1 2
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/20/08 11:51 a.m.

Another attempt to deal with a problem the US government isn't dealing with:

Lawman's raids on Immigrants...

I do find it interesting that if you are looking for Hispanic illegal immigrants, it is considered profiling to target Hispanics. Isn't that kind of like pulling over black people when you are looking for a white bank robber (or whatever), don't want to profile now...

P.S. I have no problem with immigrants, in general very hard working decent people, I just wish there was a better process. Ignoring illegal activity is just wrong (if you are going to ignore it, you might as well make it legal!)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
6/20/08 11:54 a.m.

What those jackasses are doing is very wrong, it is profiling. To use your argument, they could just as well say they're looking for black drug dealers and start randomly searching black people, I mean they're looking for BLACK drug dealers so it's not profiling, right?

The comparison to looking for a single person whose race has been identified doesn't work well.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/20/08 12:03 p.m.
Arpaio dispatches teams of sheriff's deputies into Hispanic communities where they stop people and arrest anyone who cannot prove he or she is a legal U.S. resident.

First, he isn't stopping people for crimes, or reasonable suspicion of a crime.

Next, they get arrested for not being able to prove their citizenship. A passport is the only single piece of identification that will prove citizenship. That's why it takes three other forms of ID to get one. Heaven forbid somebody should be Hispanic and have misplaced their wallet or not have their ID on them for whatever reason.

Born In East LA anyone?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/20/08 12:07 p.m.

All the other police should have tackled this guy to the ground and fired him long ago. What's the hold up? I feel like I'm watching a satire movie here.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/20/08 12:07 p.m.

Arpaio's been a publicity clown for a long time now. Anything to get on the nightly news. Maricopa county deserves better.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
6/20/08 12:28 p.m.

Holy disappearing posts batman!

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/20/08 12:39 p.m.

I posted something, decided it was redundant, and deleted it.

Apparently, when you delete a post, it still shows you as the most recent poster.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/20/08 1:16 p.m.

First of all I must point out I don't necessarily agree with this behavior, I just find it interesting. I mean they know (I don't know, but I am sure they know) that most of the people in this area are illegal, they know the illegals are of Hispanic decent, that almost seems like probably cause... But then again how would anyone do anything that would give you reason to check there immigration status? What, do you wait for them to commit a crime? (in which case they end up using a LOT of tax money in a prison).

The illegals know they are illegal, the people in the town know them and clearly will do nothing to help, maybe this makes them somewhat culpable? Maybe this is the price they pay.

But really, the problem is the Federal Governments. It is analogous to a city the refuses to do something to prevent people from speeding down a street, so the residents who live on the street do something (which will likely be a less than ideal solution).

seann
seann New Reader
6/20/08 2:29 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I posted something, decided it was redundant, and deleted it. Apparently, when you delete a post, it still shows you as the most recent poster.

ditto

seann
seann New Reader
6/20/08 2:32 p.m.

never mind, I missunderstood someones post, subject confusion will get you every time (damn grammar). I'm just going to stop posting on this thread now.

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
6/20/08 3:51 p.m.

All I want is that we know who is in our country,

any country should expect that.......even....MEXICO

WE are NOT going to deport all of them , impossible

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/20/08 4:38 p.m.
beaulieu wrote: All I want is that we know who is in our country, any country should expect that.......even....MEXICO WE are NOT going to deport all of them , impossible

I totally agree with this, but I would add: - That they are not bringing in diseases (a little late for most) - They have some concepts of how this country (is supposed to) work. - I have to say, I would honestly prefer that they speak English (more so for their benefit than others)

Salanis
Salanis Dork
6/20/08 4:40 p.m.

With all the pandering back and forth about how illegal immigrants help/hurt this country, the most comprehensive evaluation I've heard of actually found they had a pretty neutral net effect on our economy.

Hey! Free market capitalism! If people weren't giving them jobs, they wouldn't be here!

Keith
Keith SuperDork
6/20/08 5:03 p.m.

You'll be glad to know that you have to have a health check in order to get a green card. Everyone, relax. I don't have TB.

Of course, I've been in the US for almost seven years. So if I DID have TB, it wouldn't have been a case that I brought with me.

In Grand Junction we have consumption AND the black death available for your catching pleasure. Seriously.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
6/22/08 11:47 a.m.

Hey, In Atlanta we have Consumption, Black Death, Botulism, Anthrax (the bad kind not the band), Polio, Small pox, and any other germ or biological nasty you can name. Its call the Centre for Disease Control.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
6/22/08 7:19 p.m.
porksboy wrote: Anthrax (the bad kind not the band)

You say that like the band is actually good...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/22/08 7:42 p.m.

honestly, you want to stop illegial immigration.. crack down on the jackasses to hire illegals rather than paying normal wages to citizens of the US.

If people are afraid to hire illegals, then there will be no reason for them to come to the US. I think we should start with all the rich and influencial people who use them as groundskeepers, maids, cooks, and cleaning people.

therex
therex Dork
6/23/08 9:43 a.m.

You know, here in Prince William County, similar legislation has been passed. Basically, if you are accused of a crime, your immigration status is checked. If you are an illegal immigrant, presumably bad things happen.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-03-04-0101.html

They've also been doing worker raids, and a largish contractor here local got busted for having something like 15 illegal workers. I'm with mad_machine...if you want illegal immigration to stop, simply take away the motivation...problem solved.

seann
seann New Reader
6/23/08 10:02 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: honestly, you want to stop illegial immigration.. crack down on the jackasses to hire illegals rather than paying normal wages to citizens of the US. If people are afraid to hire illegals, then there will be no reason for them to come to the US. I think we should start with all the rich and influencial people who use them as groundskeepers, maids, cooks, and cleaning people.

Just like gay marriage and ANWR (southern/homophobe/caribou/what have you strategy), immigration is very polarizing, and probably won't affect the vast majority of folks who are voting in the slightest.

So if you are going to try to curb illegal immigration, I definitely agree that this is the best way to go about it. But I'm not sure that's really the point and you can make a much bigger show about it by putting up fences and policing the borders. If you can make it look like the other guy doesn't want to protect us from terrorists then double sweet!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/23/08 10:22 a.m.
therex wrote: You know, here in Prince William County, similar legislation has been passed. Basically, if you are accused of a crime, your immigration status is checked. If you are an illegal immigrant, presumably bad things happen. http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-03-04-0101.html They've also been doing worker raids, and a largish contractor here local got busted for having something like 15 illegal workers. I'm with mad_machine...if you want illegal immigration to stop, simply take away the motivation...problem solved.

I keep hoping Loudoun and Fairfax will follow suit.

I agree with taking away the motivation. I'm not sure I'm entirely against the crackdowns.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/23/08 10:24 a.m.

Well, apparently in Los Angeles they have come up with a great plan. They want to check most people that are put in jail to see if they are illegal!!! In other words, they rarely check now!!

I find this rather amazing. The city councilman had a good point though, she said that this does cost money and it really is a federal problem. I am not sure if they realize (they are elected officials) that there is a cost involved with incarcerating the illegals and maybe there is an offset on the cost of checking!

therex
therex Dork
6/23/08 4:48 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I keep hoping Loudoun and Fairfax will follow suit. I agree with taking away the motivation. I'm not sure I'm entirely against the crackdowns.

Last I hear the illegals were seeking refuge in the People's Republic of Maryland.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/23/08 4:58 p.m.

What I find funny in all this is Mexico raises hell over the right of illegals trying to get into the US, but they do far worse to illegals from Central/ south america who hop the border into mexico (presumably to with the goal of making it to the US)

Just wish I could remember my sources for that.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
6/23/08 8:49 p.m.
therex wrote:
ProDarwin wrote: I keep hoping Loudoun and Fairfax will follow suit. I agree with taking away the motivation. I'm not sure I'm entirely against the crackdowns.
Last I hear the illegals were seeking refuge in the People's Republic of Maryland.

I wish they would seek refuge in Mexico. Or their respective countries.

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
6/23/08 10:17 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: What I find funny in all this is Mexico raises hell over the right of illegals trying to get into the US, but they do far worse to illegals from Central/ south america who hop the border into mexico (presumably to with the goal of making it to the US) Just wish I could remember my sources for that.

http://www.vdare.com/awall/070516_memo.htm

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
zngwXE7JI0EhPlptDN2Pe0c2CmKUUZ8htCQR42hoDPVOAMXF645gSKBIc1AmKVZx