1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/20/19 12:20 p.m.

Is not dead.  

It appears he has picked up another OWI.  I really wish he could keep it together.  The story I read shows he really is struggling now that he is alone. 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/20/19 12:24 p.m.

Obviously being shunned by family and Public humiliation is not a deep enough bottom...

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/20/19 12:44 p.m.

He was a cool dude at the 2015 Challenge. I remember him spending my 3 minutes of Concours time talking with Lil Stampie. He wasn’t doing it because Lil Stampie was a fan (no clue who Al Unser Jr was) but you could tell he liked a kid that was into cars. Al will always be my favorite just for those 3 minutes he spent. 

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
5/20/19 12:46 p.m.
Stampie said:

He was a cool dude at the 2015 Challenge. I remember him spending my 3 minutes of Concours time talking with Lil Stampie. He wasn’t doing it because Lil Stampie was a fan (no clue who Al Unser Jr was) but you could tell he liked a kid that was into cars. Al will always be my favorite just for those 3 minutes he spent. 

Yep, agree. He was happy to sign my hat that day!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
5/20/19 12:48 p.m.

Addiction is a terrible thing. I was hoping he had finally beaten it, but it seems not. sad

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
5/20/19 12:49 p.m.

"Unser was pulled over at 1:12 a.m. Monday when an Avon police officer clocked his black Volkswagen Beetle..."

what self respecting man drives a VW beetle. 

As much as I want to assume its pre 1953 and give the man some credit, he was speeding. Maths say this must be post 97. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/20/19 1:00 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

Really?

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/20/19 1:13 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

"Unser was pulled over at 1:12 a.m. Monday when an Avon police officer clocked his black Volkswagen Beetle..."

As much as I want to assume its pre 1953 and give the man some credit, he was speeding. Maths say this must be post 97. 

The kind that doesn't give a E36 M3 because he's won the Indy 500 twice and has nothing automotive left to prove.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
5/20/19 1:19 p.m.

Little Al was always a good guy and one of the most accessible drivers on the CART circuit in its heyday.  He always had time for the fans.  I wish him nothing but the best and hope he can beat his demons.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/20/19 1:37 p.m.

This blows i hope he can find happiness in something, like Stampie and Robbie said he was straight up awesome at the 2015 challenge and he and I had a great talk about what it was like at the Cleveland Grand Prix going from 5 wide to single file for turn 1.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/20/19 2:23 p.m.

Poor guy.  He did some great things but addiction can strike anyone down.  These days it's accepted that some people are genetically preprogrammed to addiction.  That's why some people can try coke, heroin other E36 M3 and take it or leave it while others are an addict the very first time.  Lot's of people have done stupid E36 M3, but I really feel sorry for people with substance addiction and end up on the downward spiral.  

1994 Indy with 'the BEAST' one of my favorite stories.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/20/19 4:13 p.m.

Some times, a good guy just has a bad day.sad

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/20/19 4:22 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Poor guy.  He did some great things but addiction can strike anyone down.  These days it's accepted that some people are genetically preprogrammed to addiction.  That's why some people can try coke, heroin other E36 M3 and take it or leave it while others are an addict the very first time.  Lot's of people have done stupid E36 M3, but I really feel sorry for people with substance addiction and end up on the downward spiral.  

Here's a tip, don't try coke, heroin or other E36 M3 the first time, problem averted.  And once you know you have a problem, how about staying away from driving?  There are lots of people out there who don't want to be maimed or killed because you can't use Uber. Driving drunk isn't having a bad day...it's putting innocent lives at risk. I don't care who he was, he should be banned from driving before he plows through a kid at a bus stop.  

APEowner
APEowner Dork
5/20/19 4:28 p.m.

Damn.  I hate that.  He's a genuinely great guy and I was hoping that he'd finally licked his alcohol problem.  I hope he can climb back on the wagon before his life falls completely apart again.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
5/20/19 4:46 p.m.

He can come and stay at my place, 

Only addiction here is old car stuff and old car magazines.

He really needs to go some place where no one gives a sh.t  who he is ,  and  away  from his "friend's" who are also addicted. 

I wish him good health .

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
5/20/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

So much that. The headline could have easily been Al Unser Jr kills 2, charged with dui. The sympathy with an addiction goes away when you endanger people who had nothing to do with your addiction. 

Nice guys can make a bad decision and kill people too. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/20/19 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That is why I posted this.

And I was a big fan during his early Indy career.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/20/19 4:59 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

He can come and stay at my place, 

Only addiction here is old car stuff and old car magazines.

He really needs to go some place where no one gives a sh.t  who he is ,  and  away  from his "friend's" who are also addicted. 

Actually you may be just what he needs.  

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/20/19 5:26 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

I wasn't referring to drunk driving as having a bad day. I was talking about falling off the wagon.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/20/19 5:57 p.m.

I do hope he can get his act together and make better decisions.

Side note:  What the heck is an OWI?  I had to look it up.

Around here, and in most parts of the civilized world, that's a DUI.

Operating While Intoxicated?  Seriously? 

Sounds like something they could charge an MD with.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/20/19 6:37 p.m.

I quit drinking 25 years ago.  I feel for the guy - it could’ve easily been me.  

I too hope he can find the answers as he’s a great guy.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
5/20/19 8:13 p.m.

Iirc from drivers ed growing up in Colorado, OWI was blood alcohol between .005 and .01. DUI was .01 or over. Not sure if it's the same wherever this was but 2 drinks can get you into that OWI territory.

Drinking and driving is absolutely not acceptable, but at least in Colorado it wasn't "black and white". And I thought it meant "operating while impaired".

​​​​​

Wally
Wally MegaDork
5/20/19 8:44 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Side note:  What the heck is an OWI?  I had to look it up.

Around here, and in most parts of the civilized world, that's a DUI.

Operating While Intoxicated?  Seriously? 

Sounds like something they could charge an MD with.

I had never heard of it either and when I first read it I was hoping for an amusing owl story.

I really hope he gets himself together.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
5/20/19 8:52 p.m.

Maybe Indy_Guy should invite Al Jr. to join his Challenge team?

Toebra
Toebra Dork
5/21/19 7:44 a.m.

Kid has been in the spotlight a long time

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YuYnkaFr19isdnwzR2eYEKmmUAZZPdD9YdezN652TUMKCjOO1cdyV9wW7w6BSACL