2 3 4
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/15/19 6:00 p.m.

Four weeks ago today, quadruple bypass.  Walked a mile today, had a nap.  Went to work today and wrote pay cheques.  Too early to tell whether I will have more energy and feel better than before, but I have some early morning evidence that blood flow might be better.blush

No racing this year, since I can't imagine my sternum taking an impact with a pair of shoulder belts.  Hell, I know I've sneezed exactly seven times since March 18. 

Modern medicine rocks.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/15/19 8:21 p.m.
No Time said:

So after reading this thread and doing some online research, I saw the studies on NMN and also some in NR (Nicotinamide Riboside).

Has anyone found conclusive, or at least sound scientific information about which is better (NMN or NR)?

I have both in my amazon cart, so I’m trying to decide which one to go with, and I’m hoping someone has found more info comparing them that I was able to find. 

When I first read about the NMN, I dug into it.  I can read scientific studies.  Finding one takes a bit of work.  I went through a couple layers of "reports" by people who were likely told by someone else what the study said (you know, "journalism.")  Then I finally found the study.  Dis guy gave NMN to old mice and young mice.  The old mice, when on NMN, would do their little mouse jobs more efficiently.  It didn't do E36 M3 for the young mice.  I've been taking the NMN since.  I have already mentioned it, but my arm is much better since taking it, and I've noticed other age related problems have improved.  I also have some of the NAD+, which I bought by accident.  The people selling it say that the NMN converts to NAD+ in the liver, but the NAD+ stuff is wiped out in the liver if you eat it, so they recommend sub-lingual on the NAD+.  I'll take a scoop of that NAD+ sub-lingual in the evening if I'm feeling like I've been exposed to the funk (everyone at work has kids) and I managed to not get sick last winter.  Call it anecdotal, but I'm a believer.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/15/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

SWG, sounds like you are on the mend.  Yeah, no racing for you.  I bet they said no car riding/driving either for a while.  Like I said, you're held together by some stainless safety wire at the moment, so act accordingly.

No Time
No Time Dork
4/15/19 9:55 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Thanks for the reply. 

I found the articles on the testing with mice interesting and the performance increases for the old mice were positive.

I also came across references to NR with positive results from earlier studies and some ongoing or recently completed clinical trials, but no published results yet. The claims seem related more to the ability to increase NAD+ levels through oral administration compared to NMN.

Because some of the NR research seems to have some connection to brand name supplements (niagen), which makes me wary of the results. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVPqneh4FxqGiF27Q2uE7xKQ0Y3Jv3Bxz2e3dfd8oHpgUboqasiXHDAQXsOWi6gA