy than I had in my youth.  I pause because I’m breathing hard and sweat is covering my glasses so bad I can’t see anymore.  As soon as I clean my glasses and stop breathing hard I’ll hit it again. 

Yet Im still thinking I should be able to get this done.   But adjusting seems impossible. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/19 11:21 a.m.

I think it's important for people to aware of and respectful of their age.  It's all too common for some who has gotten older to hurt themselves trying to do something like they did all the time when they where younger.

Don't get upset or depressed, just roll with it, you will be better off in the long run.  (Clearly if there is some out of the ordinary thing going on, you should be concerned)

In your case, an adjustment of expectations (of yourself) might be in order.  Call it being realistic.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/15/19 11:36 a.m.

Do you know any young people who could help you build cars, in exchange for you passing down your knowledge? 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
7/15/19 11:45 a.m.

I'm just over half your age and feel the same way. Seems like you are doing pretty well to me!! Unless you need to work faster to be able to live, make money, etc. don't sweat it. If you do need to go faster it's about time to hire someone to do the grunt work and have the opportunity to pass down some knowledge.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/15/19 11:53 a.m.

If you are still building at 71, then you are doing OK.  Pretty sure the Molvo will be my swan song as far as big projects is concerned. The 4000 hours is pretty spot on for what it takes to do this stuff.

Edit... I AM lazy. Just not very good at it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/15/19 12:08 p.m.

Someone once said that age is just a number. They were full of crap. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
7/15/19 12:13 p.m.

You got 12 years on me. I find that lately I sit and dread something longer but after I actually start it's like old times- except for a few extra aches and pains the next day. We've started walking early every morning and it really helps with my energy level. You sound like you are really active to me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/15/19 12:17 p.m.

I'm 59 next month.  More and more, I try to live my life patterned after the old joke...

A young bull and an old bull are standing on a hill, looking down at their herd of cattle.  The young bull said, "Hey, lets run down there and berkeley a cow."  Old bull replies, "Lets walk down and berkeley them all."

Priorities.  I'm trying to maintain some level of fitness.  I'm trying to regain some flexibility.  I'm trying to remember what we were discussing...

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
7/15/19 12:18 p.m.

Bwaahaha!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
7/15/19 12:53 p.m.

Reading this at *coughcough* 31 and thinking I am slow and achy right now. If I'm still at it when I hit 71 I'll consider myself lucky.

Granted, my 31 years have been pretty full throttle. I need a new knee, shoulder, ... vision takes longer to adjust. damn.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/15/19 1:24 p.m.

I'll be 64 on my next birthday in September. So far, I'm mainly in denial.

My grandfather lived to be a hundred, and didn't retire until he was 84.

I can't see working as a full-time small animal vet till that age, but I intend to keep going at the stress factory until at least 70 then back off to something less intense.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/15/19 1:37 p.m.

My problem is that delusional part of my mind says do it while the common sense part says, "Not Today"

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 1:47 p.m.
aircooled said:

I think it's important for people to aware of and respectful of their age.  It's all too common for some who has gotten older to hurt themselves trying to do something like they did all the time when they where younger.

Don't get upset or depressed, just roll with it, you will be better off in the long run.  (Clearly if there is some out of the ordinary thing going on, you should be concerned)

In your case, an adjustment of expectations (of yourself) might be in order.  Call it being realistic.

That is the really hard part, mentally adjusting that  something I could comfortably do in 4 hours now will take me 16. 

That means a car will take 17,000 hours?  

In addition my early 60’s. I could still crank out 15-18 hours of straight work a day.  No time off, no vacation, work at work and come home and work on the house, cars,  etc.  7 days a week. 

Suddenly in the last 3-4 years it started getting harder and harder to put in productive work.  

I like hard work, pushing myself. I go to bed and quickly fall asleep. But hard as I work my wife puts me to shame. In spite of her diabetes and the resulting weight she works rings around me. 

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
7/15/19 1:55 p.m.

Frenchy, Have you had a check-up lately? Could be a simple diet thing....

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 1:57 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 :

No it’s not about need anymore. It’s about desire.  I had to give up flying off and landing on aircraft carriers long ago.  

I sold my last Vintage ready Jaguar 7-8 years ago but I still desire  to come screaming into turn 5 out-braking the competition and taking the exit away from him.   One ready to do just that sits waiting for me to get busy. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 1:58 p.m.
NermalSnert said:

Frenchy, Have you had a check-up lately? Could be a simple diet thing....

At my age they are free, plus I’m required to have a complete physical to keep my commercial license which earns me the extra Jing to play. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/15/19 1:58 p.m.

10 years younger and I've stopped doing certain things that make things take longer. Like instead of carrying a 10 bolt GM rear axle from truck to garage I'll go get the hand truck, so I lose the time it takes to go get the hand truck.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
7/15/19 2:04 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 2:15 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

10 years younger and I've stopped doing certain things that make things take longer. Like instead of carrying a 10 bolt GM rear axle from truck to garage I'll go get the hand truck, so I lose the time it takes to go get the hand truck.

Now that’s just normal. In my youth I’d muscle stuff around because I didn’t own a hand truck.  I didn’t have a engine hoist,  etc. 

Now I have all those ( and spend a little time keeping them in decent shape so they’re ready when needed) 

But bending over is getting hard.  The ground is a long way away and once down getting back up requires forethought and planning.  It’s not just jump up and get the next thing.  

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/15/19 2:15 p.m.

Maybe consider building a Honda instead of a Jag at this point......

Kidding! Stick with the Jaguars.

You should ask yourself why the timeframe matters, and whether you are having fun. It's supposed to be a hobby, so if you are not feeling it then go back in the house. I am getting up there too and I no longer push my hobbies at all. I come in at 10 pm instead of 1am and sometimes I just go out there and look at the car and do nothing. But I know after forty years of projects that I will be more motivated tomorrow, or next week, will work a little harder then. You may be similar, so just slow down and smell the roses.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/15/19 3:52 p.m.

Motivation is a problem for me.  I say yes to stuff, just so I'm committed, and then I have to go.  Invariably, I enjoy it, but dragging my ass off the couch is tough.  I don't have a lot to prove anymore.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/15/19 4:02 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Well we seem to be twins.  But I’m 65 and the slowing down started several years ago.  The smallest task now has me panting like crazy and sweating like a pig.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/19 4:05 p.m.

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas - 1914-1953

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/15/19 4:28 p.m.

I'm pushing 60 and darn near in the best shape of my life.  Having kids late in life will either kill you or keep you in shape.  This bit of advice:  once you get past 40, you'd best be engaging in some sort of regular fitness regimen.  Have a plan.  When you get out of shape as you get older, you don't get back into shape as quickly, and you're more prone to injury.

I will bike until the day I kick the bucket.  And I don't go at a relaxed pace.  I attack hills and time every workout.  Also, bodyweight exercises.  Currently a member at the Y, and lifting weights three times a week, but we'll see if I keep that up.

If you don't use it, you'll lose it!  Get off the couch, blow up the TV, and throw away the potato chips!

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
7/15/19 6:20 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

I'm pushing 60 and darn near in the best shape of my life.  Having kids late in life will either kill you or keep you in shape.  This bit of advice:  once you get past 40, you'd best be engaging in some sort of regular fitness regimen.  Have a plan.  When you get out of shape as you get older, you don't get back into shape as quickly, and you're more prone to injury.

I will bike until the day I kick the bucket.  And I don't go at a relaxed pace.  I attack hills and time every workout.  Also, bodyweight exercises.  Currently a member at the Y, and lifting weights three times a week, but we'll see if I keep that up.

If you don't use it, you'll lose it!  Get off the couch, blow up the TV, and throw away the potato chips!

Frankly I don’t do pretend work, Any energy I have I want to produce something,  do something.  Actual work.  

I was almost 40 when my first child was born, my second came 5 years later.  I guess that’s late in life.  

The upside is grandchildren.  I live on a lake and you wouldn’t believe the joy they have playing around in the water. On the floaties. Boats etc 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CMknyVUjpX1zpK8InCtsgX8NEEwUj1rzefyituDtBPGBKx9iIGAVZhdyOpJswVtX