1 2
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/27/21 8:23 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Good point - I actually have a mat under the chair. The larger casters help if I manage to off-road my chair from the mat into the carpet.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/26/21 1:26 p.m.

I recently went through this, too, and a friend who owns an interior design firm also recommended the Aeron. But I'm cheap, I told her.

I also wanted something without arms so I could sit and play guitar. 

I looked at too many chairs on Wayfair but didn't know what was good and what as junk. I'd see the same photo but different brands, prices and specs. 

So before hitting "buy," I googled something like "retro office chair." 

Laura Davidson came up at the top of the results and, I admit, the company name caught my eye. Seems like they just do office chairs. I went with their Soho Fabric--kind of that classic look but in fabric. It came with optional arms. Free shipping and, with a coupon code (right there on the site), total was like $238. Shipping was quick, and the chair feels well made. The details are more retro than Office Depot, if that makes any sense. 

I've been using it for a week and so far, so good. 

Storage box for those arms.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/22 9:49 a.m.

Since this did get bumped (likely by a canoe), I'll add a tip that I've discovered.  Previously, we'd buy the chair and then put one of the plastic mats underneath for our hardwood ro vinyl plank floors.  Then I discovered these, and did away with the crazy mats.  I have no affiliation with the company, but we've ordered 5 sets so far and absolutely love them.  So much better than dealing with the plastic mats!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G643EU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
4/10/22 10:29 p.m.

Another vote for the Aeron, and the roller blade style wheels as linked above. My setup is a standing desk and an Aeron converted to bar height with a taller piston and attached for rest hoop.  It makes it easy to switch between sitting and standing throughout the day without having to raise and lower the desk. I find I spend more time standing, but having a great chair at the ready is beneficial. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/20/22 7:28 a.m.

Spam again in this thread, deleted. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/8/22 11:40 p.m.

for what it is worth, now that this thread as been bumped due to watercraft.  My desk chair is the old passenger seat from my BMW 318ti.  Mounted it to an old chair base, it is comfy for hours worth of use. Just wish it had arm rests.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/10/22 12:22 p.m.
mad_machine said:

for what it is worth, now that this thread as been bumped due to watercraft.  My desk chair is the old passenger seat from my BMW 318ti.  Mounted it to an old chair base, it is comfy for hours worth of use. Just wish it had arm rests.

Look at autonomous, they aren't cheap, but they are nice. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/10/22 5:09 p.m.

Has anyone tried Pitstop Furniture?  They look cool, but not sure if they are comfortable. I'm actually looking for a new chair now.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
11/10/22 8:03 p.m.

Since this topic is up I will share my trick, a better back.  It is about 20 bucks and is basically a back support with straps that go around your knees.  Works in any chair and forces you to have correct posture when sitting by putting pressure in the lumbar region.  I actually sit in my anciant beat up office chair with the better back when my back hurts and in a half hour I can walk without pain.  Not kidding, this has been the best.  Neighbor tried it after I saw him hobbling around, he could not believe how much better he felt.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/24/23 5:26 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

We swappped those wheels onto a bunch of chairs at the firehouse a while back. They are literally racing chairs now. And there is wagering. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
5/25/23 11:32 a.m.

In reply to porschenut :

I actually did try one of those a ways back- and found that while it did marginally improve my lower back it killed my knees...

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
2/6/24 10:25 a.m.

Bumping this because I'm taking your guys' advice.   I just sent a request to the purchasing department for this Herman Miller Aeron chair for my office:

https://www.madisonseating.com/shop/aeron-chair-by-herman-miller-highly-adjustable-posture-fit-carbon/

I hope you guys are right and this is allows for several hours of seating comfort.  I'll report back when it arrives.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
POCsHjH7JNW4XbXXGw8hXoGJ3tUtwUrPhbLWiKXYnICWNDmO7uBRPLqioM6SCWIs