1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/19 4:26 p.m.

.... I finally got her to go shooting with me. 

We picked up a .22 upper for the 1911’s.  She’s good with the .22. Not so much with the .45. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/13/19 5:15 p.m.

Tell her to move that thumb away from behind the slide.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/13/19 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

That's why I kinda prefer the underhand grip, not despite but because of big knobbly hands.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/13/19 5:29 p.m.

Lord I was scared this was going in a different direction.  So glad it didn’t.  

If this is her first time shooting, give her some time.  She’ll do better with the .45. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
4/13/19 5:30 p.m.

I only got the Mrs. out one time.  She said she was really nervous and her form would have been considered "horrible" by any shooting coach.  She then proceeded to shoot the best 10 round group my Springfield XD has ever dispensed.  She looked at me and said "Am I done?"  Since I had recently seen "Mr & Mrs. Smith", and I'm not secretly a deadly assassin, I said "sure" and let her go into the house.  

surprise

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/13/19 5:47 p.m.

Dr.Linda wouldn't touch a handgun for a year after 1 round of (45) hardball through a Star PD. She qualified for her concealed carry with my 1911 because we only had steel jacketed 380's for her gun during the great 380 drought.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/19 6:30 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Tell her to move that thumb away from behind the slide.

We talked about that a few times. It lightly nipped her and she had an “aha” moment. 

Hardest thing to beat into her thick head was booger hook off the bang switch and being aware of where the gun is pointed at all times.  Those things come with practice and persistence in my part. Overall a good experience for us both. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/13/19 6:42 p.m.

Interesting side note... had cycling problems with the kit in my full-size Springfield loaded frame. It’s onlynhad 3-400 rounds down the pipe and the hammer spring off the bottom is stiffer slowing the cycling of the slide not letting it eject. When I slipped it onto my compact frame which has 1500-2000roubds through it it cycled flawlessly. All the springs in it are a little softer in comparison and it worked better. Her grip was better on the full size frame because there’s more to hang onto!  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/13/19 7:05 p.m.

There was a woman at work.  She was kinda liberal, but the delusional, not evil type, open minded and a really nice person.  Didn't/wouldn't own a gun, etc.  Never fired a handgun, fired a rifle once, I think.  At office gun day, I had my Desert Eagle with the 44MAG barrel.  She shot it and had fun with it.  Not too many women have fired a Desert Eagle.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
4/14/19 9:33 a.m.
Dr. Hess said:

There was a woman at work.  She was kinda liberal, but the delusional, not evil type, open minded and a really nice person.  Didn't/wouldn't own a gun, etc.  Never fired a handgun, fired a rifle once, I think.  At office gun day, I had my Desert Eagle with the 44MAG barrel.  She shot it and had fun with it.  Not too many women have fired a Desert Eagle.

Wait, you have an office Gun Day??

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
4/14/19 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Scott_H :

You don't?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/14/19 9:48 a.m.
Scott_H said:
Dr. Hess said:

Well, yeah.  Doesn't everyone?  We rent an indoor range for the afternoon, rent guns for those without one or who want to try something different, everyone gets one box of ammo.  Besides the 44MAG Desert Eagle, I brought my 300BO "pistol" with some cast subsonics.  Best "team building" event there is.  Better than Laser Tag. And we're a silicone valley "tech" company.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
4/14/19 10:03 a.m.

Nope, no guns on the property.  The manager did take us to a shooting range outside of Vegas one year while at SEMA.  All of the usual stuff and then a couple 50 cal options.  Cool stuff.

-Scott

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/14/19 10:19 a.m.

Being a California company, our policy is "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
4/14/19 12:13 p.m.

We've got some friends that have been "anti-freedom."  Jewel's best friend from high school (C), and her husband (J), really it's mostly C that has an issue, and J just capitulates, happy wife happy life I guess. 

We've taken them shooting with us a few times and they've had fun, so much so that I took J to his first ever gun show to get his hands on a variety of things, and they eventually bought their first firearm, a Mossberg 500 for home defense and fun.  Granted they've owned the thing for 2+ years and haven't fired it yet, but C has gotten onboard by buying a fancy leather hard case for it, a fancy leather range bag, and some other accessories.

C warmed up to the idea of a shotgun in their home, but for some reason a semi-auto .223 rifle with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, and a black paint job, is too scary to have in the house.  C won't let J buy one, so over the past couple Christmases, much to C's chagrin, I've been giving J AR parts.  I'm making J buy his own stripped lower, but this Christmas J will have everything else he needs to assemble his own AR. devil

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
4/14/19 4:14 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I’m a liberal, possibly delusional, probably eVil, very open minded, mostly nice, and have a pile of guns. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
4/14/19 4:46 p.m.

We got the wife a 1911 22lr recently too, she loves it

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/14/19 7:19 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I’ve taken a bunch of anti-gun types out shooting.  In general it’s about making sure they have fun and get a sport perspective on it.  In general I start them out with my match 22 stuff and step them up to making noise without hitting much 357-45.  Like Daniel Tosh asked, have you ever seen someone ride a jet ski without a smile on their face?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 8:09 p.m.
bobzilla said: Overall a good experience for us both. 

The best possible result of this exercise. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 8:11 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

I've been giving J AR parts.  I'm making J buy his own stripped lower, but this Christmas J will have everything else he needs to assemble his own AR. devil

This needs to be in the "Who did you enable today?" thread when it happens.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
4/14/19 8:14 p.m.

Liberals want less government interference in their lives.

Authoritarians want more government interference.

The terms got conflated due to our media's use of a one dimensional political scale instead of a two axis one.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/15/19 10:12 a.m.

I went shooting with a friend once, he brought two guns a .22 pistol and the biggest loudest pistol at the range.  What ever the big one was he explained that it didn't have auto features because they just reduce the power.  I had a decent grouping with the .22 and its 2.5" barrel, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the hand cannon.

One more my baby's momma's last boy friend was in law enforcement.  She reluctantly learned how to shoot at his request, not much later she shot herself and end her life.  This was done a few months before my daughters wedding.  Some people have a good reason for not wanting anything to do with guns.

Carry on.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/15/19 10:16 a.m.

Also learned that we both love the smell of burnt gunpowder. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
4/15/19 12:05 p.m.

We just started a new tradition last Thanksgiving to 'dispose' of our Halloween pumpkins that we have neglected on the front porch and in the house. We set them out and use them for target practice. I'm pretty sure it's only the 2nd time my wife has fired a gun before, and it's just a single shot 410 from when my dad and his brother's were kids but she enjoyed it but did struggle with aiming as it just as a single bb on the end of the barrel. I'm thinking of picking up a small handgun or rifle for future target shooting as it's something I haven't done for a while and really enjoy it.

My 7 yo daughter also shot it a few times (with help from me and a good safety training before). She also seemed to like it but only wanted to take a few shots before stepping back and watching.

Just another reason I truly enjoy or move out of city limits and having a couple acres of land.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
4/15/19 12:25 p.m.
Scott_H said:
Dr. Hess said:

Every day is Office Gun Day if  you are self employed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ICUJ182jtvX9Ynlhve3JACw5u38YfjHjeqLxFE8GN7vTsrNXaPPZuNL4WGYJxRYD